What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onkyo TX-SR876 (1 Viewer)

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
I'm going to be in the market for a new receiver by the end of the year. I've done some research and am considering the Onkyo TX-SR876. Who here is using this receiver? What are your feelings on it? Good points, bad points. Any feedback would be very helpful. I'll be using it with the following:

JBL ND 310s (mains)
JBL S-Center (center)
Polk Bipole/Dipoles (surrounds)
SVS PB12 Plus (sub)
Sony S550 (Blu-ray player)
Sanyo PLV Z700 (projector)

728x90

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
OK, after a little more research, I'm also considering the 806 as well. I would like some feedback on 876 vs 806, and why. Since I don't upgrade receivers every other year, I want to be sure I'm getting the most for my money.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The biggest differences between the two are the 876 has a much better amp section (though the 806 is probably more than adequate) and it uses the HQV Reon video processing.

Other things the 876 has are Audyssey MultEq XT, HD radio, 2 hdmi outputs, Neural (THX), BurrBrown dacs, VLSC and a back-lit remote. The 806 has 5 hdmi inputs vs 4 for the 876.

If you haven't looked at the comparison chart from Onkyo's web site, here it is 876 vs 806 (well, the link doesn't work but it's worth the effort to view the chart). I also suggest you download the manuals, if you haven't already done so.

IMO, the 876 looks real good on paper but unless your putting together a stellar system the 806 is most likely good enough. And it's +/- $250 cheaper.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I've heard of problems with the video in the 806. You might be happier in the long run with the 876, since it has the better HQV Reon video processing. I have the 805, and really like it so far. I got it in November. I don't have an HDTV or blu ray player yet, so I don't know about the video and HD audio processing abilities yet. As far as power, it has plenty, and it's driving power hungry 4 ohm speakers.

Onkyos are a lot of bang for the buck. One thing to think about though. I wouldn't close one in, in an entertainment center or cabinet. They are known to run kinda hot. Mine is on top of my entertainment center, and doesn't get hot at all, even driving those speakers at loud volumes, for a period of time. I did a test, to see if it would run hot, and it didn't.
Good luck!

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks for your feedback Gene! I'm seeing the 806 as low as $620 on Amazon right now. But, I'm not ready yet ,financially. I had looked at the 806 initially , but I was just curious if the 876 was worth the extra money when I saw it. On down the road I didn't want to be saying, " I wish I had gotten the other receiver instead". I'm sure we've all been there. Thanks again. And Ed, thanks for your input as well. I still haven't made a definate decision, thats why I'm putting out feelers now. Hopefully by the time I have the cash, I'll actually know what I want!

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
If anyone else has any suggestions for a receiver that is not an Onkyo, I'd like your feedback as well. I've also looked at a couple of the Pioneer Elites that seem to have similar features and are around the same price range as the 876.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It would be hard to find another brand with as many features as Onkyo for the same price. There are many other excellent brands out there but you won't get as many features.

The Pioneer vsx-03 and 92txh (if you can find one) are alternate choices. So is the Marantz 7002 from ac4l.com for $899, but it's a refurb. From Denon, the 2809 (but I think(?) it only up-converts to 480P), the Yamaha 863 and possibly 1900 but that one might be out of your price range, and the H/K 354, which Fry's had on sale a few days ago $549. Those should keep you busy for awhile. I've also seen a new H/K 3550HD on e-bay for $899 but it isn't on H/K's web site yet. Hmm...

BTW, I forgot to mention the 876 also has isf video calibration. But I'm not sure how effective it is.

Edited to change sc-03 to vsx-03.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Thanks again Gene. You're right. I think this will keep me busy until I have the funds for my upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks