What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

OMG! Werewolf: The Series (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by supes78
I'm sure this was a learning experience for them too since they lost a ton of money producing the extras paying the actors and crew for their time. Such a shame.
SF will not go bankrupt, or even close to bankruptcy over something like that.

P.S. Mike and the Mechanics are officially the greediest musicians to come out of the of the 1980's

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

P.S. Mike and the Mechanics are officially the greediest musicians to come out of the of the 1980's
You may be 100% correct but to suddenly make the leap from "If I had to guess..." and "I honestly know very little about the band..." to one post later and you're saying that they are "the greediest musicians to come out of the of the 1980's". Taking something from a guess to a fact is ridiculous and has a flimsy basis at best.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

If I had to guess, I'd say that one of the artists that said no to SF was Mike and the Mechanics (the song in question was "Silent Running"). I honestly know very little about the band, and the aforementioned song that was used on the 2-hour pilot for the series.
"Guessing", without hard facts, is probably not a good idea!

Still, this information SHOULD be revealed by a party in the know.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

"Guessing", without hard facts, is probably not a good idea!

Still, this information SHOULD be revealed by a party in the know.

Why? So fans can hound the artists to the point they WON'T give in and licence the use?

Rick P

Supporting Actor
Two thoughts come to mine here...

FIrst, I've seen (heard) some pretty amazing work where vocal tracks can be extracted from musical backgrounds.

Second, there are some talented voice artists out there that could possibly 'recreate' the dialog in the affected scenes.

Now, granted, it this is something that runs thru every (most) episode then it would be impractical. But one, maybe 2 scenes? Expensive, probably, more expensive than scrapping the project totally? Don't know. Yes, it would mean repressing a disc, but still...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Since it killed the entire release, I assume maybe it's one or more of the composers who created the score for the series that are holding out? Maybe they thought they were underpaid for the original run?

It has to be related to music that runs through many of the episodes, rather than just a song or two since, as noted by myself and others here, they could reasonably re-create the dialogue for a couple of scenes with new music, if that's the whole issue. But since they killed the whole project, it leads me to think it must be related to music that permeates the entire series.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Why all this criticism of the studio? Business ventures are announced all the time and then situations arise that change that.

But they probably did the right thing by canceling. Because every time a show is released with changes, people go bananas. If they drop it cause they don't want to change it, people go bananas. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
But it does kind of make this release a perfect case study for music rights on DVD. I mean, who benefited from this:

Customers? No.
Shout Factory? No (in fact they probably lost money).
Sony? No (in fact, it might cause them to question if its even worth the trouble to license shows)
Music rights owners? No x 2. No they didn't get whatever the studio offered. And 2nd, their music didn't get more exposure.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Music rights owners? No x 2. No they didn't get whatever the studio offered. And 2nd, their music didn't get more exposure.
Don't forget about the artists/publishers that did allow for their music to be used. Now they get nothing as well (or at least no extra exposure)

cliff mac

Insider
Thank you very much for your post, David. That is exactly the situation. Damned if we do, Damned if we don't.
There was no way we were going to cut the show in order to release it.

Many people continue to say "why did you announce it when it wasn't cleared?".... because it looked like there was no issues when we reviewed the artists and publishers. We also just cleared "thirtysomething", the show that couldn't be cleared due to the amount of songs, so there was no indication that this show would be a problem.

Without the audio tracks we couldn't replace the music.... and we were not going to go into a studio and re-record the dialogue, the cost of doing that correctly would be too expensive.

So, for us, the only option was to cancel the show. We didn't like this option. We spent money on the show that we will never be able to recoup.

I'm sorry this is so disappointing to the fans. That was never our intention. We didn't want to put out an inferior product.

Cliff MacMillan
Shout Factory

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
This is very disappointing. I was so hoping to see this show again. But as pissed as I am about this I can still understand why such things happen. But Cliff... Thank You for trying. And more importantly (at least to me) Thank you for coming here and saying something for us.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm a little surprised that with today's computer technology, the existing sound elements could not somehow be digitally processed, separating the dialogue from the music so that the offending music could be replaced and the existing dialogue reused.

Then again, maybe I watch too may crime shows where they seem to perform miracles in the computer with the worst quality recordings and end up solving the crime.

David Levine

Supporting Actor
I'm going with that. Its like the "technology" that lets them take a tiny, fuzzy, partially obscured frame from a security camera and blow it up, enhance all the details and extrapolate the missing pieces to get a perfect image of the perp.

Originally Posted by Malcolm R /forum/thread/287551/omg-werewolf-the-series/60#post_3607299
/forum/thread/287551/omg-werewolf-the-series/60#post_3607299

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
In any event, Shout Factory has yet to officially announce the project's cancellation, so I'm hopeful that Shout can still salvage this somehow.

Why not employ the original actors for an afternoon to ADR the dialogue (or use sound-alikes).

Or go the Alien 3 route and use subtitles for that scene.

Either route would be a lot cheaper than paying greedy copyright holders (note that a lot of bands don't hold copyright on their own material anymore, or only partial copyright, so the bands/artists may not be the problem here).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks