What's new
World Wide Stereo

Onkyo tx-sr605 and seperate power amp (1 Viewer)

Andysk

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
I am hoping someone can help me with a question I have.
I like listening to home theatre quit a bit but i have also got into listening to good music as well. I am thinking of connecting a power amp but I am wondering if someone can tell me if connecting a separate power amp to my receiver will make any difference to my home theater experience. The Onkyo has the capability to connect to a power amp through its zone 2 out puts.
i have a choice in going ahead with this or getting a phono pre amp and record player or going ahead and making my own cables that would be better then what I have.
Any input would be great
Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
Can Zone 2 outputs be programmed to work as main speakers in a multi channel set up? Otherwise your going to have basically two systems, a x.1 theater set up and a seperate 2 channel, external amp and two different speakers.
If that's what your looking to do, then a good amp and speakers will work.

Andysk

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hi Thanks for the response
I phoned Onkyo USA and talked to somewhere there but he was a little fuzzy. I asked him about your question and he told me I would have to add rca to anything that was using it. So he said that if I was using HDMI on a DVD player I also had to run rca. Didnt make a lot of sense. Any help?
Thanks

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Most of the Zone 2 outputs in all but the most expensive receivers are analog input only. Anything input into the receiver via hdmi, optical or coaxial won't be output via Zone 2. I think it's a copywright issue but I could be wrong. So it's not just Onkyo. They all work like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks