What's new

Lack of Dynaudio info (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
I am helping a friend put together a 5.1 system and has narrowed it down to 2 brands, Paradigm and Dynaudio. For the Paradigms, there is plenty of info on the net and dealers to go for a demo. However no such luck for the Dynaudios. There are only 2 dealers in the state and neither has the speakers he wants to be demo. I thought I would ask here to see if he should continue to consider the Dynaudios since its proving to be difficult to find the models he wants.

He is looking at the Audience 122 mains, 122C center, and 42W for surrounds. His main concerns are:

1) the 122's have a small footprint which is important but are they stable? The listed wieght is around 31 pounds but can that be right? He doesnt have any kids or pets but when he does he doesnt want these speakers to be knocked down easily enough.

2) the surrounds will be a back wall that the couch is up against. His only option is to mount them to the wall. Since movies are his main preference he doesnt know how well that would work. I know mounting surrounds has been discussed in other threads but any thoughts on this would help. Like I said, his surrounds have to be mounted on the rear wall.

3) one feature of the 122/122c he likes is the same driver configuration for the front three speakers. He is pretty sold on the MTM design and would like his speakers to incorporate that. I tend to agree with him on this point. The MTM setup makes for a big soundstage when all speakers have it.

I would like to hear from other Dynaudio owners out there or anyone that could provide some links. Just typing Dynaudio Audience into google doesnt give me a lot of good sites. Another thing I am trying to help him with is pictures of the cabinents and with the grills on. He may listen to other speakers in this line (42 or 52) to get idea of what they sound like at the least.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, dynaudio's website is pretty good, and you can find some reviews if you google specific models.

In any case, being a fan(and owner) of both paradigm and dynaudio, I will certainly recommend dynaudio as being a superior speaker. They are pricey though, and start at prices similar to the digm reference series and go up from there. IF you're looking for not this much money, then paradigm is a great choice. Also note that the dynaudios are not super efficient, and low impedance, so they will like a lot of juice.

Also, don't let the size of the dynaudios lead you astray, they have surprising bass tightness, extension, and amount.

I'm using the 52SE.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
As for rear wall mounting of speakers, I would suggest mounting on a swivel bracket so they can be aimed 30-50 degrees toward the far perpendicular wall. That would be better than aiming straight out front (I used to have rear-wall mounted surrounds and when I turned them in towards each other, the surround effect improved quite a bit). Even aiming them away from each other toward the closest side walls would be better than straight out in front. I would also angle them down a bit. Experimenting should yield a satisfactory result. Such an arrangement is not ideal for MCH hi-res music, though, should that ever become a concern for him.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
I have Dynaudio 1.3mkII, and they're just awesome. I love them! Dynaudio makes a damn good speaker!

I'm not sure of the price on the 122's but I would get the 52SE before any other speaker in the Audience line. It has the mid-range woofer of my 1.3mkII and a tweeter from the higher line of Dynaudio speakers. He'll get a MUCH better speaker getting the 52SE over the 122.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There is also the 72SE if he want's floorstanding. Not heard it, but same drivers as the 52SE, and I'm sure it will be an incredible little speaker.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
He is only considering the 122 tower. He is very particular about what he wants in a speaker (small dimensions, floorstanding, multiple midrange drivers, etc) so the other models in the audience line wont work. I told him if he considered the 62 or 72 he may have better luck finding a pair for audition but he is the type that sticks to his guns. The draw of the 122/122c combo is the same driver configuration which is important to him. Another reason he doesnt want bookshelves is that the Dynaudio's dont physically attach to the stand, a must for him.

Thanks for all the input so far. Tomorrow he is going to listen to some other Audience models for a feel of how the line sounds and then decide if a trip to another dealer is worth it. Sometimes tyring to help someone out can be a real pain, I better get a DVD or 2 out of this.

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

Just use blu-tak to hold the speaker to the stands. It's a reusable puddy adhesive that will hold the speakers down TIGHT! I use it on my speakers and they won't budge. It won't ruin the speaker in any way either.

Link to reusable adhesive

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks