What's new

Onkyo tx-ds494 vs. Harmon Kardon avr-110 (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
douglas -
just curious myself. which one did you pick?
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I've owned both brands in DD/DTS flavors. Both are great receivers, but in terms of all around sound quality, HK wins for a more refined output for both movies and music. True the Onkyo has DPLII, but the HK has a 5-speaker mode for Logic 7 that is every bit as good as DPLII.

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Douglas; My brother owns and uses both speakers. He has a Yamaha 2095 powering the two supertwos and the three superones. On audioreview.com many who reveiewed the supertwo claimed they needed alot of juice to push them. Be sure that whichever receiver you buy, that you can get your money back. Although both receivers may be top notch entry level receivers, they might not have the gusto to push the supertwos. Of course they could be fine for the supertwos as well. I have scene some funny relationships between speakers and amps in my lifetime that can really surprise you. I consider the "twos" one of the great speakers to own.

Ok I picked up the Onkyo 494 from Circuit City for $330 out the door and got some cheap center and surrounds (which I traded my friend for a car cover). The sound was suprising for only 55 wpc. The pro-logic two sounded much better than regular pro-logic. It just happens to be that my distributor carries Harmon Kardon, So I returned the Onkyo 494 and picked up the HK avr-210 for $350 out the door from my distributor. Power wise it's about the same as the Onkyo, SQ wise the HK wins. As of right now in my room there is enough bass that I don't need a subwoofer. There is a lot of bass. I think a 2 ch or 5 ch power amp is next. Because these super two's are nowhere near their potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks