What's new

Panasonic DP-UB820-K - single-frame advance won't work properly on 4K discs? (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I recently was given the Panasonic UB820 4K Blu-Ray player as a gift. After a few weeks, I noticed that a feature I rarely use, single frame advance, doesn't work properly on 4K content. Here is what I found:

-On 4K Blu-Ray discs, my UB820 will play forward in slow motion just fine, but it will only manually frame-advance forward up to five frames; after that, the manual single-frame advance becomes unresponsive. Reverse single-frame advance and reverse slow motion don't work at all.
-Standard Blu-Ray discs - single-frame advance works normally moving forward, as many frames as I want to advance, but it doesn't work in reverse
-DVD - manual single-frame advance works perfectly both forward and backwards

Anyone else have this problem with their unit? I did run across a user on I think Reddit whose unit did the same thing.

I contacted Panasonic, and they want me to ship it in to be "repaired" (and I have to pay for shipping), even though the unit was purchased new about two months before I contacted them about this.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have the UB420 (the only difference being the 820 supports Dolby Vision and the 420 does not). I haven’t tried this on my unit but I will when I get some free time. Was the player outputting DV or HDR10 when you were trying to frame advance?

I have to ask, if it’s a feature you rarely use, are you really that worried about it?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have the UB420 (the only difference being the 820 supports Dolby Vision and the 420 does not). I haven’t tried this on my unit but I will when I get some free time. Was the player outputting DV or HDR10 when you were trying to frame advance?

I have to ask, if it’s a feature you rarely use, are you really that worried about it?

Both. Dolby Vision or HDR10, it makes no difference; the feature doesn't work properly on any 4K disc.

No, I'm not that worried about it. I don't think I'm going to get it fixed. I'm just more annoyed at being told that my basically brand-new player needs to be "repaired."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks