What's new

Beginning to Research New Receiver... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Congrats Mike on the new receiver. I've been fighting the upgrade fever myself, not because my old receiver an Onkyo 3010 is giving me problems, but because I love buying new equipment. :wacko: Anyhow, I've looked at the Marantz 7009, Denon 5200 and Onkyo 3030. I haven't pulled the trigger because that little voice called "common sense" keeps telling me if you're not ready to upgrade your Paradigm Reference speaker setup to handle Dolby Atmos at this time then why do you need to buy a new receiver now? A good question that I can't give a responsible answer to. So perhaps I'll wait until next year when the second generation Dolby Atmos receivers come out. Chances are, I'll still probably won't be ready to change out speakers or install ceiling ones for this new audio codec. I already have seven speakers and two subs in my main HT which is also my living room which is why I don't like hanging speakers or installing ceiling ones as chances are I'm thinking of retirement and moving out of my current digs in less than two years.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mmmmmm. Retirement.

THAT sounds good.

I'm thinking it might be about five years away for me. It's like a flickering light at the end of a tunnel. But the light is getting brighter.

I kinda wish I didn't have to do this particular upgrade. I was really happy with my current Denon...but that problem with the one front speaker being off-calibrated has been driving me NUTS!

However, even though I didn't necessarily WANT to do this upgrade...that doesn't mean I haven't already downloaded the manual to the new unit and haven't been poring over its pages! :biggrin:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
gene c said:
I haven't bought from crutchfield since back in the day either. I remember getting excited when the new catalog came in the mail ("The new phone book is here!...The new phone book is here!" Well, not as excited as The Jerk was about the new phone book). But they do have good prices on closeout items. And they are one of my go-to sites for product information.
ArmSC said:
Oh the good old days...read that thing cover to cover too! I remember me and my brother fighting over the Crutchfield catalog when it came in.
:biggrin:

gallery_286742_34_209802.jpg

This was in the box with the receiver. It wasn't much though...just blurbs about a few products/technologies with encouragement to visit their website to get more info. :(

I'll let you know when I get a "catalog" in the mail. But I'm not hopeful that it'll be much more.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still learning about my new Denon X-2000.

Lots to like in the upgrade from the Denon 790. For one, this receiver actualloy works where the 790 gave me issues with the right-front channel. For another, the remote control is a million times better. While I use a Harmony One for my day-to-day use...the Denon 2000's own remote is simple and easy-to-use for menu/set-up purposes compared to the remote that came with the 790. The 790 remote even had a panel on it's back side and was as complicated as can be.

Still have to conect the receiver to my network and learn about streaming music etc. This isn't a big deal for me, however, as most of my music listening is done on disc: Blu/SACD/DVD-A/CD.

I found a status button on the front panel of the receiver which allows me to identify several things about the source information it is receiving--especially the resolution of the audio feed. :thumbsup:

At the same time I upgraded my receiver, I also upgraded my five speakers from those entry-level Polk speakers (enumerated in the OP) to a pair of Polk RTi6s for my fronts, a CSi5 center and a pair of RTi4s for my rear speakers. They join my SVS PB-1000 subwoofer.

The upgrade of the receiver and speakers has really given me a ton of fun in digging out some of my favorite audio demo material and taking the opportunity to re-listen to it all.

I am one extremely happy camper. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Still learning about my new Denon X-2000.

Lots to like in the upgrade from the Denon 790. For one, this receiver actualloy works where the 790 gave me issues with the right-front channel. For another, the remote control is a million times better. While I use a Harmony One for my day-to-day use...the Denon 2000's own remote is simple and easy-to-use for menu/set-up purposes compared to the remote that came with the 790. The 790 remote even had a panel on it's back side and was as complicated as can be.

Still have to conect the receiver to my network and learn about streaming music etc. This isn't a big deal for me, however, as most of my music listening is done on disc: Blu/SACD/DVD-A/CD.

I found a status button on the front panel of the receiver which allows me to identify several things about the source information it is receiving--especially the resolution of the audio feed. :thumbsup:

At the same time I upgraded my receiver, I also upgraded my five speakers from those entry-level Polk speakers (enumerated in the OP) to a pair of Polk RTi6s for my fronts, a CSi5 center and a pair of RTi4s for my rear speakers. They join my SVS PB-1000 subwoofer.

The upgrade of the receiver and speakers has really given me a ton of fun in digging out some of my favorite audio demo material and taking the opportunity to re-listen to it all.

I am one extremely happy camper. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm happy for you Mike. It's great that you're very satisfied with your recent purchases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I was going to buy a new receiver right now it would be the Denon X5200

However, I am not ready to upgrade to Atmos right now, so I might also wait

for the next generation receivers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
If I was going to buy a new receiver right now it would be the Denon X5200

However, I am not ready to upgrade to Atmos right now, so I might also wait

for the next generation receivers.
I think that's the smart move.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I can't officially say anything(cause, the whole wholesale "ahead of time knowledge" thing...)...

New projector and AVR coming in May and July, respectively...

Street dates of both are June and September.

Consumer AVR that should hit the companies website in late Feb(they have already landed in the Los Angeles warehouses...but even we can't have them till they are distributed through the US. I get mine 3 weeks before ABT, Amazon and Best Buy can sell them)

Business class projector. As the "consumer division" of same company isn't releasing HDBaseT on consumer yet. I'm jumping that gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks