What's new

Orphan Black Season 3 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Why do I get the feeling that you can actually find videos of how to remove a brain or dismember a body on You Tube?

I've said it before but I'll say it again because it deserves repeating but how incredible is Maslany? She's so good that her characters might as well be played by different actors because I never once think that it's the same person playing all her roles.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Episode 4: "Crises there will continue to be. In meeting them, whether foreign or domestic, great or small, there is a recurring temptation to feel that some spectacular and costly action could become the miraculous solution to all current difficulties. A huge increase in the newer elements of our defenses; development of unrealistic programs to cure every ill in agriculture; a dramatic expansion in basic and applied research – these and many other possibilities, each possibly promising in itself, may be suggested as the only way to the road we wish to travel."

BBC America Synopsis:
Newer Elements of Our Defense
Season 3 | Episode 4 | Original Airdate: May 9th, 2015 | 9:00PM

Mark is taken down in a Prolethean shoot-out and Sarah must step in to help. But as Sarah gathers intel that puts her on the trail of the original Castor DNA, a familiar foe is not far behind. While Helena continues to toil in a faraway military compound, it is ultimately Sarah’s fate that will hang in the balance as she tries to save her sister. Meanwhile, Gracie is cast out from the Prolethean fold, and Alison and Donnie come face-to-face with unhappy drug lord, Jason Kellerman. Justin Chatwin guest stars.

Lou Sytsma said:
Bye, bye Orphan - we'll always have that wonderful first season.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, and I definitely support your decision to drop a show you're no longer enjoying instead of watching every week only to be frustrated by it, but I can honestly say I didn't notice any drop in quality from the first season to the second season. I'm enjoying the new episodes as much as I've ever enjoyed the series.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This isn't a one-hit wonder like Heroes, nor have I felt the seasonal decline like Veronica Mars. I'm still very engaged. (In fact, I liked S2 more than S1.)

I do hope Allison and Donny are woven into the main story. Although I like their weird side story, Cloning Bad ;)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I binged watched on Amazon Prime and I definitely didn't notice any declining interest. I know if a show is going bad when I grab my laptop and surf while watching the show. Hasn't happened with this one.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Full press release:
BBC AMERICA Renews Critically-Acclaimed Fan Favorite “Orphan Black” For Season Four

New York, NY – May 7, 2014 – BBC AMERICA announced today the renewal of its award-winning original series “Orphan Black” for a fourth season. The drama starring Tatiana Maslany has been re-commissioned for a 10 episode order from Temple Street Productions and is slated to air in 2016. Hailed as “utterly original and spellbinding” by The Daily Beast and “a multi-layer cake of performance” by The Los Angeles Times, season three is currently airing and will finale on Saturday, June 20 at 9PM ET.

Sarah Barnett, BBC AMERICA President and General Manager, stated, “’Orphan Black’ is an entirely fresh and original show that stands out even in today’s crowded TV landscape. Tatiana Maslany’s buzzy, virtuoso performance headlines a brilliant cast and we are delighted to let our vocal and passionate fan base know that this wildly entertaining ride will continue next year.”

Co-creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson said: “We’re thrilled to be moving forward with season four of the Orphan Black saga. Huge thanks to our partners Temple Street Productions, and to BBC AMERICA and Space. We’re extremely excited about where our story lines are going, and look forward to riding the rollercoaster with our amazing fans #CloneClub.”

The series has received considerable critical and award attention. It earned a Peabody Award in 2014 and lead actress Tatiana Maslany has received two Critics’ Choice Awards for Best Actress, a TCA Award for Individual Achievement, a Young Hollywood Award, a Gracie Award, two Canadian Screen Awards and Golden Globe®, SAG and People’s Choice nominations.

The cast includes Tatiana Maslany, Ari Millen, Jordan Gavaris, Dylan Bruce, Maria Doyle Kennedy, Skyler Wexler, Kevin Hanchard, Evelyne Brochu, Kristian Bruun, Ksenia Solo, Michiel Huisman, Josh Vokey, Zoé De Grand Maison, Justin Chatwin and Kyra Harper.

“The growth of ‘Orphan Black’ and the amazing response from audiences over the past three seasons has exceeded our expectations and we’re delighted to be able to continue the journey in season four,” commented David Fortier and Ivan Schneeberg, executive producers of “Orphan Black and Co-Presidents of Temple Street Productions. “We are incredibly proud of our talented cast and crew and grateful for the support from our broadcast partners at BBC AMERICA and Space.”

“Orphan Black” is produced by Temple Street Productions in association with BBC AMERICA and Space. Executive producers are Ivan Schneeberg and David Fortier of Temple Street Productions, Graeme Manson and John Fawcett. “Orphan Black” is distributed by BBC Worldwide.

“Orphan Black” Season Three Audience and Social Media Highlights:
  • The AMC Networks roadblock of the “Orphan Black” Season 3 premiere garnered the largest ever audience for the show, with 1.9 million viewers.
    BBC AMERICA accounted for 60% of the audience with 1.1 million viewers on premiere night.
  • Source: Nielsen, Live+3, 4/18/15, Orphan Black Ep 301 (BBCA, AMC, IFC, SUND, WEtv), P2+ gross impressions.
    Includes premiere night encore on BBCA.

• With a Median Income of $77K, “Orphan Black” ranks as the 2nd most affluent drama on ad-supported television in the 2014/15 season, behind only AMC’s “Mad Men.”
    Together, AMC and BBC AMERICA account for the Top 4 most affluent dramas on ad-supported TV this season: “Mad Men,” “Orphan Black,” “Better Call Saul,” and “Doctor Who.”
  • Source: Nielsen, Live+SD, 2014/15 STD (9/22/14-5/3/15), Broadcast & Ad-Supported Cable: Primetime Original Dramas (excludes repeats), Median Income (P2+).

[*]“Orphan Black” continues to show tremendous social media engagement, ranking as the #1 basic cable drama on Twitter and Tumblr in its premiere week, and continuing to rank among the Top 10 cable dramas on both platforms each week thereafter.
  • Twitter Source: Nielsen SocialGuide, week of 4/13/15, basic cable program rank based on unique authors.
  • Tumblr Source: ListenFirst Media, week of 4/13/15, basic cable program rank based on engagement (notes & tags).

About BBC AMERICA

BBC AMERICA delivers U.S. audiences high-quality, innovative and intelligent programming. Established in 1998, it has been the launch pad for talent embraced by American mainstream pop culture, including Ricky Gervais, Gordon Ramsay, Graham Norton, and successful programming formats including ground-breaking non-scripted television like Top Gear and top-rated science-fiction like Doctor Who. A joint venture between BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the BBC, and AMC Networks, BBC AMERICA has attracted both critical acclaim and major awards including four Emmy® Awards, five Golden Globes® and 12 Peabody Awards. The channel attracts one of cable’s most affluent and educated audiences and is available on cable and satellite TV in nearly 80 million homes. It broadcasts in both standard and high-definition, with content available On Demand across all major digital platforms. Online, www.BBCAmerica.com is the place to go to dig deeper into pop culture with a British twist. Find out more by visiting www.Press.BBCAmerica.com/ or follow us on www.twitter.com/BBCAMERICA.

About AMC Networks Inc.

Dedicated to producing quality programming and movie content for more than 30 years, AMC Networks Inc. (NASDAQ: AMCX) owns and operates several of the most popular and award-winning brands in cable television. AMC, IFC, SundanceTV, WE tv, and IFC Films produce and deliver distinctive, compelling and culturally relevant content that engages audiences across multiple platforms. The company also operates BBC AMERICA through a joint venture with BBC Worldwide. In addition, the company operates AMC Networks International, its global division. More information is available at www.amcnetworks.com.

About Temple Street Productions

Temple Street Productions is a leading producer of television, film and digital media content based in Toronto and Los Angeles. A selection of Temple Street’s past and present projects include, Orphan Black (BBC AMERICA, Space), X Company (CBC), Being Erica (CBC, SOAPnet), The Next Step (Family Channel), Wingin’ It (Family Channel), Say Yes to the Dress Canada (W), Million Dollar Critic (W, BBC America), Cook’d (YTV), Over the Rainbow (CBC), Recipe to Riches (CBC, Food Network, Global), Cover Me Canada (CBC), Billable Hours (Global, Showcase), Canada’s Next Top Model (CTV), How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? (CBC), Queer as Folk (Showtime, Showcase), and Darcy’s Wild Life (NBC, Discovery Kids, Family Channel). For more company information www.templestreetproductions.com twitter @TempleStreet or connect with us on Facebook.

Interesting that the show ranks behind only "Mad Men" in terms of the affluence of its audience. That's a pretty huge selling point to advertisers.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Finally. A show I really like that has the audience and money to keep it going. I was always afraid that no matter how good it was that they would end up pulling it.

I have gotten at least 10 people at work watching the show. And they all love it. Which is unusual in itself as they normally don't agree on anything.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Parker Clack said:
Finally. A show I really like that has the audience and money to keep it going. I was always afraid that no matter how good it was that they would end up pulling it.

This! x1000! What a welcome change compared to just about every other sci-fi show I've ever liked, where half of the time was spent wondering if the show would be canceled before it finished the season and/or story.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Between the bullet removal, the brain 'surgery' and the exhumation of a baby, I thought I was watching a Saw movie.

And c'mon Donnie, they didn't keep product in a storage locker on Breaking Bad. They only kept money there.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The moment where Helena mercy kills the Castor clone who's strapped down with the top half of his skull missing was surprisingly moving, and a showcase for why Helena continues to be one of the most intriguing characters on television. The show continues to do a good job navigating a character who is just as smart as her "sestras", but is so much more limited in her base knowledge. Watching her piece together what's happening in Castor HQ and drawing her own conclusions is fascinating.

Now that Gracie has miscarried, I wonder where the show is going with her character. There has to be a reason the show has her in the mix, if it's not to be the mother of Helena's baby. I will say that Zoé De Grand Maison continues to do good work in the role, always putting the audience right in Gracie's point of view despite her actually saying very little.

Interesting that there are differences in rank even within the ranks of the Castor clones, and that they apparently weren't all born at once.

Justin Chatwin adds yet another charming and roguish criminal to his resume.

This was one of those episodes where I got to the "Next time on..." card and said, "Is the episode over already?"

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Boy, Alison sure attracts a type, doesn't she? Both Vic the Dick and Ramon sorta like her, and now this guy. Maybe all drug dealers really want are homemade gifts from the heart and garage-sex.

Helena stabbing Parsons in the brain (against her scorpion-conscience's wishes, no less) and calling Dr. Coady a "shitmother" were two of the greatest things I never knew I wanted to see.

Never stop topping yourself, Orphan Black. Never stop.

Also, not only does Tatiana voice the scorpion, she also evidently performs all the sound effects too, including the "purrs and clicks." ("She, like, beatboxed that thing," according to Graeme Manson.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam Lenhardt said:
The moment where Helena mercy kills the Castor clone who's strapped down with the top half of his skull missing was surprisingly moving, and a showcase for why Helena continues to be one of the most intriguing characters on television. The show continues to do a good job navigating a character who is just as smart as her "sestras", but is so much more limited in her base knowledge. Watching her piece together what's happening in Castor HQ and drawing her own conclusions is fascinating.

Now that Gracie has miscarried, I wonder where the show is going with her character. There has to be a reason the show has her in the mix, if it's not to be the mother of Helena's baby. I will say that Zoé De Grand Maison continues to do good work in the role, always putting the audience right in Gracie's point of view despite her actually saying very little.

Interesting that there are differences in rank even within the ranks of the Castor clones, and that they apparently weren't all born at once.

Justin Chatwin adds yet another charming and roguish criminal to his resume.

This was one of those episodes where I got to the "Next time on..." card and said, "Is the episode over already?"

In Season 1, I thought a little Helena goes a long ways. And when she came back from the dead, I feared Orphan Black was going to be that show, that can't give up on its pet villain (cough heroes cough). But they've deftly developed moved Helena from rabid-dog into a complex, thoughtful, dangerous character.

The rank of the Castor clones: You might be right; it might be some complex biology. My thought was simpler: it's military rank. Some excelled faster than others. We see this variation among the Ledo girls. Additionally, the Castor boys have varying degrees of mental instability, which affects their ability to hew to the rigid hierarchy of a para-military.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
I need an app that plays Felix quotes automatically whenever I'm in a shitty mood. That dude never fails to make me laugh.
My one complaint about this season is that I want to see more Felix. Given all the situations that they have the clone characters in, I realize it must be tough for the writers to have more scenes with him though.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think part of why Tatiana Maslany doesn't get all of the awards recognition she deserves is because too many voters think of what she does as a gimmick. But if you ignore everything else in the episode and ignore that Maslany is also performing Helena's half of the conversation, and just take the scene where Sarah confesses why she left Kira with Mrs. S, she still deserves an Emmy. One of the great mysteries of the show for me has been the gap between the fierce mama bear we've seen over the course of the show and the initial circumstances where Sarah wasn't even allowed to visit Kira. Maslany embues Sarah's confession with the chasm of remorse felt by a responsible adult looking back with immense regret at her irresponsible childish past. It's a staggering scene, with the full weight of a mother who missed too much of her daughter's life and now fears missing the rest of it. Yes, she's trying to bring Helena around to her side, but everything she says is true.

Speaking of Helena, the show continues to fully embrace her moral complexity. Given everything, I can totally believe that she'd do what she did. But I hope she finds out how uninvolved Sarah was with her abduction, and the lengths her "sestra" went to find her. And I hope by the time that happens, it won't be too late to save Sarah.

TravisR said:
My one complaint about this season is that I want to see more Felix. Given all the situations that they have the clone characters in, I realize it must be tough for the writers to have more scenes with him though.

I thought the tension in tonight's episode between the exiled religious fundamentalist and the rent boy was really interesting stuff.

Speaking of said exiled religious fundamentalist, seeing her lash out against the restrictions that had been imposed on her her whole life was a lot of fun. And the shot of 5-foot-7 Gracie at the end of the hallway in the much more petite Sarah's sluttiest clothes was a hilarious little sight gag.

It appears that Gracie consummating her marriage to Mark is what caused her to miscarry. I had assumed that the Castor clones were designed to simply shoot blanks as a means of infertility. But it would seem that it's something more insidious than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks