What's new

Opinion required on new receiver required (1 Viewer)

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
I'm setting up a budget HT system and currently researching on a receiver to start with. I would say I'm totally new to HT systems (had an entry level Pioneer HTIB long ago). On browsing through the specs for few of the receivers, have come up with following choices and require expert opinion in narrowing down and close the deal. Would appreciate your opinion's and suggestions (or just rank them in your order of preference);
YAMAHA RX-V367 ($230) DENON AVR 1610 ($279) PIONEER VSK-819H-K ($299) SHERWOOD (RD-7405HDR) (@229 pre-order) [Not a Sherwood Newcastle; is there a difference between SH and SHN??] ONKYO TX-SR308 ($229) Any other to consider in this range?? was looking for an HK in this range but didnt find one in their website. Room Size - small; starting with 2.1 and may upgrade to 5.1 later.. Listening - mostly music Source- more of computers/iPods/iPhones, less of TV Comparison: Not sure what criteria to compare but put together the following - Watts - I believe it doesnt matter. THD- Yamaha - 0.9% (1khz, 8ohm) Denon - 0.7% (1KHZ, 6ohm/ 0.08%@ 20hz-20khz,8ohm) Sherwood - 0.2% (40hz-20Khz, 6ohm) Onkyo - 0.7% (2 channels driving), 1khz, 8ohm Pioneer - 0.05% ?? Features: HD Radio - Sherwood - Yes Yamaha-no Onkyo-yes, optional accessory Denon/Pioneer- no iPod/iPhone connectivity- Sherwood - yes Yamaha/Onkyo - optional accessory Denon - No Pioneer - no AM/FM Radio - Sherwood/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo/Denon - yes USB connectivity - Pioneer -yes Sherwood/Yamaha/Onkyo/Denon - No Digital coaxial/optical inputs - Sherwood/Yamaha/Pioneer/Onkyo/Denon - yes HDMI Yamaha -4/1 Onkyo -? Sherwood - 2/1 Pioneer/Denon-3/1 Bluetooth/wireless capability - Yamaha - no Onkyo - optional accessory ($229) Sherwood - optional accessory ($50) Pioneer/Denon- no I'm leaning towards Sherwood but dont know about the quality (havent heard the brand before I started this research) because of all the HD stuff, HD radio, iphone feature set etc. There is no detailed spec sheet for Sherwood RD-7405HDR; Pioneer too seems to have good features (automatic calibration?) or may be wait for Denon 1611 (June2010?) but it will be +$100 more than 1610. Speakers ?? - Havent started the research but Polk R150 bookshelf ($99 a pair) looks attractive for the price but havent put much thought to it yet. Sub-?? not yet!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sherwood has been around for a long time and have actually manufactured products for other companies to their specification like Harman Kardon. The Sherwood branded receivers are for the most part lower end models. I'd stick to the more comon brnds like Denon, Onkyo Pioneer, Yamaha and Harman Kardon.

But of the receivers you have mentioned the Denon 1610 has the best features for the lowest price. I have no idea what will be gained (or lost) with the 1611(?). The Pioneer and Onkyo would close behind.

The least expensive current H/K is the 1600.

In your price range look closer at what features they have to offer and the ones you might actually use. Things like watts per channel and THD will be acceptable regardless of the actual spec.

Vanns.com has great prices on Jamo speakers right now. Jamo has been around for quite a while. They're from Denmark which has a good rep for producing fine speakers. Shipping to you is free but because of the closout pricing the return policy is only 7 days.

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
Thanks Gene C and sorry for the delayed response. I was reading through this forum and man you guys are awesome!

Ok, I'm narrowing down between Onkyo 507 and Denon 1610 or wait for Denon AVR391 (expected in July); I'm browsing through for speakers and will post my choices/options in coming days.

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
As for Speakers, following are my choices as of now -

Bookshelfs -

Polk Monitor 40 ($140 @new egg)

Klipsch B3 ($170 @amazon)

Infinity Primus P162 (@170 @crutchfield)

Boston C26b ($130 @expo)

Sub-

Jamo Sub550 ($200, vanns)

Dayton Sub120HT ($155, @parts express)

Any suggestions which among these are to go for? Also I'm not sure if any of these will have a problem with the receivers I was looking at before (Onkyo SR507, Denon 1610, Denon 391). Any thoughts?? will also try to have an audition for any of these at a local store.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If it were me ( or, "I") I would get the Primus 162's because they have a softer, warmer sound to them. I own a pair of Beta 20's and they suit me just fine.

I don't really know anything about the Klipsch speakers you listed except that Klipsch in general is a very bright sounding speaker which is the exact opposite of what I like. You may feel differently.

The Polk Monitor series isn't bad for what it is and at that price it's tough to beat. I recommend them often to people who really don't know what they want. I've heard the 30's, 60's and I think it was the C20 at a relatives house and they sounded pretty good but I'm sure the system wasn't setup correctly.

My brother has the Boston C226's, C23's and a matching center and again, not bad for what they are but just a tad bit on the bright side as well.

Well, that's what I think, but what I think doesn't mean a thing. Only way to find out what's best for you is to give them a listen.

As for the sub, that Jamo is intriguing. Maybe you should buy it so you can tell us if it's any good

PartsExpress subs are pretty good for the price. I've been using a couple of the smaller 10" models for a few years now without any problems.

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
Thank you very much Gene. Appreciate your feedback.

How does the SVS bookshelf SBS-02 compare with the bookshelf list? I understand that SVS subs are universally accepted as among the top of the shelf but I dont get more info about the bookshelf's. The website also do not contain anything in terms of spec. I know its little bit pricier but if its good I would try to figure out how to fit into the budget.

And as regards the sub - How does the below compare with Jamo sub550 & Dayton 120HT? -

BIC America F12 - currently on pre-order for $205; spec seems to be good.

Def Tech ProSub60-$170

Velodyne VX-11 $170

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm pretty sure the SB-02's would be better than just about anything on your list. There are specs on the bottom of the page you linked to but on the bottom is the note

"Specs pending update with new configurations". Not sure what it means.

The bass is only rated down to 68 hz which seems a little high to me but it wouldn't really make any difference since your crossover will be set much higher than that anyway. They also look like they have a sealed enclosure which is said to produce a more accurate sound with tighter bass, just not as low.

Sorry, but I really don't have any experience with those subs you listed. On paper they all look pretty good but I have no idea how they sound.

mouly

Grip
Real Name
Chandra
Thanks Gene C. Can you explain more about the crossover you had stated? so what would be the crossover that need to be set in this case?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd say 100hz would be a good setting. 80 might work too but since the speakers only go to 68 hz I'd let the sub do more of the work and set the crossover to 100. And who knows, you may like 120 even better. Experiment. But not less than 80.

bigtank

Auditioning
Real Name
grant
go to crutchfield.com and look at the Denon 1910 on sale for $399, that would be your best bet. but just look around for some higher model denons from last year on sale and get yourself a deal unless you just have to have 1.4a hdmi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks