What's new

Passing Component Through A Receiver? (1 Viewer)

AllenLC

Agent
I have an Onkyo Receiver (see signature) and it has 2 two sets of component video inputs and one output set.
What is the advantage or draw back of routing my Onkyo DVD through the reciever?
Right now I only have the DVD player going directly into the TV via component with the audio going opticle to the reciever.
The TV is HDMI from the STB to TV.

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
The main advantage of routing anything throught the AVR is video switching at the AVR -- useful if you have more inputs of a type than the TV/monitor can handle. Main disadvantage is a potential signal degradation by going through the AVR when it isn't needed.

Typical advice is to avoid more components, connectors and cables when you can.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I use component switching via my AV receiver. I've compared it to direct connection via component to my TV and to direct connection via an HDMI cable to my TV and I can't see any difference at all between the 3 connections. So the convenience factor is a huge plus and on my system there is no detectable downside. YMMV.

Regards,

Joe

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One concern: "component switching" may not mean the circuits were designed for progressive or 1080 video.

"Component" is a 1940's video standard. It tops out at 4 Mhz so you want all your cables, connectors, switchers to have a 'bandwidth' of about 12 Mhz.

For 720/1080 video - these signals go up to 35 Mhz so you want your devices in the signal path to have a bandwidth of 90-120 Mhz.

Check your manual for the bandwidth numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks