What's new
World Wide Stereo

Ota Hdtv (1 Viewer)

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
What is the range of distances from towers I could receive HDTV over the air assuming minimal interference from obstructions? I just purchased an RCA 1250 antenna (the only brand they had) from Circuit City, which may not be too good for receiving HDTV, and am disappointed. I went to antennaweb.org and the towers are about 10-20 miles from my house. It doesn't help when some are east of me and others are south. I don't think my wife would like an antenna mounted on our roof making it feel like 1950. What is a great indoor antenna to have for the distances I stated above without having to retune every time I change the channel? Thanks, Mark

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

I have a Radio Shack double bowtie antenna, and I got a significant performance increase by just pointing it out the window (I have metal siding) and replacing the 300 ohm twinlead with 75 ohm coax with a transformer I soldered directly to the antenna. I went from 2-4 bars signal strength on my receiver's display with lots of dropouts to 4-5 bars (5 is max) and almost no dropouts on all channels. I'm about the same distance away from the transmitters as you are. In your case, you'd have to find a window that faces southeast. The double bowtie is somewhat directional, but it doesn't seem so bad that you'd have to move it from south to east if you can find a middle ground. I think the double bowtie sells for around $17 at Radio Shack.

Chad

Mark Romero

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Romero
Thanks Chad. I spent all these years in RF telecommunications for nothing. Unfortunately my only window is north. I dropped $70 on this antenna and may take it back and try something else.

Clayton_T

Grip
Purchase a nice Channel Master amplifier. Mine was about $35. I receive 5 HD channels with it and a $5 UHF loop sitting on top of the entertainment center (we just moved, so I haven't mounted my good Channel Master boom antenna in the attic yet). There is a great article on antenna's, but I can't post the link until I have 15 posts.

I am 25-30 miles from the towers in Tennessee hill country.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I use an older cheapie powered antenna from RS, works decent enough, although I just got Comcast HD, so I don't use it that much any more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale