What's new

Ongoing Coupling (USA) thread (show cancelled) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Was Howard (Paul) playing a republican as well? I thought it was Patrick who was the republican.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I have not, and will not, even bother with the American version. I do think the British one is frickin' hilarious. I think it is funnier because it is British, for one thing.
I just can't believe the same people would even bother with an American version. It seems like they're just competing with themselves.
My question is this-Did other successful series, like "All In The Family", that were based on British shows, actually run after the British versions were completed, or, at the same time, like this?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Episode 1.3 (The Funeral). 10/9/03

Well, not great, but okay. I think Patrick (Colin Ferguson)is the one that seems to get his character the most. What's sort of disturbing is that IMDB lists the character's name on the show is "Patrick Bateman" which was the lead character's name in "American Psycho"...Coincidence...Hmmm...

Christopher Moynihan (Jeff) is trying, but he just hasn't been able to re-capture the original Jeff's manic-ness (and his krazy-eyes when delivering his lines with confused conviction).

Sonya Walger wasn't as good at mining the laughs out of the same material as her British counterpart (but there was more setup in the British version of the episode.

These condensed US episodes aren't doing the original episodes justice.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I watched the second and third episodes last night.

First, I don't think they've done enough development for Sally, which makes understanding her motivations and insecurities difficult. Plus I don't think the actress fits the role at all.

I like that girl playing Jane, she has such an interesting look to her, but I still feel that she comes off as being more devious and such, where as the British Jane is just self absorved and a bit naive.

The guy playing Patrick is alright, but in my opinion he looks kind of old and doesn't look good enough to be as arrogant as Patrick needs to be.

Steve did a hell of a Michael Madsen impersonation during the Reservoir Dogs bit.

The actor playing Jeff just doesn't have that same manic/nervous look that helps the British Jeff so much.

Overall, I think the show is getting hurt by the runtime, and the desire of these actors to portray the characters too much like their British couterparts. In order for the acting to work, they have to feel comfortable doing the lines as it suits them.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
The Reservoir Dogs bit had me laughing.

The last part with the trying not to laugh during the prayer, had me doing the same exact thing. It's a decent show. I'm not comparing it to the British version, cause I still haven't seen it yet.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I tried again, but gave up after a few minutes. I really don't know why, but the acting in this show just rubs me the wrong way. I'm giving up. :)

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. They killed the "giggle loop" joke on Thursday. NBC, take not: It plays much funnier without a laugh track. Trust me on this - I know when I want to laugh, and no one is going to tell me otherwise.

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
I'm hoping they'll make it to the episode: "The Woman with Two Breasts" and manage to win over a whole bunch of viewers, but sadly I feel they won't make it that far.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Tonight's episode should be a wake-up call to the writers that writing original material rather than trying to imitate the British version is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better. If they continue with the original stuff, this just might become a regular one for me.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Today's was quite good... I enjoyed Patrick's car 'problems'... and Jeff had several good lines... I've only seen this episode and the pilot. This was way better than the pilot... Im still waiting to hear Jeff inadvertently bring up his mother... and Steve break out into one of his rants :p)

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
I really liked tonights episode. I thought to my self that the British version must really be funny. I gotta find out when it's on and watch.

I didn't know Thur's was an original. It was great. Patrick's car "problems" was really funny. "I've got a small penis car. My car's a liar"

I was really rolling during Susan's (I think its her) dirty talk.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
This one I dont remember from the British version, must have missed it. (And my DVD collection is in a box).

The episode that could save the series is I believe called "Inferno". The speech at dinner was masterful.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Bob: The latest one was original, not a remake of the UK ones...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks