What's new

Our Go Big or Go Home Home Theater (1 Viewer)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
ellisr63 said:
No storms... I was wiggling the cable because I couldn't hear the 2nd sub working and it shut down. I have thought maybe it was a cable issue but, I am using the same cable and wiggling it doesn't turn the amp off like the other one did.
Wiggling the cable from which end the AVR or the sub. Please expand.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
andySu said:
Wiggling the cable from which end the AVR or the sub. Please expand.
I wiggled it from both ends trying to see if I had a loose connection. I called Yamaha, and they are sending me the local Repair Shop info.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
ellisr63 said:
I wiggled it from both ends trying to see if I had a loose connection. I called Yamaha, and they are sending me the local Repair Shop info.
Might be stray cat I mean stray voltage in the line and sent some voltage the AVR? Or maybe a dry joint on the AVR PCB printed circuit broad where a tiny component has come lose and the voltage isn't make circuit inside.

Well good luck see what The Boys From Yamaha can do with it?

My other AVR Kenwood sits in the bedroom with a lot of dry THX certified joints. So much for their THX consumer grade quality control. the amount of times in been inside to solder dry joints. Its got another where its shut down and its case of locating it and it will turn back ON.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I called Yamaha, and got the info on where to take the amp for repair... I have to say it was one of the most pleasant Warranty calls i have ever had... I actually talked to some one who had a brain, and wasn't reading from a script. I remember years ago talking with Epson Warranty about a dust blob for about 30 minutes. They had me turn the projector on and off several times to verify that the blob was only there when the projector was on... They even went so far as to have me unplug it. I finally got fed up with the person, and just answered the questions without doing any of what he was asking me to do and when he was done with his script he ordered another projector be sent to me.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Brian Dobbs said:
Hey I'm a little confused. What you made looks cool but I don't think I quite understand what its for. Can you explain?
I made the rack so I can mount the MiniDSPs, and T chip amps on the wall, so as to not take up rack space. I am going to make another one for my HDHomerun tuners, and i3NUCs.

I will be running Bi-amped for my front 3 channels with the T chip amps for the horns, and my Yamaha P2500s amps for the bass bins.

Does this make more sense now?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
ellisr63 said:
I made the rack so I can mount the MiniDSPs, and T chip amps on the wall, so as to not take up rack space. I am going to make another one for my HDHomerun tuners, and i3NUCs.

I will be running Bi-amped for my front 3 channels with the T chip amps for the horns, and my Yamaha P2500s amps for the bass bins.

Does this make more sense now?
I've never heard these lil' amps, though they would probably be good with highly efficient speakers. How do you like them? You save some big bucks with these.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Dr Griffin said:
I've never heard these lil' amps, though they would probably be good with highly efficient speakers. How do you like them? You save some big bucks with these.
I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet... I have these. I have heard that they are very close to the sound of a good tube amp... Some even say they sound better.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Todays project will be covering the 2 doors in the hallway with GOM. I will also be installing the weatherstripping, and hopefully get my "Man Cave" sign installed... I am waiting for the power cords to arrive for lighting the sign, and hallway as it is pitch black in the hallway. Once I have that done I have a few panels left to make for the hallway, and then make the ceiling fabric panels.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
You should take photos through the entire process, that is what I would do. It is kind of cool to see how a project progresses.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Dave Moritz said:
You should take photos through the entire process, that is what I would do. It is kind of cool to see how a project progresses.
Yeah, I know... It is just real hard to get pics a cell phone in a flat black room. Our hall way is pitch black too.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
Dave Moritz said:
Do you have a friend with a DSLR camera?
I am going to have a friend take some pictures of the room when it is completed (they will be coming from out of town)... Hopefully it will be done in the next month.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
st got my Roxul in... They shorted me by one bundle, and it was damaged. I negotiated the price down to $44 a bundle due to the damage for all 7 bundles. They are missing one bundle and hopefully i will have the missing bundle by the beginning of December.

This will be for the single layer behind the screen, and also for the double layer behind the second row seating.

20141030_100959_zps4af1c583.jpg

I also received my Peerless rack... So over the next few days I will be dis assembling the old rack, and installing the new rack, making a 2x4 frame for the Roxul behind the AT screen, and also looking for some 1x6s to make the rear frames (for the Roxul), and of course wrap the front pwall in Black Commando cloth, and the rear panels in Black, and, or blue GOM.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I got the Yamaha back... Apparently there was a defect in the output transformers (I think that is what they called it), and they shorted out. Normally the short would have been protected from causing more damage,b b ut in my case it wasn't and they had to replace a board. They said they have only had 2 other P7000s amps ever come in, and they had the same problem as mine (just that the protection did protect it). Other than that they have seen some P5000s amps but no other Yamaha Pro amps. They said the Yamaha Pro amps last forever. I worked on getting my new rack up and getting the MiniDSPs going all day yesterday. When I got everything up and running I found that I have noise coming out of my P2500s amps when I turn them on (they had been used for my sub amps and worked flawlessly). I think it is the rca to XLR cables, as i disconnected the the RCA end from the MiniDSP, and it went silent.. I am going to head over to Guitar Center toady, and get some Vampire Wire RCA to XLR cables, and try them out. I think I also might have a bad RCA cable going out of the MiniDSP to my Topping T chip amp (or I have a bad connector on the MiniDSP), as I am getting no sound to my left horn. I tried switching the input cables to the Mini DSP and the sound moved appropriately.

NBPk402

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I ended up completely re wiring the MiniDSPs, and amps and got it down to a hum. I found out that the hum was coming from my iNUCs so I relocated them (didn't help), and ended up using cheater plugs.
I am very pleased with the way the MiniDSPs worked out as crossovers for my setup. Hopefully in the next few weeks a friend of mine will get some time to help me dial them in with REW. For now i did something that came out nicely but I am sure it is not the correct way to get an active crossover up and running.

This is what I did...
In the past with the La Scala crossovers as a temporary crossover Audyssey would give me a 150-250hz crossover. :-( I saw on line where someone made a comment that it might be doing that because the Horns were so much more efficient than the 1/4 pie bass bins, so I decided to do a little experiment.

First I lowered the gain going to the horns and then ran Audyssey... It moved my crossover closer to the 80hz that I felt it should be at so I continued to play with the levels until I was able to get a 80hz crossover. Once i had it to that point I maxed out my gain going to the 1/4 pies, and then slowly raised the gain on the horns, re ran Audyssey, and repeated until I got to the 80 hz goal. Then I saved it and watched some music videos, and a movie. I must say it def sounded better all around. I am sure that once we run REW it will show a lot of work still needs to be done to get it dialed in, but I believe we are closer than we were with the La Scala crossovers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks