What's new

Panasonic PT-AE900U Projector - How can I get a rebate in Canada? (1 Viewer)

Jonny K

Second Unit
I'm pretty much sold on buying a Panasonic PT-AE900U Projector. My problem is that the market for projectors in Canada is just awful. I can buy it from a Canadian website that imports them from Japan (causing possible warranty headaches) but that's about it. Otherwise, I need to order from a US company.

It looks like the US price is about $1800.00 right now, which is fine. But what's really bugging me is that there is a massive $400.00 US mail in rebate along with 40 free Blockbuster rentals being offered right now by Panasonic with the purchase of the projector, but only for US customers! So not only am I forced to buy the projector from a US company and pay border taxes on it, I'm also unable to get this rebate? That's seriously uncool.

So now I'm brainstorming to see if there's a way I can get around this restriction. The only way I can think of would be to have somebody in the US buy the projector new and apply for the rebate, then sell it to me as "used" and ship it to me. We'd work out a deal that gives them some benefit (such as keeping the blockbuster rental card, or part of the cash as profit). Yet, I don't have any existing friends in the US who I could deal with. And would this cause warranty issues for me? Can a warranty be transfered over with no trouble when the unit is bought "second hand"?

Knowing about this rebate, I'd feel like a fool to pay full price now. :-(

Thanks,

Jonny K

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I know of a few local stores that sell the Panasonic ...

Stock is not an issue here in Calgary.

Regards

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Jonny....I too am looking for a pannasonic deal..
Eastporters has a deal 1,999.00 Canadaian out of Hamilton Ontario.
BUT...
That Includes... PST...GST...Warranty...and free Delivery.
better than 1800 us, plus customs, taxes, delivery,....
Where are you located??
I am in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Jonny K

Second Unit
Steve,

Yes, the Eastporters deal doesn't look to bad on the surface. But then I decided that I'd like my projector, manual, and remote to be in english. :) Right now they're putting stickers on the remote to add english:

http://www.eastporters.com/overlay.htm

Micheal,

Can you fill me in on some stores in Calgary that carry the projector? I've found no resources online that point to Calgary.

Thanks,

Jonny K

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator

Yikes...Thanks for the heads up. I didn't look deep enough and they didn't mention anything during our emails ?
I'm also leary about a eBay refurb purchase ?
1239.00 refurb. ? 69.00 shipping. ?
Can't find projector dealers here in Ottawa...:confused:

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Jonny.....Lets buy two and really get a deal :>)
I am a 30 minute drive from the US border, looking for a store there that sells them, get the rebate,, in store, bring them back...opened !
ship one to you ?
I may go early next week, tues/wed.. still looking.

Craig.c

Grip
You might check for other deals in Canada. When I bought mine last fall they had a free replacement bulb instead of the rebate in Canada.

Oredered from Quebec Aqoustics (no PST charged by them, but you supposed to self assess).

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, an update. I talked to a friend of mine who works in retail and is familiar with pricing strategies. He tells me that about 20 days after the rebate ends the normal price of the projector should drop a good deal. But I don't want to wait a month and a half!

Meanwhile, the Panasonic's main competition (the Sanyo PLV-Z4) is selling for less (1900 Canadian), plus it includes a free 400 dollar bulb and I can get it from many companies here in Canada. Why isn't Panasonic trying to compete? I'd buy the Z4 instead if it weren't for the fact that I'm going to be watching the screen at about 10 feet distance and so I can't have any screen door effect. Ahhh!

I've sent e-mails to that Quebec Acoustics, as well as Panasonic Canada (asking about dealers in Calgary and Canadian incentives). I have yet to get a response from either. Now I'm just waiting.

Jonny K

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
According to many experts, the screen door effect on the Sanyo z4 dissapears at 1.33 x the screen width.
and has a long throw just like the panny, which allows it to be placed on a shelf along the back wall. with the DVD player = short HDMI cable save$
I'm now thinking that is almost too good a deal to pass up, Quebec acoustics
1895.00 no pst. delivered.
They say it is there best bargain.
But are haveing a special on the Mits HC3000 at 2895.00 and they say it is the best picture under 5K. DLP of course.

Jonny K

Second Unit
My room is built in such a way that I need to mount the projector on a specific spot on the ceiling and I have no other placement options. This means that I need a projector that has good adjustment abilities such as zoom and lense shift. The Mitsubishi HC3000 is limited in these two adjustments.

Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ugh. I just got a response from Quebec Acoustics regarding a PT-AE900U price. The best they can do is apparently $2700 Canadian with a free bulb. (vs 1900 for the Z4 with a bulb?). That's way more than I expected. It'll probably be way cheaper for me to buy it from the US and import it. I wonder what the border charges will be...

Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, another update. Since I hadn't gotten an e-mail back from Panasonic Canada, I decided to call them directly. On the phone I asked them about Calgary dealers, and Canadian promotions too. There are no Canadian promotions, and she was able to tell me only one dealer in Calgary - Soundsaround. I called Soundsaround and they're selling the projector for 2500 Canadian with no extra bulb. That's better than 2700 from Quebec, but still much more than the US price. :-|

What's a guy to do? The Soundsaround guy claims I'll get no warranty if I buy from the US, but I don't know about that.

Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, I've decided to seriously consider a Sanyo PLV-Z4 instead. The value is way better, and if I bought the Panasonic I'd probably end up hating it just because of how ripped off I'd feel compared to US buyers. :-(

I just hope the screen door isn't an issue.

Jonny K

Jonny K

Second Unit
Ok, it's done. I've ordered a Sanyo PLV-Z4 from "Projectors Plus" which is located near Calgary (www.projectorsplus.ca). It cost me $1895 Canadian. Take that Panasonic, you just lost a sale because of your stupid Canadian pricing! :)

Jonny K

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator

Same with me , $1895 from Quebec acoustics, no PST !..I'm told screen door is a non issue beyond 1.33 x screen width...If it is I can exchange it.. and flexible mounting just like panny.:>) I like how the Sanyo closes a elec, door over the lens when you shut it off instead of getting up and putting a lens cap on.. Very nice .
Thats two sales gone...due to unrealistic Canadian pricing. Rebates for a US customer, not for us canucks ?
Also going with Draper Luma High Contrast gray, manual. $459.00 future shop.
Excellent reviews for these screens with these LCD projectors.
and STILL will be LESS than the panny.. still $$ for cables...panny WAY TOO much.
Sanyo 3 year warranty....by then..1080p :D

Dave Simpson

Second Unit
I assume you two fellas will each be getting a spare bulb via the mail-in offer?

Steve, I bought a Sanyo Z1 from Richard at Quebec Acoustic a couple of years ago (for the same price as your Z4, and no spare bulb; price:performance ratio has really improved, eh?). The lens shift mechanism was damaged in shipping but Richard had a second PJ to my door within a couple days. You're in good hands. Enjoy your new toys, guys! Cheers.

DS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks