What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Packaging Misprints (1 Viewer)

david kaplan

Auditioning
I just purchased the the Polygram special edition of "Dead Man Walking." The packaging says that the version is anamorphic, but when I played the DVD, its was definitely non-anamorphic. There was no choice in the menu to choose a different widescreen version. I think the packaging is incorrect.

This is not the first time a misprint on DVD packaging has caught me. I've also purchased 20th Century Fox's release of "The Abyss" where the packaging claimed 5.1 channel sound but when the movie started, all I got was 2.1 channel.

I've now learned that misprints are fairly well known in the DVD community. Does anybody know of a list that has been compiled of DVD packaging misprints so that I can avoid this problem in the future?

If not, should we start one here?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I don't know of a list but here're my encounters:

Antz (DTS) - new packaging says that it has both DTS, DD5.1, and all the extras of the DD only version. It also says that it's a dual layered disc. Wrong. The disc is exactly the same as the old DTS disc. It even says single layered on the disc art.

Good Will Hunting - I've heard the repackaging of the US version says that it's anamorphic but is not.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
My Criterion dvd of Seven Samurai had a misprinted cover. I emailed them about it and just received a correct one in the mail today! The photographs on the misprint were pixilated beyond recognition.

ShaunS

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ really? Mine's the same too...I thought that's the way it's supposed to be. :frowning:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Blade 2's packaing state the AR is 2.35:1 when it's actually 1.85. Earth Girls are Easy is the other way around.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The Abyss also says Enhanced For Widescreen TVs but it isn't (the menus are though).
Most discs from Diamond Entertainment say they're digitally remastered and restored, but clearly aren't. ;)

BooneG

Stunt Coordinator
Johnathan,

Huh? 2.35:1 movies can be in 16:9.

Also, the packaging for Black Mask 2 says the movie is in 1.85:1, but the disc is 2.35:1. Also a reviewer over at DVDtalk says in his review that the movie is in 1.85.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
It's not a technical detail but the "Raising Arizona" insert has the pictures of Joel and Ethan Coen reversed next to their bios.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Disney's Jungle 2 Jungle states that it is fullscreen, when it is really widescreen. Not sure about anamorphic or not.

Chris

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
If a movie has an AR of 178, it will say 1.78 on the packaging. If it says 16:9 enhanced (or something along those lines), it means the picture is anamorphic. The AR could be pretty much anything over 1.66.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Johnathan's post, questioned by BooneG, specifically referred to the aspect ratio of the film. It said nothing about anamorphic enhancement.

If it says 16:9 enhanced (or something along those lines)
Right, if it says "enhanced." Otherwise it's just the standard aspect ratio of widescreen TV's. I've seen several discs that list "16:9 Widescreen" that aren't anamorphic. They simply fill the standard WS TV screen ratio.

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
I've also purchased 20th Century Fox's release of "The Abyss" where the packaging claimed 5.1 channel sound but when the movie started, all I got was 2.1 channel.
Surely The Abyss is 4.1, three discrete front channels and one discrete rear fed to both surrounds? To say it is 2.1 implies that it is solely stereo matrixed, which it is not.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Surely The Abyss is 4.1, three discrete front channels and one discrete rear fed to both surrounds? To say it is 2.1 implies that it is solely stereo matrixed, which it is not.
David probably acquired a copy of the Canadian version of The Abyss, which removes the English 5.1 track in order to fit a French track.

DJ

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Damin. What a gyp! So was it a 5.1 French and 2.0 English Surround? I don't know much about Canada; is the French-speaking community in the majority?

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and Metro BOTH say they are 16x9 and they are not

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My Halloween H20 back cover boasts an audio commentary by Jamie Lee Curtis and director Steve Miner when in fact there is no such thing.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
A&E's Pride & Prejudice SE DVD set says 2.35:1 on the package, but it's really 1.78:1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks