What's new

Ok, admit it. Who tried The Matrix Online? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
I have to admit that even after Romier (who's opinion I would trust over just about anybody)told me too stay away, I jacked in to the Matrix Online anyways to see for myself.
Being such a huge Matrix fanboy and seeing some "ok" ratings on the game, I had to see for myself what the game was all about. Let me tell you that Romier was absolutely right about everything. The game itself is very unpolished and still in a beta state if you ask me, but has potential of being a pretty cool game. The one thing above all that kills the gameplay in this game is the CAMERA. It is unbelievable how they got this part of the game so wrong. The camera is very clunky and when you turn the camera around your character and stop, the camera keeps moving for another few feet before fully stopping, this becomes very annoying. The most important thing in just about any game is the camera, and they chose to do something different rather than follow a proven winner in this area. WoW is a good example of a good camera, hell I even love SWG's camera.
Other than that the gameplay is also very clunky and many glitches need to be worked out. I know that some of these glitches are to be expected with the laubch of any MMO. These games take on a whole new life when actually released to the public and put under the tests of thousands of users at once. Once these bug get worked out there is a potentially nice and different game underneath all of that.
The fighting system in the Matrix Online is pretty cool. Once you get into a confrontation with an NPC you get locked into combat with just that character alone. You then get to pick your moves just like any other MMO but in the Matrix Online the move you chose and the next move your apponent chose go into a dice roll to see which move will come out on top. If your move gets a higher rool then your character does his or her selected move in the Matrix style we have all come to know. I liked this part of the game quite a bit, although it needs some polishing your character actually looks like he or she is fighting the other person, and not just taking swipe in mid air and seeing a hit count flash above their heads. The Matrix Online has many of the same classes that you would expect to see in any MMO, such as healers, warriors, crafters etc. You have characters that can give viruses to others, buff people, and even create clones to help you fight or just plain fight for you. All of these actions are done through basic computer programming by your character inside the Matrix, I thought this was a pretty cool way to aproach these actions. The missions that I have done so far in the Matrix are your basic run here and run there type missions. Nothing new here except the way you take missions. You have a cell phone with you at all times that can be used to call a contact, and you accept missions over the phone. This is a nice feature as you dont have to run back to a city to gather new missions from a terminal or NPC. As you run around the city just about any building in the Matrix is available for you to enter and explore. (This might count for some of the lag and glitches that polute the game right now). I only played the Matrix Online for the first free month and then cancelled my account, but I plan on playing again after they fix some of the bugs and get a few things in order.
All in all the game has problems but there are bits and pieces of hope shinning through in the Matrix Online. I hope the developers realize what they have and try and fix it before the game really starts to suffer and loses players.

I have seen some patches recently that have fixed or are trying fix alot of the problems in the game, the camera being one of them. The overall problem of the camera moving beyond your mouse stop has not been fixed, but it has been addressed which is promising. At least the developers know what people dont like and are looking into a fix for it.

I would have to agree with the games ratings ive seen so far and maybe give it a low 7 as of right now. Even with all of the glitches that plague the game right now it has hints at some good things to come and has some nice elements that I have not seen implemented into an MMO before. The Matrix Online I dont think will ever get into the 9 area but after they work out everything I could see this game becoming a mid to strong 8.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
The game still run as terribly as it did in beta Jeff? The performance, even with all of the prettiness shut off was downright unacceptable.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Yeah it does, no matter what I did with the settings it still didnt look or act as good as I thought it should.

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review... there may be tons of reviews out there, but I always like to see stuff posted on forums that I frequent, I trust the honesty more... less fanboi type stuff typically... much appreciated.

Looks like I'll stick with my decision to let this one pass :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks