What's new

One of the first Home Video prints of West Side Story (1 Viewer)

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Another test:

Okay, that worked for me. What I did was highlight the resolved link, and click the 'Unlink' button on the message board taskbar, which removed any native formatting during the copy/paste.

When previewed in the Advance Editor, the board application appears to be resolving the link 'on its own terms' and embedding the video correctly.

With this workaround, you do not necessarily have to use the Advanced Editor, just remember to 'Unlink' the URL before you post.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The idea, Steve, is to simply be pasting the text of the URL to achieve the desired results. No link.

That's how it's supposed to work.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Mike Frezon said:
The idea, Steve, is to simply be pasting the text of the URL to achieve the desired results. No link.

That's how it's supposed to work.
Right Mike. But I just tried a 100% ASCII paste of the URL from Notepad and the message board software still automatically resolved the link (underlined it in blue) but displayed it in text form in both the posting and preview windows. I still had to highlight the URL and click 'Unlink' to remove all formatting before the message board software would embed the player widget correctly:

No other posting options seem to work for me...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Huh. I can't explain that.

Here's the response I just got from the board hosts via Adam:
This is because when you copy the URL in that browser specifically, it is automatically linked. So, when you paste it, the editor assumes you are intentionally trying to link to it, rather than embed it. Unfortunately, this is an issue with the browser itself, rather than the IP.Board software.

To workaround it, you can click the "Special BBCode" menu in the editor, and select Media, and paste the URL in there, which will embed it.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
bob kaplan said:
Ok.....we have this thread already pretty well diverted.....so....
I used to order from a place called Starship Enterprises...I was such an avid addict, they gave my name to ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY.....and WEEKLY actually came up to up state NY and did an interview with me!!!....and pics too!...I was soooo impressed with myself...when the article appeared there was a quote or two from me...and a 1/2 page pic....but you could only see my eye peering through the whole in the center of an LD with my fingers supporting the disc....but that was exciting for a guy from upstate NY....I still must have 8 copies.... :) . Really miss the large amount of info on the back of the disc.....I still have all my DISNEY (always bought the CAV and CLV versions) stuff. The Art work was just too nice to sell or trash. They were wonderfully packaged (and expensive) and often included books and FANTASIA even included the program booklet from the premier...or something like that....Those were the days my friend..... :D
It was called StarShip audio. It was just outside D.C. The Web site is still up. But was last updated in 1998!!!

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Everett Stallings said:
It was called StarShip audio. It was just outside D.C. The Web site is still up. But was last updated in 1998!!!
Maybe they're trying to tell us something. Can we get a mulligan for the past 16 years? The home theatre savings alone would be astounding.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
I had several different demo discs....they were "interesting" sell techniques....i was sold....but the most interesting LV's were the Sears catalog (SUMMER 1981)and MANY ROADS TO MURDER LVs They almost lived up to the hype of the demo discs: motion sequences demonstrated some items, duel sound tracks employed and you could step through pages of products or information....actually kind of neat...and I think the Catalog was only made one year. Darn thing eventually rotted though it always did start to play; but it would freeze at points.....I think I still have it and the MURDER disc....but haven't tried hem or a machine (stored away) for years. Come to think about wasn't there something call the OPTICAL PROGRAM ASSOCIATES hoping to come up with more interactive stuff?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I really like the demo Laserdiscs in my collection. Pioneer's "Laser Optics II: The Future of Home Entertainment" was one I bought from a retailer in 1992 just after I got my first player (an entry-level Sony), and it makes for a pretty nifty snapshot of the state of home theatre in 1989. But 1990's "MGM/UA Home Video Laserdisc Sampler" and 1992's "Paramount Pictures Promotional Sampler Laserdisc" are my favorites, and they remain great fun to show guests who wonder what that massive Pioneer Laserdisc player is doing connected to my home theatre system. The one-sided MGM/UA disc crams 60 clips onto one CLV side, along with a brief explanation of Laserdisc's capabilities, while the double-sided CLV Paramount disc has 89 clips in 109 minutes, including some examples of widescreen and pan-and-scan versions of the same title (remember double inventories?). Can I start a forum dispute about which is proper: "Sampler Laserdisc" or "Laserdisc Sampler"?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Sears catalog? Yep, I've got that too!

BTW I'm REALLY sick of people putting up pictures and videos of their laserdisc players on a widescreen TV in stretch mode- they might as well be saying "Look at me, I'm an idiot!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks