What's new

Paradigm Owners, help with speaker setup (1 Viewer)

Maza

Auditioning
Hi, I am setting up my home theater with the following speakers and would like your input on setting it up correctly:

Front: Paradigm Monitor 11
Center: CC 370
Surr: ADP 370
Sub: PW 2200

My receiver is a NAD T-752, which has a variable crossover to accomodate different speaker setups. My question is where should I set the crossover, the available frequencies are 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 140. This applies to all speakers set to small.

The specifications on the Paradigm Monitor series state two different frequencies, which I don't understand, one says "Low Frequency Extension", which for the front is 35hz, center 57Hz, surrounds 55Hz. But then there is also a specification named "Frequency response: On Axis", which states 48hz -20khz for the front, center is 100 Hz - 20 kHz, and surround is 70 Hz - 20 kHz.

Ideally, I would think that it is better to get as much bass as the capabilities of the speakers specify, so my guess is that 80Hz crossover should work the best, altough if I apply the "Low Frequency Extension" specification maybe 60 Hz could give better results.

I understand that the ultimate decision should be based on listening, but was wandering what should work best in theory.

I appreciate your help,

Thanks
Marcos

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I think a lot of it depends on your source material. I have Paradigm Ref.20's crossed over at 40Hz for music and DBS broadcast but I change it to 80Hz for HT. It just sounds better to me to have a lower crossover for music.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I own 2Studio-100 + Studio-CC + 2Studio-40 + 2Studio-20 + Servo-15. Everything is set to small and crossover at 80HZ. Best sound in my case.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO use the Avia sub cross-over tones to check 60Hz and 80Hz settings for the flattest frequency response curve.

Your room shape and speaker placement may be creating some "humps" in the bass that adjusting the cross-over can help to eliminate.

jdg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks