What's new

offset gaming screens on PS2 and DC. (1 Viewer)

TrevorJ

Auditioning
I was wondering if i have to get into the service mode and shift my screen for my games.Both systems exhibit the same thing.The left side of my screen while playing Vid games has a black space of about 2-3 ",but it is filled all the way to the right.
Do these game console fill a 55" projection screen.
My tv is Tosh 55hx70.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, some games on my Mitsubishi 36" Direct-View TV also does this... The only way i fix it is to adjust the screen, whcih is only an option in some games

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think its in the TV design. The games are at different sizes than the TV, so the display is offset. This happens to me in MANY games (if not all) for PSX, N64, DC, and PS2. Some games, like Marvel vs. Capcom for DC allow you to change the X and Y values so the view is centered and fills the whole screen (I think MvsC does).

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I don't find it worth worrying about. Like letterbox bars, I don't even notice it anymore...
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

TrevorJ

Auditioning
Yes i Have noticed in game interface value's are allowable on some titles.
I for one would like to have an option for turning off MOST of the HUD stuff when playing games.This would be a nice feature for game designers to seriously think about incorporating.Iknow a lot of titles allow it 50% maybe. For us serious dudes that have sunk hard earned peso's into our home theater enviro's and hdtv sets or of the such it would be nice to have.Nothing like ruining a brand new Big screen.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I have this problem with the Dreamcast on my Tosh40H80 and it's even a bit more annoying cause I have Grey bar, black bar, game, grey bar. It would be nice if the system itself had a default offset, but it looks like we have to depend on the game providing it.
Something I've noticed recently since getting a TV Tuner in my Comp is that the games are a different aspect ratio. Normal TV fills the entire frame while the games have black bars on both sides.
Is this something new? I never noticed anything like this with older systems.
------------------

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
My Mitsubishi TV is set for absolutely NO overscan, or at least shows the absolute most picture it's capable of showing- Right away I noticed Sega Genesis games all had a border around them (on an older TV I always got a line on the left side and the right-hand side of the game picture was cut off). Most Playstation games have a black border around the edges, but playing with one game that lets you move the picture around I see it is capable of showing picture on the entire screen. The Sega Saturn has some games that have picture to the very top and bottom, but have black space on the sides. I haven't played anything on the Atari 2600 in a while, but do remember there being something interesting when trying it on this TV.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I started getting this after adjusting my overscan down to 5% on my Mitsubishi. I get it for both the PS2 and DC. I have a thin black bar on the left side with no bar on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks