What's new

One MacBook Pro to rule them all! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For decades I have always felt the need to own a desktop -AND- a laptop. For that reason, I currently own a 2014 i7 4k iMac and last year's 2017 15" Touchbar MacBook Pro.

However, as I near retirement I just don't feel like plopping down money for two devices.

These days, I use my laptop (MacBook Pro) more than my iMac. It's just convenient to sit in front of the television with a laptop in my lap.

My iMac? Heck, I don't even use it as an iMac. It's hooked up to a 54" 4k LCD television. So, I turn on the iMac and use the 54" display with a keyboard.

Then it dawned on me....

Stop buying desktops. Buy the best MacBook Pro you can and get a Hengedock (or similar) where you can simply plug in your laptop into a dock which then turns it into a desktop on the 54" display

I don't game on the Mac. I don't need desktop power.

The only purchase I am looking to make this year is the ultimate MacBook Pro if they release one with 32GB memory capacity. Yes, it will only be a mobile processor, but for what I use it for -- mainly browsing and Photoshop work -- I don't need a top-end i7 processing chip.

So, sell my iMac, buy a new MacBook Pro this year. Use the MacBook Pro as a laptop and then plug it into a dock to use on my desk.

What do you guys think?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron, I made this switch about 8 months ago and don't regret it for one second. Went from a big i7 powered home-built PC to a maxed-out 15" 2017 MacBook Pro, OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, and 27" LG 5K display. Couldn't be happier.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, I made this switch about 8 months ago and don't regret it for one second. Went from a big i7 powered home-built PC to a maxed-out 15" 2017 MacBook Pro, OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, and 27" LG 5K display. Couldn't be happier.

Great!!! I needed to hear that.

I am on the road right now so I can't look at the OWC dock.

Will it do a direct connection from dock to HDMI for the 54" television?

If not what additional cables or adapters do I need? We both own the same MacBook Pro. I believe it is the one with TouchBar

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep, my MacBookPro is the 15" Touchbar model: 3.1 GHz i7/16GB/1TB. The OWC dock has no native HDMI out, so you'd need a Mini DisplayPort (dock side) to HDMI (TV side) cable/adapter. Here's a link to the the dock:

https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-3-dock

There seem to be a lot of negative reviews on Amazon for this model, but we have two at home and two of my upper management staff at work have them. Zero problems.

Last edited:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The OWC dock has horrible reviews. On Amazon there are may complaints about a coil defect in the unit and the dock crapping out after a few short weeks. Lots of complaints.

However, CalDigit has a similar dock and I have used their docks before with much success so I will go with that one.

I think I already have a mini display adapter to HDMI as that is how my iMac is currently hooked up.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Doug,

Question...

You can do this docking with the MacBook Pro lid completely closed and it will still function?

I don't want the MacBook in the way.

I will hook up a keyboard and trackpad to the dock.

I bought a display port to HDMI cable, but people are saying it only does 30Hz instead of 60Hz. I guess that is not a huge big deal. I assume I will still get great 4k on the 54" display?

Thanks for all your help

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron, I know several people who are doing this. Thunderbolt really makes it possible without any drawbacks, and as you know, 4K TVs finally make a realistic option to computer monitors. If you aren't doing video processing, you probably don't gain anything from the hyperthreading in the i7. Last I checked, it has zero benefit with PhotoShop. The one downside, even though it doesn't sound like there was any hardware announced at WWCD, from what I've read, 32GB is still a little iffy. I think that would be a mistake.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ron - Yes, the MacBook Pro works with the lid completely closed. It's called Clamshell Mode:

IMG_4072.JPG

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So, sell my iMac, buy a new MacBook Pro this year. Use the MacBook Pro as a laptop and then plug it into a dock to use on my desk.

What do you guys think?
Yes. Undoubtedly. I'm honestly surprised you've waited so long to do this. This is standard for most office professionals. I was doing this seven years ago at my prior job: laptop with dual-monitor docking station. You only need a separate desktop if you really need that extra computational power.

The other approach that I take, is iMac and iPad. But I'm not running a small business from my couch, so for you it's probably not the right choice. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, did it!

I ordered the CalDigit TS3+ for $299
Also ordered a Display Port to HDMI Adapter $12
Ordered a Vogek vertical stand for $24. Was going to go with the Twelve South stand but that costs twice as much.

Thanks so much for your help. Now I can put all my money into the next best Macbook Pro and not have to worry about an iMac anymore!

Thanks Doug!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes. Undoubtedly. I'm honestly surprised you've waited so long to do this. This is standard for most office professionals. I was doing this seven years ago at my prior job: laptop with dual-monitor docking station. You only need a separate desktop if you really need that extra computational power.

The other approach that I take, is iMac and iPad. But I'm not running a small business from my couch, so for you it's probably not the right choice. :)

It takes me awhile to catch on sometimes, Dave.

Know what made me think of it?

I just got a car loan with a local credit union. I was sitting in the woman's office and watched her run her desktop computer off of her Dell laptop. The laptop was sitting in some sort of cradle.

It immediately struck me that I don't need to pay for two computers anymore.

The iPad, though I own a Pro, is not an option. Posting press releases and such with an iPad is very difficult, especially with the formatting.

Thanks for chiming in, Dave!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hear you on the iPad. It remains more difficult than it should be seemingly basic text entry functions. I have such high hopes for the iPad. But Apple is taking a really long time to make it a "professional" machine. Even for me, as an avid iPad owner and laptop eschewed, there are a couple of things that the iPad just can't do that i wish it could. But not enough to be worth spending an extra $2000 for a laptop.

In any case, having a single machine should make life just simpler: you don't have two machines to keep synchronized in their software and personal preferences. I hope this is a win-win for you!

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Okay, did it!

I ordered the CalDigit TS3+ for $299
Also ordered a Display Port to HDMI Adapter $12
Ordered a Vogek vertical stand for $24. Was going to go with the Twelve South stand but that costs twice as much.

Thanks so much for your help. Now I can put all my money into the next best Macbook Pro and not have to worry about an iMac anymore!

Thanks Doug!

Awesome Ron! I hope you love your new setup. Keep us posted!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Will do.

Even decided to splurge and get the Twelve South Macbook Arc. This despite reviews saying the new generation of this item is pale in quality compared to the original.

Getting $880 for my old 2014 27" iMac from an online purchaser. Will put that towards a new MacBook when announced

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glad you made the plunge to a single machine. I think you will like it. I have to admit I also am surprised you hadn't done this previously. I can imagine seeing you in the credit union when the light bulb went off over your head, watching the loan officer use a laptop for a desktop.

I hope the Arc works for you. I am still looking for a dock that I don't have to manually plug all the peripherals in at my desk. I miss the Bookendz dock I use to use on my older MacBooks. For me, it worked great to just lay it down and push the ends together to have all plugged in.

I like the look of the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, but I think you made the wise choice in getting the Caldigit TS3+, that looks like a nice option.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rodney,

Hengedock is the answer for you...I think.

I wanted to get it, but here's the problem (at least for me)....

A version for the newest 2017 Retina MacBook Pro is being released in June. That's almost a year after the release of the laptop itself.

Apple may very well announce a new 2018 refresh. It will take Hengedock another year to come out with a compatible version.

That's why I could not invest in their product.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
IMG_0481.jpg
(Click on photo for larger image)

Hey guys!

Just wanted to come back to this thread and thank all of you.

Can't begin to tell you how happy I am with my new setup. It was a bit expensive but well worth it. as you can see in the above photo.

Caldigit TS3 Plus dock. Digital Display to HDMI adapter (active). Twelve South Macbook Arc holder.

Setup went very well. My 4k television easily picked up the signal from my laptop. Using external keyboard and trackpad.

Thanks so much for the help and getting me to this point.

Getting about $880 for my 2014 4k Retina iMac that I can now retire. Not too bad.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
With that setup, how do you staple papers? :)

All kidding aside, congrats on the new setup and let us know after you used it awhile if it meets 100% of your needs or if there are some things you miss from the old setup. I doubt there will be any, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks