What's new
World Wide Stereo

OK- It's Been 4 Weeks- PSB Subsonic 6i vs SVS 25-31 PC Plus (1 Viewer)

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ilkka ... This thread was started because James Edwards wanted to post his thoughts on the PSB subwoofer. YOU decided to try to use TN's review to tear his post down.

1. You managed to leave out the part where James already owned the SVS, and preferred the PSB. It is the norm for people to like the product already in one's possession.

2. You then used TN's review to try to discredit what James discovered.

3. You also stated the reason James was preferring the PSB was because it rolled off below 30 Hz. YET, when James measured a strong response to 25 Hz, you said it was room gain, even though it was the same room the SVS was in.

Now you want to go back to "Some people just don't like the SVS's ... people have just poisoning their ears with the wrong kind of sound for too long" comment...

This is where your logic is lost. James OWNS the SVS ... and the SVS was IN the SAME room. Did IT poison his ears then ?

It was YOUR words that the PSB was not a "real" subwoofer.

As a guy who has owned a total of eight SVS subwoofers, I read James Edward's initial post in this thread, and though "hey, another GOOD subwoofer in the $600 range... cool"

You read it and, along with a few other guys here, decided to deride James and his findings.

Relish in that if you wish.

I find what he did to be laudible...

728x90

Nigel Hooper

Stunt Coordinator

That's a ludicrous argument and one I've seen before. Many companies make accurate, clean and deep performing subwoofers it's is far from the territory of just SVS. He's owned both the PSB and the SVS and he prefers the PSB. I might suggest you listen to some other company's products before you deride people for preferring another brand. Try a Servo 15 or a Velodyne to help improve your frame of reference of course it may take a while for you to get the SVS sound out of your head. Leave the guy alone. He prefers one brand and you another and it really makes no sense in every non SVS thread to have folks like you criticizing someone's tastes and decision. It doesn't reflect well on you and indirectly the company. Live and let live.

Greg Kolinski

Second Unit
DAMN!!!
Poor guy posts that he got a new sub,and likes it.......
somehow turns into a 7 page train wreck!
Glad you like your new sub,new "toys" are great fun.
I got a Parts Express 15 in Titanic sub kit towards the end of summer,really like it.The way this thread turned is exactly why I never post/ask questions about it....just dont feel like being attacked by a group of rabid Fanboys,telling me what a "POS" I bought and how I could have done sooo much better.

Enjoy your new sub James.

"

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Greg ... The engineer who designed the driver for your subwoofer also designs a lot of the drivers my brother uses in his pro-audio loudspeakers... You could say the man is a genius... and your subwoofer is a bargain for a high output, sealed design...

Mike Holland

Auditioning
Is there a way to stop getting email notices on this thread alone. I still want to receive them for others, just had enough of this one. Beyond brand loyalty.... Sounds like some people own stock in the company.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Righto. Thanks again, Ed. And, of course, having the sub's level control set to max DOES NOT mean the sub's FR is being tested at "max volume". It's maxed out (10% THD)at each freqency for the THD graph.
Guys, this is a very entertaining thread...thanks!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Craig, use the ignore list with the "offender" it does wonders, I know it does for me.
Yes it's unfortunate that some fanboys can't see beyond their favorite brand and try to thrash everything in their way.I'm a big fan of SVS and always recommend it to friends,one of them just bought one last week,but it's nice to see that other brands are out there that can be considered,especially at this price range.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jack...

Edward measured a flat response on the STF-3 to about 22 Hz. Audioholics measured flat to 18 Hz. This was at a level about 10 dB lower than that which Edward used.

TN only managed 30 Hz ... with the same subwoofer ?

Add that to the fact he (TN) STATED he ran each subwoofer with volume set at maximum ... and I think each subwoofer was running at full volume.

Of course, the alternative is that BOTH Audioholics AND Edward J M are taking inaccurate measurements, and we should just toss their reviews out... and ONLY use TN from this point on.

And so we are clear, I understand the graphs show the Max outputs as shown are the max at each frequency @ no more than 10% THD.

So please answer this ... How was it that TN measured a 30 Hz low frequency extension for the STF-3/LFM-1 ?

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Since Mr. Gilvey is busy doing other things ... here are two well known facts about measuring a subwoofer (these rules apply from a low of 60 dB up to the max output of the unit in question):

1. The lower the SPL, the lower (in Hz) the frequency response curve will show.

2. Conversely, the closer one gets to the max output of the subwoofer, the higher the frequency will be for "cut off" ... or "F3".

Something to keep in mind. NOW... if anyone wants to actually think this through, take the items listed above, AND:

Apply it to Audioholics measuring flat to 18 Hz at 90 dB at one meter....

Now look at Edward's getting a flat to 22 Hz at higher levels.

Finally ... TN got 30 Hz flat.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator

I think among the rapid posting fan base of Svs its hard for some of them to hear any negative comparison. It always seems to turn into a that's impossible for you to like anything other than an Svs subwoofer argument. I really don't think its doing the brand and some of its fan base any justice when someone that has heard both brands is continually getting shot down in flames when he mentions his opposing view.

It seems especially on this forum, he's got an impossible task to justify choosing what they as an Svs owner consider an inferior product. Of course its not every owner who is so touchy on comparison's that dont agree with their opinion. This over the top defense by some owners really is IMO more of a turnoff than an attraction to the Svs brand which s a shame for all concerned.

PC

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Graig, it's wasn't me who started this FR conversation. Look closer and you'll find that it was Mike^S who said it first. I just backed him up, because I have read this same comment about "missing bottom octave=tight sound", actually from YOU, from your Rocket UFW-10 Subwoofer review when you compared it to SVS PB12-Plus/2 (PB2+ then). You said that cutting SVS higher made it sound tighter and you couldn't tell the difference between them (Rocket and SVS). Don't try to make me the bad guy.

I favor SVS but I don't bash other subwoofers, I just want to bring up what could cause that difference what he heard and I believe different FR was one main thing.

Mike^S

Stunt Coordinator
I only said that because that's the specs listed on PSB's website. Then I posted the link to TN's review and noted that it seemed to perform really well. I never said anything negative about either subwoofer.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Word has it TN does his FR sweeps at 85 dB (makes sense)........maybe we should e-mail him and confirm?

The only way test the assumption that the STF-3 and LFM-1 are sonic clones is to test them side-side. Craig - do you know any LFM-1 owners?

And the ad hoc in-room PSB FR sweep certainly makes sense; flat to 25 Hz, and 12 dB down at 20 Hz.

This was the whole point I was making earlier; the great 20 Hz THD performance turned in by this subwoofer will not be realized by the listener if the FR is -12 dB at 20 Hz relative to the 25 Hz level.

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

Nope. He must have had some speakers and maybe a sub before SVS. I don't think he is some 15 year old teenie buying his first setup. Then he bought SVS and didn't like it's sound, then back to different sound (bought PSB), maybe a littlebit more midbass and missing low-end and everything was fine again.

How many SVS owners or who have heard it have said they don't like it? Or reviewers? Are we all wrong and James magically heard something that we haven't heard? Or is it maybe James's taste that differs...?

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

Of course he's not. But if ratio is better than 10/100, it's still a very good ratio.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Nousaine sets his gear to average 85dB with the mic 2m from the subwoofer for in room FR sweeps.

He uses a DRA labs system...

http://www.mlssa.com/

He isn't going to have the same results as Keith Yates, Don Keele, Ed, me, or anyone else. Compare TN data to TN data...anything else...and you might as well be throwing darts...

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryH12
Recent bookmarks