What's new
World Wide Stereo

outlets in new home--does it make a diff. for HT sound? (1 Viewer)

Brandon WB

Grip
My new home in Wisconsin is just about 6 months old. My question to anyone is that I currently run a b&k 200.3 amp, 35"tv, directv satellite reciever, dvd player, and a Yamaha reciever all off of one outlet through a monster cable surge protector. Is this not a good idea, and would it benefit me to connect maybe the B&K amp to a seperate outlet? Just looking for inexpensive & minor modifications to improve sound.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Brandon

728x90

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
As long as you aren't exceeding the current rating of that circuit (normally 15A for residential standard outlets), you should be fine. In fact, if you use a powered subwoofer, one may argue that it would be better to keep things on the same circuit or even outlet, for less possibility of ground loop hum issues.

I run all my gear off the same outlet, which currently is my receiver (500w), a CD changer, two VCRs, DVD player, two amplifiers (about 600w total), and a 31" TV.

Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Oh, I also should mention that you may have other items on that circuit and not know about them, which will depend on how that particular room or section of your house was wired. It's common to have an entire room on one circuit, so if you have a couple 300w halogen torchiere's at full blast when running your stereo at THX reference levels, there could be issues - or not. Speaker efficiency comes into play as well. The best way is just to try it out. Your circuit breaker will tell you if you're asking too much, and no harm done.

Aaron Gilbert

DannyL

Stunt Coordinator
my advice would be to plug your amp directly into the wall not through a power conditioner. i have found that some power conditioners limit the current to amps. give it a try. you may find your soundstage widening with the extra power.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks