What's new
World Wide Stereo

Painting/Covering Up Silver-Colored TV's (1 Viewer)

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 32" Sharp that is silver in color. Wondering if anyone had any good ideas on how I should go about the change this color... in a non-destructive way.

I was thinking about a "cut-out" from poster-board... then applying it with a few round "velcro" pieces to hold it in place.

Thanks in advance...

Rus

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
When I made black matts for my (black) Panasonic, I realized that if I ever bought a silver TV, I would have to make a matt to cover the entire front, because if I only used black matts on the top and bottom it would look really strange on a silver set. So that is what I would do if I were you: Make a velcro black matt to cover the entire front of the TV. The sides will still be silver, but as far as viewing the TV head on goes, you'll be much better off...

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply.

Because the TV fits almost perfectly in my armoire (less than 3/8" clearance on both sides), I don't think it will be too bad if I only create a matte for the front.

Any particular materials recommended?

I'm assuming a non-reflective surface.....

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I used a semi-rigid black posterboard I bought at a craft store, but it keeps peeling on the edges so I should probably get something better. Some people just get some sort of poster board then cover it in black velvet, so there are zero reflections.

do a search for black mattes - not sure on spelling - and you should get lots of suggestions.

rick bie

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally did it. I have a Samsung HCR4755W rear projection and I couldn't stand the silver anymore. I took the whole front of the TV off, cleaned the guns in the upper section and then removed the speakers from the lower section and primed and painted it flat black with a matt clear over it. Put it back on and it looks great, the only thing I did was mask off the side section with the buttons so the labels are still there. The only silver is the thin(1/8") strip around the circumference of the screen, which is fine.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks