What's new

Panasonic dp-ub820 - suggested HDD for video file playback via rear USB port (1 Viewer)

Bleach

Agent
Real Name
Michael M
can anyone please suggest a hard drive that works well with high bitrate big size video files in mkv format with this player?? i understand to use the rear port and that according to the capacity of the hard drive is limited to 4tb. that's what i read on panasonic's manual or site. i read somewhere on another forum that the external drive (which is the hdd type that is required) that it needs a external power source. im not sure exactly what that means. thanks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The read rate for even a 4K movie isn't that high, as drives go. So that's just not an issue. First, you do NOT have to use a platter style hard disc drive (HDD). I have this player and use both a solid state drive (SSD) and an HDD. I don't know what the capacity limit is, though. It's likely that it can't be larger than 4TB, but it could be even less. Mine is 2TB. If you use an HDD, then yes, it has to have an external power supply. However, if you use an SSD, no external power supply should be required.

Bleach

Agent
Real Name
Michael M
thank you for the reply. can you tell me where i can get a external power supply? im still confused about that. i tried searching around but no success. appreciate the info youve given me so far :)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you aren't using a preexisting regular/internal HDD, but buying a new one, just buy an external drive instead -- external HDD will generally come w/ its own power source.

Also, if you want to use larger capacity drive than 4TB, just use a networked drive via your router instead, if you have a reasonably good router w/ its own USB port(s) to support that. That might be preferable over direct connection to the player anyway.

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
thank you for the reply. can you tell me where i can get a external power supply? im still confused about that. i tried searching around but no success. appreciate the info youve given me so far :)
As Man said, they usually come with a power supply.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just avoid the ones that are labeled "portable" HDD external hard drives. Those generally do not come with external power supplies, as they are designed to get their power from the USB port. Here is an example of such a portable drive to avoid.

Bleach

Agent
Real Name
Michael M
thank you everyone for the tips so far. greatly appreciated! i have a router that has usb ports. the speed plan on the router sucks however and ive been meaning to upgrade. however the router itself is not old. its from Verizon fios. my computer is pretty old reaching not too far from a decade i think. its one of those gaming pc's from ibuypower. i cant play 4k on it properly and i dont have dolby vision capability on it even though most of the mkvs i wanna use do. can i still do that method of hooking up a usb connection directly into the router into the rear usb port of the panny?

Scott thanks for the tip i will be sure to avoid those!

Bleach

Agent
Real Name
Michael M
IF you aren't using a preexisting regular/internal HDD, but buying a new one, just buy an external drive instead -- external HDD will generally come w/ its own power source.

Also, if you want to use larger capacity drive than 4TB, just use a networked drive via your router instead, if you have a reasonably good router w/ its own USB port(s) to support that. That might be preferable over direct connection to the player anyway.

_Man_
forgot to ask a networked drive what is that? a nas drive?

Bleach

Agent
Real Name
Michael M
also can you guys or any other owners share your experience with using this player with video playback on usb? in my research some people are saying its not reliable and other hatred toward it. but it seems for most part people are happier with disc playback

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
also can you guys or any other owners share your experience with using this player with video playback on usb? in my research some people are saying its not reliable and other hatred toward it. but it seems for most part people are happier with disc playback
Sorry, cannot help there. I have never used the USB port on my 820 - - only used it for discs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
forgot to ask a networked drive what is that? a nas drive?

That's just a drive accessible via/over your network. :D

On your BD player, you'll find it under Home Network -> Network Drive or something like that IIRC.

I haven't bothered w/ USB, but if it works basically same as network drive access, which is likely, it could be a bit annoying/pain for a large library of content... because you might have to scroll through all of them... which can be (notoriously) painfully slow via Panasonic's player UI.

Why not just try it out for yourself to see, if you have some sorta USB drive (whether flash or HDD) to test it out?

_Man_

Old Dog

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Martyn
I have both a Panasonic player and tv. I have never tried connecting a usb device to the player, but I have one connected to the tv permanently. Looking at the USB details, both tv and player connections are rated the same: 5v 900ma.
I use a 2TB Seagate Expansion+ Portable Drive with the tv and it works fine from the power provided through the USB port (no external power supply required).
Not sure what function the drive has when connected to the player - record and / or playback?
A drive connected to the tv allows recording of all programs either immediate or via a programmer (up to one week or so in advance). It also includes a fairly basic library system - I use it to create groups of the same type of recorded material (comedy, sci-fi, sport, science etc). All material stored is done so chronologically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks