What's new

Optoma GT750E 3D-Capable DLP Projector Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Optoma’s newest addition to their GameTime line-up of DLP projectors, the GT750E, adds full 3D support for Blu-ray and Playstation 3, plus an extra HDMI input and higher lumens rating than the previous top of the line GT720. With an MSRP of $799, it breaks the $1000 price barrier for a 3D-capable projector, albeit with a native resolution of only 1280x800.

Optoma GT750E 3D-Capable DLP Projector

Specifications
Display Technology: Single 0.65” DC3 DMD DLP by Texas Instruments
Native Resolution: WXGA (1280x800), 2D 720p, 3D
Maximum Resolution: VGA: UXGA (1600x1200), HDMI: 1080p
Brightness: 3000 ANSI Lumens
Contrast Ratio: 3000:1 (Full On/Full Off)
Lamp Life: 4000/3000 Hours (STD/Bright) 230W P-VIP
Throw Ratio: 0.72:1 (Distance/Width)
Weight: 6.6 pounds

Note: Specifications are provided by the manufacturer and were not tested in this review for accuracy.

First introduced at this year’s Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, the Optoma GT750E was a gamer and movie-lover’s dream come true. Finally, a 3D-capable projector that was fully-compliant with both the 3D Blu-ray and Playstation 3 3D gaming specifications, that was light enough to toss into the included backpack for travel, and less than $800 MSRP. Add in the extremely short throw distance and increased brightness, it would be a no-brainer.

Optoma was gracious to provide a GT750 for review. Included in the box were a power cord, a component video to VGA adapter, a backlit remote control with batteries, a 3D RF Emitter, and a padded backpack for storage and portability. Not included and sold seperately (but provided by Optoma for this review) are rechargeable RF active shutter 3D glasses (which sell for around $100/pair) and an RF emitter for 3D glasses (around $150, and includes 1 pair of glasses). The projector is also compatible with 120Hz DLP-Link glasses which do not require an add-on emitter.

The projector has three adjustable feet, the two rear feet used for leveling the image, the front foot for height, making it simple to setup just about anywhere there is a screen or bright white wall. It can also be attached to a standard ceiling projector mount. There are 2x HDMI 1.4a inputs, a VGA port (that can be used for component video with the supplied adapter), S-Video input, composite video input, RCA stereo input, 3.5mm stereo audio output, RS-232 serial connector, and a 3D Sync connector (for the RF emitter).

I’m happy to report that this hybrid projector delivers the goods, for the most part. Since my Yamaha RX-V563 receiver does not support HDMI 1.4a, I connected my PlayStation 3 directly to the projector. As soon as a handshake was initiated, I ran the automatic setup under Display Setup on the PS3, per the projector’s owners manual. This allowed the PS3 to detect the 3D capability of the projector. The short throw of the projector is very good, as I was able to achieve a 70” wide projected image at only 52 inches from the screen. Since the native resolution is 1280x800, the projected image was slightly letterboxed. I then ran a simple calibration using Digital Video Essentials and the projector’s Cinema setting, with the lamp set to Bright. The good news is that with the Cinema setting, I only needed to tweak the contrast setting to -1. Everything else seemed to be near-perfect. Now it was time to play some games and watch some movies!

I immediately began playing Stardust HD, which Sony added 3D capability to last summer, and was one of the free games in Sony’s Welcome Back promotion after the PSN crash. The 3D was average, even after adjusting the depth in the game’s options menu. I then gave TRON: Evolution a spin, which was created with a 3D option when the game was first published. The 3D was much more immersive, with no major ghosting or crosstalk issues. Since most games, especially 3D games, are rendered in 720p, I was not surprised at how well the projector handled the video. To check the Blu-ray capabilities, I viewed the same material as I did in my Optoma HD33 review, and received similar results. Any discs that exhibited flaws on the HD33 showed the same flaws on the GT750, and handled the downscaling from 1080p to 720p fairly well, with minimal artifacts that were barely noticeable. And like the HD33, the GT750 is compatible with Side-By-Side and Top-and-Bottom 3D techniques for broadcast 3D from your cable or satellite provider.

The RF 3D glasses are the same glasses used with the HD33, and I found them to be quite comfortable. Rated charge life is approximately 70 hours with a 3-4 hour recharge time (via USB), although it is recommended that the initial charge be 24 hours. The glasses have a built-in power-off if they do not detect a sync signal after five minutes.

Rated at 3000 Lumens, the GT750 is Optoma’s brightest GameTime projector, allowing for adequate ambient light sources in your viewing area, yet still projecting a decently lit image. The projector is bright enough to be possibly be used to project movies in your backyard. Lamp life is rated at between 3000 and 4000 hours, depending on which lamp mode is used. Noise levels will also vary based on lamp settings. Standard mode with high altitude turned off was the quietest, and Bright mode with high altitude turned on obviously produced more fan noise. The projector also emits quite a bit of heat, so you may have to adjust the room temperature accordingly.

The GT750 has built-in stereo speakers that are driven by a 10 watt (5w per channel) amplifier, that provides decent sound when it is not practical to connect to a full-blown home theater receiver, and volume can be controlled from the remote control. Obviously, the quality of the audio can also be improved somewhat by connecting a set of computer speakers to the audio output on the projector.

Although not exactly practical for a dedicated home theater setup, for the money the GT750 makes for a very good 3D projector for either a dedicated games and media room, backyard movie nights, or game nights at various friend’s homes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks