Orange is the new Black (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Jul 11, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Original series by the team that brought out Weeds. I'm surprised by how good this is. Just picked through the first two episodes, great start.

2. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    My wife and I have been marathoning this show (we're in the middle of episode 8) and if you liked Weeds, it has a similar sensibility and wit about it. I really like how the show takes its time to introduce its sprawling cast via flashbacks, which sometimes dramatize how they ended up in prison and sometimes illuminate the motivations and personalities of the cast.

It's still one of those "Nice White Lady" shows, but the pacing is very nice and there's never a dull moment. The 52-60 minute runtime gives it a lot of room to breathe and develop. The entire cast is great, although I'm on the fence about Kate Mulgrew's Russian accent. Not sure if she did it for the role or not, but Capt Janeway is quite beefy here. I almost didn't recognize her at first. Weeds fans will recognize Jack Stehlin, who's one of the best things about the show.

3. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Yeah I am up to episode five, and there are some good and some cringe in a good way jokes.

4. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Just finished a marathon and finished season one. Really enjoyed this a lot. Truly unique. A mx of Oz and comedy. Truly unique.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    It started off good, but man, it finished like Secretariat. It's just sooo good -- the characters are uniformly excellent, the performances are top notch, and while it helped that they got Jenji Cohan, it's shocking that this first wave of Netflix original series is as stellar as it is. Easily a top ten show. Can't wait for the second season.

6. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I thought the finale was excellent and plausible way to setup an extended series if they wantSent from my Nokia 920 using Tapatalk

7. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Supporting Actor

Joe Bernardi
    Watched the entire season in big chunks over three days. Followed by The Fall, then Hit & Miss.

8. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

I haven't finished the season yet, getting close though. I'm definitely really enjoying it, but the title sequence is so obnoxious and goes on way too long.

I watched it once and have had to skip ahead every time since.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Finally finished the season. I liked "House of Cards" more than this show, which I found to be just okay. But I did like the season 1 ending scene, that just needed to be done.

10. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Just caught the first two episodes on DVD. Almost tempted to get my free month of Netflix renewal going to check out the rest!

11. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Finished watching the second season this past weekend. Look forward to the next installment.

12. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

Just curious: are shows like this eligible for Emmys?

13. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    About to finish season one. . .this show is surprisingly entertaining! It reminds me of Dexter in the way its focus is less on plot lines than on observing wacky characters' wacky interactions. :)

14. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I absolutely loved this show. It actually was the reason I subscribed to Netflix after a several year break. Can't wait for season three on June 13th!

Tina_H_V likes this.
  15. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Way to be about it Eric!!! Yes, this is one of my all-time favorite shows already!!!! Not only do I already have S1 on BD, but I will be picking up S2 for me and my mother on May 19th!!!!

And as fo rS3...that rolls right on into my birthday weekend!!!! How approbational is that!!!???? :) :wub: :banana: