What's new
World Wide Stereo

OK- It's Been 4 Weeks- PSB Subsonic 6i vs SVS 25-31 PC Plus (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

James Edward

Supporting Actor

No, Martin, I don't. I will continue to hold my head up, and believe that PSB has made a great sub at it's price point. TN's measurements seem to bear this out. And, no less importantly, my ears do too.

At the risk of throwing more fuel on the fire, about 3 years ago I replaced an Hsu VTF-2 with an SVS 20-39PC, and had similar results- I did feel that the SVS would play louder, and lower, but did not sound better, and certainly lacked the impact I felt from the VTF-2 on demo DVD material. That is why I eventually purchased the
25-31PC Plus- I figured that the higher tuning point would give me back the transient impact I got from the VTF-2. It did not happen.

Well... The PSB Subsonic 6i has done just that, and sounds better too. Perhaps box subs sound better in my room?

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Mannnnnn, insulting SVS here, is like insulting a close memeber of the family, this is just the wrong place to do it. Good luck, with your subs.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
How is that insulting? A preference was stated, nothing more.

I compared my VTF-2 to the PB-10, and I have to say, there are things I preferred about the VTF-2. I did sell the VTF-2 and kept the PB-10, but it was a tough choice. I got the VTF-2 to bottom out a few times (max extension mode) and the PB-10 has not done that at even louder levels. If you compared it to boxing, I'd say this one would end up being decided by the judges, because both would be standing at the end of the match.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
John,

Exactly right. Stating you prefer some other brand to SVS is hardly an insult. We have long held (and still do) that there are lots of choices out there. We certainly feel our products are the best but that doesn't mean selecting some other one, or liking some other sound is some sort of insult. It's a big world out there.

If we didn't test and develop every model with the knowlege WE think it's the best, it'd be pretty hard to pull the hours we do, but James saying he likes the sound of a PSB an insult? We'd have gone out of business long ago if we had skin that thin ;^)

Ron

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
Ya, I think this all got out of hand when someone said, "numbers don't matter, the only thing it matters is how it sounds to you." That's Bose talk right there, and that's what got everyone excited.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

Very glad to hear this John, I own an STF-2 and have been happy with it and still think it was a great deal (I paid $350), but I have to admit when SVS announced the PB-10 (about 4 mounths after I bought the STF-2) I was kind of kicking myself for not waiting and getting that instead. Anyway it’s good to know that the VTF-2 (basically the same as the STF-2) is very similar to the PB-10, I would expect the PB-10 to get a bit louder and go lower than the VTF-2, but it’s nice to know that it does not completely dominate it, and that makes me feel better about owning my STF-2.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
PSB makes great speakers. I remember the Subsonic 3 and 3i performed much better than other commercial subs at the same price or just a bit higher.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I am the guy who said that numbers do not matter. I was just trying to echo what other people were saying in that other thread. Sorry if I got this all out of hand. It was not my intention. Let me try this example. I was basically choosing between 3 subs when I was looking for mine. They were the Dynaudio Contour, Martin Logan Descent, and JM labs SW900. The Descent had much better specs. It was rated to play lower and louder. It had a servo amp. It was rated to displace more air. All of these measurements were better than the SW900. When I heard the Martin Logan I though it sounded good. Maybe a little fuzzy but still better than what I had. I was also listening to the Dynaudio. That was a kick but sub. Its numbers were listed as way better than the SW900. But in the end I got the SW900. Why? Because I liked the sound of it. I could not justify the extra money I would be spending on the other subs. So I bought the sub that on paper had the worst specs of the three I was looking at. But you know what; it does what I need it to do.

Again, I did not mean to get everyone excited.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. I just wanted to get my point across. But when some one comments on a quote of mine, it is my obligation to adress it.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Andrus,

Right, "whatever".

We have never passed on used subwoofers as new. Never. Not once. It's illegal in this country. Typically a return, even if was just opened and never used is still sold as "B-Stock".

PS Making baseless statements which can be damaging to a company is called libel, and it's also illegal in this country.

Ron

David Keith

Stunt Coordinator
I would stake my life on the line that SVS NEVER EVER EVER sold a returned sub as new. And they could easily do it if they wanted, but that is RIDICULOUS to accuse them of that. That statement would be grounds for me to boot you from this board, if it were mine. If you don't like their subs, don't buy them, but to accuse them of selling used stock as new is just making yourself look like an idiot !
Plain and simple !

Andrus_R

Stunt Coordinator
[q]Right, "whatever".

We have never passed on used subwoofers as new. Never. Not once. It's illegal in this country. Typically a return, even if was just opened and never used is still sold as "B-Stock".

PS Making baseless statements which can be damaging to a company is called libel, and it's also illegal in this country.

Ron
[/q}
Laff.

Well , umm so did Tom stop theatening people that he'll kick down doors of people who bad mouth SVS on internet?

Ned

Supporting Actor
How about whenever Andrus posts in the future, that his 2 remarks are added in quotes at the bottom. Then everyone has a reference to what a troll/idiot he is. Personally, I would remove you from the board right now. You pushed the limits with your first comment and blew past them on the second.

On another note, why are you linking to that site?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks