What's new

Panasonic 47WX49 Service Manual (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Apologies if this has been said before. Is it true that this set doesn't have different memory settings for different inputs?
Doh! ... I just saw the red push thread and the answer:
>>Unfortunately, the user color and tint controls are not perfect, but since this set only has one global set of picture memories, there's not a darn thing you can do about it!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brett W

Agent
Well I step away for a couple of days and the HTF brings Utopia to the Panasonic arena - BIG thanks Michael and JohnnyG!!!
My friend and I spent hours the other night (well my mate mostly, very very determined he was
wink.gif
) playing with all settings trying to get the set looking perfect. Some of the tests in Avia looked great nay perfect, yet the colours would appear either washed out/pale once moving back to TV.
I will concentrate on these three settings alone tonight, and see if I can make it perfect ala JohnnyG :)
JohnnyG - re: the convergence, I am trying to read through all the convergence sections in the manual. There appears to be a lot of things going on within this area of the TV, and I am not comfortable just yet. Any pointers?
As far as the service menu is concerned, I was forced to sell one of my computers - the one I had the scanner installed on - and the guy took it off me a few days early, so that has put me back. This machine is XP (RC1 Build 2505)and I am having troubles getting the HP drivers installed (ScanJet 5s) and working correctly
frown.gif
But I am trying to get this worked out ASAP.
Will be back soon, Brett

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Brett, it's like I told Jeff above - nothing is final until you hit the 7 button and save your changes, so go ahead and play around with the convergence all you want. To abort, just hit the Power button on the remote.

Brett W

Agent
*wow* I thought 64point convergence on my mate's Tosh was amazing. But having just read, and got into the service mode convergence menus, I have to say other than intimidating I think the possibility of making a great picture even better is such a reality now.
I see myself spending many hours on these grids and things, and as I have started tonight I guess tomorrow will be another hard morning to wake up
frown.gif
But the rewards will make it worthwhile - mind you I do have to pay a speeding ticket tomorrow AM so I guess that's another hour in bed
wink.gif

As far as the Red Push settings - JohnnyG & Michael, if and when I find myself up in Canada I am buying you guys dinner and several rounds of drinks, well I shall buy the first then we can work around the table. But I played with those values Johnny, and I ht epicture is nigh on perfect. I can have nice vivid colours on DBS and OTA, without the glaring reds - It's stunning, THANKS.
Well back to the convergence stuff -=- this could drive a man to drink, having stared at a computer screen all day, this is the last my poor eyes need, but I guess all those carrots my mum made me eat when I was a kid are paying dividends now :)
- Brett "squinting" Panasonic owner
wink.gif

[Edited last by Brett W on July 11, 2001 at 09:36 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Brett, if and when I'm in Ohio, I'm taking YOU out to dinner! And then we can cruise up to Canada and take Michael and Johnny out! :)
A bit of advice when doing convergence. Someone posted in another forum that using the red/green/blue filters from AVIA helps isolate the color you're trying to align. I can't really describe it in words, but I think once you use them (hold them against the screen) you'll be able to figure out what they meant. It made convergence more accurate since you could see the individual color line instead of trying to see separation between the RGB hues outside of a mostly-white line.
Good luck!
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The other thing about convergance is that people have used plastic grids to help in lining everything up. I even recall that Toshiba has premade grids that can be bought for many $$$.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Brett and Carlo, your offers are most generous! There's only one tiny little problem - Michael and I are about 3,000 miles apart!
Carlo, I don't see the need of putting color filters on the screen to see the different lines? If you push the '1' button on the remote, it'll cycle trough all the different combinations. Basically, what you want to do is is push the 1 button until you see yellow lines - this is green and red with the blue gun off. Now converge the red lines to the green so that you see only yellow (or as little red as possible). When you've done that (oh...about 2 hours later!), save your changes with the 7 button, then press the 1 button until you see magenta lines - this is red and blue with the green gun off. Now converge blue to red. Save your changes, and you're done. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Heh!
One thing I forgot to mention, the 'R-Tune' button changes the color that you're currently adjusting. When it just says 'Point' that moves all the colours at the same time (another thing I wish the Toshiba's had!).
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics
[Edited last by JohnnyG on July 12, 2001 at 11:23 AM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Whoops! Just chalk it up to another typical American not knowing Geography from Geology! :)
re: the filters for convergence, I think it may have been for a set that doesn't do what you're describing on the Panasonic convergence. Maybe it was for 1 pt. or 9 pt. convergence where you had all the guns going and had to try to make a white line without other colors on the fringe. The method you describe definitely sounds straightforward (if not easy).
wink.gif

Well, I'm about to send an email to my dealer to ask for an ETA...
------------------
I know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve - Bilbo Baggins

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I was the lost soul trying to help Brett durring my short 6+ hour visit (thanks for the praise Brett). It made me very sad that I couldn't nail it down until I read the rest of this post (as I THOUGHT before Brett's house that I was starting to get pretty good at this stuff after the few other sets I've tweaked to near perfection). I do feel very good however that I was on the right track, so obviously my journey this last year has been very fruitfull. Now if I can just find the time to get back to a couple of my other projects?? :)
SERIOUSLY, THANKS TO EVERYONE for your tips on this thread. They will all come in handy for sure!!!!!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great news (for me)!
My dealer said Panasonic shipped 3 sets to them from the east coast on the 11th, and he hopes to have my set in-store next week!
I will probably set delivery for either Friday or Saturday next week and take the day off of work (if it's Friday) to calibrate and tweak it.
Gotta make that call to Panny tonight for the service manual...
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,
On my lunch break, I stopped by my local dealer and saw this set....I actually posted in the HDTV area on whether or not anyone had seen it or bought it yet :)
Is this the "real deal" right now? I've been looking for a couple of months for an HD set, and the price had me sold today....$2k! for an HD TV, gotta love it!
From the posts in this thread, it looks like you guys have discovered the hacks...but it all looks a bit confusing :)
I've always been an audio guy and this video talk is a bit over my head. I've bookmarked the page from earlier in the post, and will refer to that often if I make the purchase.
Thumbs up to buy now? Or wait til all the new lines come out this fall?
Jeremy

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
One other question
Does this unit lock into "full" mode or is there aspect control on the component inputs...to better the look of those non-anamorphic discs we all have laying around?
Thanks guys
Jeremy

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Jeremy, this is the new line from Panasonic. Their products are announced in the spring are are released througout the summer and into the fall. Toshiba's are announced in the summer and are generally available in the fall.
The biggest competetion for this Panasonic will come from the Toshiba 50H81. The Toshiba is about $500 more, but has a bigger screen size, and a small handful of features over the Panasonic. My recommendation is to wait to see the Toshiba (should ship next week) and compare the two.
Yes, the Panasonic locks into full mode with progressive inputs. The best match for this is Panasonic's DVD-RP91 which converts non-anamorphic DVD's into anamorphic-compatible ones (does a pretty good job, too).
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Brett W

Agent
Hi all, well I could have posted another thread about this TV but I think we have enough to keep us busy now. I am about to go away for the weekend, but thought I'd try something out with the TV.
I put a UK PS1 game in my US PS2 (chipped for this sort of thing) and the TV displayed it without a hitch, well a small amount of the bottom picture was not visible. But what this should mean is PAL DVDs should not be a problem on this set, so long as the DVD player is capable of playing them.
Well I am off to start a marathon drive now - the US is so big, I never knew MI was so tall, I have to drive 8 hours north. *sheesh* The things I do for the lady in my life. LOL, if I was back home I could have driven diagonally SE and gone through 3 or 4 countries! :)
Take care all, Brett
[Edited last by Brett W on July 13, 2001 at 06:46 PM]
[Edited last by Brett W on July 13, 2001 at 06:47 PM]

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks Johnny,
Problem is, I own the Denon 2800...no zoom function
frown.gif

I love this DVD player though, so I will continue to seek one of the new RPs that doesn't lock into full.
I will continue to watch the board for news on the Toshibas and Mitsubishis that are due out soon.
Jeremy

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm not mistaken you can still watch non anamorphic DVD's from your Denon. You just need to set the denon to non-progressive mode while watching them. I don't think this is to big of a penalty since almost everything now is anamorphic.
Ryan
------------------

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Anyone know the approx weight of this set. I noticed that the Toshiba 50H81 is listed at 240 lbs which sounds real heavy. Especially as the 40H80 was 134lbs.

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
Shipping weight according to ABT electronics is 204 pounds. Assuming packing is 24 pounds that would make the set 180 pounds.
Ryan
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
I went to my local B&M yesterday to show my wife the new Panny. As I mentioned earlier, the same store sells the Pioneer Elite line.
The Panny must not be calibrated, because it looks much less appealing than the Elites, as well as a couple of 4:3 Pannys they had in the same room. The picture had a very grey tint to it. Much less bright than the others mentioned. I'm very much a newbie in the world of HDTV, but I thought my wife could give me her opinion.
There was a 55" (I believe) and a 61" Elite to the right of the new Panny. The DVD player was hooked up to all three and my wife chose the BIG Elite, every time :)
I explained that we could get 3, almost 4 of the Pannys for the price of the Pioneer...but she insisted if we spend that kind of money, we should get what we BOTH like :) :) :)
Yesterday was a beautiful day...I'm no longer fearful of spending 5 of 6k on a set. We'll see what this fall holds and whether or not you guys can get a "sweet" picture from the Panny.
Jeremy

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, as with most equipment you do get what you pay for--for the most part. Comparing the new PT47, which MSRP's at $2000 but can be had for around $1600-$1700, to the Pioneer Elites which debuted at over $4000 is a little unfair. Of course, JohnnyG has already stated that Panny's out-of-the-box performance is pretty darned poor, and I doubt that the store you went to went through the trouble of calibrating the set.
The Pioneers are better TVs. But a tweaked picture on the Panny makes it a great buy for those of us who can't spring for the Elites. If you have your wife's support, then by all means get the Elite. The few that I've seen in people's homes (calibrated) looked stellar!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks