What's new

Optical or HDMI for this setup? (1 Viewer)

JasonJJJ

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Hi all,

I'm running a 3.1 setup (two fronts, one center and one sub) and I currently have it hooked up via optical. I use the system for movies and music listening.

Am i losing audio quality with this optical setup or is optical giving me everything I need?

My system is below:
  • Receiver: Yamaha RX-V373
  • Fronts: B&W DM603 S3
  • Center: B&W LCR 60 S3
  • Sub: B&W ASW 600
Thanks!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Optical connection would limit you to lossy audio for surround tracks -- only 2-channel-or-less can be lossless via that.

Of course, whether you can hear/appreciate the diff (particularly in your overall setup) would be another story...

_Man_

JasonJJJ

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Optical connection would limit you to lossy audio for surround tracks -- only 2-channel-or-less can be lossless via that.

Of course, whether you can hear/appreciate the diff (particularly in your overall setup) would be another story...

_Man_

What about for movies streamed to my TV with an optical out to my reciever? Would I be losing sound quality that way? Encanto sounded amazing when testing it yesterday.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
IF you mean using the usual streaming services like Disney+, not your own ripped content streamed from an HTPC or NAS (local to your setup), they all only provide lossy audio anyway, so you shouldn't be losing any quality from the stream.

_Man_

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
Optical doesn't support Dolby digital plus. So yes you are losing quality by using optical as it only does basic Dolby digital and dts 5.1

Use hdmi arc instead.

JasonJJJ

Grip
Real Name
Jason
Optical doesn't support Dolby digital plus. So yes you are losing quality by using optical as it only does basic Dolby digital and dts 5.1

Use hdmi arc instead.

How do I know if I'd be using Dolby plus, regular Dolby or DTS 5.1 anyway? Is that a selection on the receiver?

Wardog555

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fraser
How do I know if I'd be using Dolby plus, regular Dolby or DTS 5.1 anyway? Is that a selection on the receiver?
No. It's from the source that determines it.
Streaming services use Dolby digital plus extensively.
Your receiver will show what kind of format it's being sent.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The big red flag you've got there is that RX-V373. That doesn't support HDCP 2.2.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s 2023. The answer is always HDMI. Listening to AM radio in a storm with bad reception? 8K HDMI without hesitation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks