What's new

One of the best things you can do now? Live your lives! (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The goal of any enemy is to take away from those they attack. To dishearten and demoralize. The best thing you can...above and beyond blood and cash donations...flying your flag...is to live your life!!!!
No sports on TV this weekend? Go out to lunch with your kids...have a cookout...go to a park or reserve. Go shop...ride your bikes...BE OUTSIDE!!!!!!
Breath the air deeply....and be thankful you and your loved ones are here! It is always thought that the last wish of those who pass on is for their survivor's to carry on...live their lives. Not to say the tragedy leaves our collective thoughts...the sadness remains...but we should be outside...not hiding...not stuck in our living rooms.
This weekend...take some time...doing things with those closest to you. Have a neighbor over for a beer...sit in the sun! Go shopping...visit a museum...play music REALLY loud... embrace the fact that you and I breathe...that this is the GREATEST nation in the world...and reclaim your country, your dreams, your life!
------------------
"The ScootPlex2000 is the ONLY theater I screen films for review in!"
David Manning-Critic

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I had a discussion about this very issue with my employer yesterday. I was talking about how I'm still very much in shock and finding it difficult to concentrate on anything, to get anything done. He made the infantile statement "Well, that means the terrorists have won. They've beaten you."
That is, of course, complete nonsense. I'm not going to live the rest of my life looking at my shoes and moping, or running for cover every time I see a jet contrail across the sky. Nor am I going to avoid my beloved New York City or Washington DC, both of them areas where I've lived. But we go through the stages of grief at different speeds, and the more sensitive ones aren't ready to have cookouts and picnics yet. I have a very deep personal connection with the affected areas, and a very deep wound in my soul. I can't just force that to heal itself.
By all means, if you are ready to go outside and breathe the clean air, do it. And please, gather your family and friends around and love them and pray. Go to church or temple and have fellowship. And go out and shop a little; put some money into the economy. But don't be like my boss: don't belittle those of us who just aren't ready yet. We'll see you next weekend.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
In all of these discussions, the answer is very simple. No one can tell you how to react to this situation (as long as you do things within the law, of course). As Andrew said, people are going to handle this tragedy differently. We need to do what we are comfortable with, not what others think we should do. If being outside and having a picnic does not feel appropriate, then stay home with family, your significant other, or friends. Do what you need to do to best cope with this terrible tragedy. Importantly, however, is if you are having trouble dealing with this tragedy, please surround yourself with people who care about you and talk things out.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Without a doubt, I have first hand experience in people wanting you to move on before you are ready. I experienced that with the passing of my wife Reasa in 1990. I am not suggesting those with direct connections to the missing or deceased or whose heart was wounded deeply by the tragedies of tuesday to force themselves. My advice was to those of us who, while impacted, are not as profoundly affected as others.
So please do not take my suggestion...my encouragement as an order or callous. Never meant to be that. I simply want to see us reclaim what was stolen in those awful hours on Sept. 11th.
------------------
David Manning-Critic
[Edited last by Scooter on September 14, 2001 at 07:55 AM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Tonight I will be going out to a bar and will be drinking (alot) in memorium of my fallen brothers and sisters.
I must admit that it is hard to motivate myself to do much of anything (including work), but I'm going to try.
Moving on does not mean forgetting.
------------------
ribbon.jpg
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Scooter, my sentiments exactly my friend!!
It's funny, but yesterday, the 14th, I was in the best mood i've been in all week. I went out shopping with my mom and everywhere we went we saw American flags waving proudly! It really made me feel good I have to tell you! I, like most of us have been followng this whole thing on the news and in the papers, and I have never had more sense that our government was on top of things like I do right now.
Me and my mom honored those lost last night with a candlelight vigil outside our house. I am very saddened by what has happend to us as a nation these past few days, but besides sadness, i'm feeling something else too, safe, and secure. Our president is all over this like flies on shit. These terrorist fucks failed at their mission to destroy our spirit, we are emerging from this strong and proud, and ready to give those evil bastards what they deserve! And seeing all those American flags everywhere you go, what a sight, and what a feeling!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!
------------------
"How can I heal, when I can't feel time?"
Leonard from Memento
[Edited last by John Williamson on September 15, 2001 at 06:37 AM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
You know, it's funny. In the middle of the afternoon yesterday something changed in me a bit. I was suddenly able to do my job again, and to smile and joke a little. This morning, I feel totally different; I'm ready to take on the world. So I think I'll go shopping. I need new headphones, and I should get a couple DVDs, don't you think?
Thanks, Scooter.
Oh, and another interesting point. When people are talking to me about DVD they call me "Ange," but when terrorists attack I become "Andrew." Fascinating.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Here is something else you can do...something that is being asked of America.
INVEST!!!!! There is a call for Us to buy into wall street on monday! Even if it's only $25.00...buy a share of some stock you find appealing or even hobbie related. Not having experience in trading online...I wonder if perhaps those of us with ameritrade or other such services could be buying things now.
It need not be a thousand shares of whatever....just a sign...a gesture to show that they did not crumble our economy nor the center of our wealth.
------------------
David Manning-Critic

Bob_Mandel

Stunt Coordinator
I agree Scooter. I was invited by Home Vision to attend a Dinner and a Movie on the 11th, that was cancelled and rescheduled on the 12th. The 11th was my fiancee Kathy's birthday, so needless to say this was difficult. Worse, it was her father's birthday too, and he just died on July 3rd. I said in Bill's post I wasn't affected--not in the respect of losing someone close and dear to me--but I have been profoundly affected, as most have been. We really did not want to go, but went reluctantly anyway. I wrote this to place my thoughts in perspective...
Awake Ye Sleeping Giants.
Life MUST go on!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
The first few days after the attack I could not shake the image of the plane smashing into WTC from my mind. The only thing that helped take my mind off of it was actually keeping my mind busy at work. I would then come home(to the hotel)at the end of the day, turn on the TV and it would start all over again.
When I was around 9 years old I was handed an atlas that I could hardly lift. While other kids were playing tag or GI Joe I was there reading my atlas. Sending letters to embassies around the world hoping for information to write a report. I remember being 10 years old and writing a report on the United States of America...not for class but for my own knowledge.
I would stare at the twin towers in pictures and admire those buildings. It wasn't my countries CN Tower that held me in awe, it wasn't any other building in the world. Just them twin towers.
I feel for all of the people in New York, Washington and on those planes. But I also feel for all of us in this forum and the Western world. Just like they have been saying, WE HAVE entered a new era. And it won't be pretty.
This was put in the wrong thread I'm sure. I haven't said anything about the attack before on HTF and I don't think I'll say much about it on this forum again. I just had to say how I felt.
------------------

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I ran across an article at ESPN.com concerning the downed flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania. It brought a smile to my face and made me realize that life should go on. Mind you, I'll always remember 9/11/01 and the terror of the day but perhaps there is something to glean out of this, after all.
Here's the link and here's to healing from this painful event.
http://espn.go.com/columns/wojnarowski/1251966.html
------------------
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks