What's new

Open box or not? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I just received a Sony X800M2 from an Amazon partner. It was sold as "open box" for a very attractive price. Yet it came sealed and appeared to never have been opened before. Even the OEM plastic strap holding the two styrofoam packing blocks was intact. I'm not complaining, just curious.

Is this a dodge to get around some kind of minimum advertised price from Sony?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Could be that someone bought it and returned it unopened but that Amazon treated it as an open box regardless.
I've had that as well. In fact, that's how I got a rip roaring deal on my Marantz AV7703 preamp. It was mistakenly labeled and sold as an SR7012 receiver, and returned unopened. I ended up getting it for about 60% off retail.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Do they have more?

I might be interested if the price is attractive enough (in part for SACD support... in case my Oppos die)... even though I've been largely critical of Sony drives/players in the past (though the X700 did work fine enough for me for the couple years I used it before switching to Panny 420)...

_Man_

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I've been thinking about this. The seal on the box is a strip of tape on each side where there's a flap. I think I only had to cut one of the two. I suppose cutting the tape on one side of the box makes it technically "open box". This is similar to remainder books being marked on the edge with a felt pen to make them technically "damaged" so they can be sold under list price.

Lots left at $217 shipped.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just received a Sony X800M2 from an Amazon partner. It was sold as "open box" for a very attractive price. Yet it came sealed and appeared to never have been opened before.
I ordered this same player from Best Buy, open box - excellent on June 12th. Received it on the 15th, only damage I could see was one of the styrofoam struts was broken. I paid $157.99 + tax to replace a Panasonic.

Has been working like a champ. Great open box purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks