What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Whoa, I thought The Last Movie Star would be Burt's last one for sure. I hope he's still got it in him.
Burt probably won't have a lot of heavy lifting to do in terms of acting in this movie because George Spahn was probably about 80 and nearly blind when the Manson family lived at his movie ranch. He might get to make out with some hippie chicks that are a quarter his age though.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know Quentin Tarantino is a huge Burt Reynolds fan(he has said so in interviews), and I always wondered why he didn't use him in the 90's. Nothing against Robert Forster in Jackie Brown, But I always imagined Burt Reynolds in that role.
It was stilla great film, but that would have elevated it even more I think.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The release date in August 2019 is interesting, because the more terrific this cast becomes, the more it seems like a year-end awards season run would be in order.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The release date in August 2019 is interesting, because the more terrific this cast becomes, the more it seems like a year-end awards season run would be in order.

As I understand it, they want to release it on the 50th anniversary of the Manson murders, hence the August release.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As I understand it, they want to release it on the 50th anniversary of the Manson murders, hence the August release.

Detroit wanted to do the same thing last year in tying its release to the anniversary of the event, which was in July. It bombed with $16 million and didn't receive any awards attention. While I understand the appeal of tying it in with the anniversary, sometimes it's better not to do that. Of course, this film with QT and a super-starry cast involved will probably do better than Detroit did...but we'll see how this goes.

And, Deadline says Timothy Olyphant is joining the cast:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/timothy...ino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1202388439/

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Even for Tarantino, this is a great cast.

Yeah. Obviously, I don't know if there's a role for him, but it would be fun if Tarantino got Walton Goggins, who of course was in The Hateful Eight, to come play with Olyphant again. They were so fantastic opposite each other in Justified.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Detroit wanted to do the same thing last year in tying its release to the anniversary of the event, which was in July. It bombed with $16 million and didn't receive any awards attention. While I understand the appeal of tying it in with the anniversary, sometimes it's better not to do that. Of course, this film with QT and a super-starry cast involved will probably do better than Detroit did...but we'll see how this goes.

And, Deadline says Timothy Olyphant is joining the cast:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/timothy...ino-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-1202388439/

DETROIT was reportedly a real downer, directed by someone with a fraction of QT's boxoffice appeal despite her Oscar wins, and with a cast of performers whom I don't remember and were probably largely unknowns. Tarantino's films may deal with grim subject matter, but they're never downers (except, maybe, for DEATH PROOF) and they have memorable casts. And I'm not sure how preoccupied he is with awards attention, if at all. Of course, he may not get the film done in a year's time, but that's another story...

Bigelow wanted to make a serious film with actors, not stars, and release it on an anniversary of an event that few in the audience even remembered during a month where audiences aren't clamoring for serious films. Laudable ambitions, but poor commercial sense. The distributor should have talked sense to her.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The distributor should have talked sense to her.

The distributor, Annapurna, was new, making its first release as an independent company with Detroit. I think it was a great movie, but would have been better served if it had bowed during awards season. John Boyega was in it, and Star Wars makes him a recognizable face to millions of people, but apparently they didn't want to come out for him in this.

QT will undoubtedly have better luck with this, but what I meant to express is that releasing something in a certain spot solely because of a tie-in to an anniversary is not always a solid marketing choice. A lot will depend on how Sony markets the film. But it certainly is off to a good start with this cast.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Can someone change the thread title? The film has a title now, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Tarantino can get anyone he wants to be in this movie. There are going to be several Oscar-winning/nominated actors as mere extras in this film. They even scored Daniel Craig in a Stormtrooper-costume.

At this point, it doesn't even feel like hyperbole justifies how stacked this cast is. Good God. Now throw in some Walton Goggins, or if it please the gods, find some room (however small) for my man Tom Cruise, and I will die happily on the spot. How about Jack Nicholson and Gene Hackman out of retirement, and a Brando-hologram just so more minds get blown?

If that happens, Quentin should just change the title of this thing to "PERFECTION: NO MORE MOVIES NEEDED."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks