What's new

Official XBox 360 HD-DVD add-on Review Thread (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i tried out the monsters for a month before i got my HDDVD addon, and yeah, i have to say they made a difference on my set. i returned them because i was worried MS would announce HDMI (this was just before their online downloading was starting and just before my one month window for a hassle free return). i'd love to have seen what a difference it makes with HDDVDs, but it made a difference with games, trailers, even the menu system. i'll probably be getting them back as it doesn't look like HDMI's coming anytime soon, and i don't think SD DVD upconverting is as big a deal as i thought it was (the other reason i wanted HDMI).

Neal_C

Second Unit
So the Monster cables are worth the money huh? I usually boycott all things Monster but if its really significant, I might have to give them a try.

The 360 looks good in 1080p with the Microsoft cables on my Sharp Aquos. Can it really get better?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i'd say yes. and i'd never buy standard monster components as you really are paying alot for the name. but with the 360 you really have no choice. i'd say get them from best buy or another place with a hassle-free return policy and check it out. if you don't like 'em then return them.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
The only reason i am hesitant is because my HDDVD player looks significantly better than my cable which is hooked up through HDMI.

Neal,

How are you getting 1080p through component (my TV does accept 1080p through component)? I could only get it through VGA and it looked awful...

Joe

Neal_C

Second Unit
Joe,

I have a Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD that just happens to accept 1080p via component. This was actually a surprise to me, but a pleasant one. I got the HD-DVD add on, did the update, and then when I went to play the 360 the tv was saying 1080p.

Brent T

Second Unit

Would you mind posting a link to the Monsters you got. I looked on BB's site and I didnt see them. I would like to make sure I get the proper ones.

Thank you

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Neal,

You mean you used the update that came with the add on, or an update available online?

Joe

Neal_C

Second Unit
It doesn't look like Best Buy carries the Monster cables anymore. They have some called Psyclone and they want 70 bucks for it.

Circuit City shows them on their website: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Monst...oductDetail.do

Joe,

The tv started showing it was receiving 1080p after the update disc that was in the add on box. That update was designed to give the 360 the 1080p output ability.
Very few tv's will do 1080p through component. Like I said, I didn't know mine did it when I bought it but it does make me even more thrilled with my purchase.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
Neal,

The reason I am so intrigued is because my TV DOES support 1080p through component...

"Samsung HL-S5688W 56" 1080P High Definition DLP TV
56" Screen - 16:9 Aspect Ratio - DLP, HDTV1080p HDTV with built-in over-the-air HD tuner and CableCARD slot, tabletop rear-projection design with slim cabinet, widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, DLP light engine (1920 x 1080 pixels), dynamic iris for better contrast and black level, BrilliantColor video processing, 2 component video inputs (1080p-compatible), 2 HDMI inputs (1080p-compatible), 2 IEEE 1394 ports (1080p-compatible), PC input"

I can't figure out why I can't get the TV to say its 1080p...starting to get on my nerves a bit. Anyone have any ideas?

thanks

Joe

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I have the 360 HD-DVD add on connected via VGA to my Westinghouse W4207 42" LCD and I've got to say I'm very impressed with the quality of both the player and the display for the money. I wanted a relatively inexpensive, lightweight upgrade to my previous HT configuration (ISF cal panny 53WX42 RPTV, Panny RP82 DVD) that would be easy to move or liquidate without a huge depreciation hit. This combo delivers not only on that end, it also delivers great PQ. The LCD is simple, effective, has a ton of input options (HDMI, DVI, VGA, 2 component, S-Video, Composite) and it doesn't seem to be in dire need of a pro calibrator's help right out of the box, thankfully. For $1100 for both display and player (not counting the cost of my xbox 360 system) it's a great bang for the buck.

Matthew_W

Auditioning
i'm thinking about upgrading my tv to the Sharp LC-46D62U lcd... but i've noticed that the component inputs on the set aren't 1080P... now how much is this going to affect my picture from the XBOX HD-DVD player? i mean, i dont really want to wait for the 92U series from Sharp.. but if its that big of a difference, then i guess i won't have a choice..

any input is appreciated..

thanks..

MW

Neal_C

Second Unit
Matthew,

I have the Sharp 42" in the 62U series and it does 1080p over component. Are you sure on the 46"?

Matthew_W

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Neal....

I checked Sharp's official website and it only list the HDMI connections as 1080P...

I've got mixed answers from reading the forums... some people say it doesn't support it while others say it does... some people are waiting for the 92U series just for this support...

I mean, i'm not doubting your answer... but i am just confused... does it really do 1080P over component? Or is it some sort of up-conversation? :)

thanks for your help...

RichardK

Second Unit
Count me as a proud owner of the HD-DVD add-on for the 360.
I am using it via component @1080i on my ol' Mits65907 rptv.
King Kong looks beautiful. i am already addicted and will begin expanding my collection ASAP!

Set up of the drive was a breeze and I like not having to switch between a game or a movie when firing up my 360. (lol for the PS3/BD owners!)

One thing I noticed is the volume from the HDDVD movie, at least on the one I have KK, is noticeably lower than my 360 or my other sources. I am connected optically to a Denon2803. Is it the King Kong vid or is it the Drive?

Either way I am quite pleased!

XBL GAMERTAG: RICHUT96
just got Marvel and RB6 Vegas....

Neal_C

Second Unit
Matthew,

The tv is seeing the signal as 1080p.

Richard,

The 360 HD-DVD drive is the problem with the reduced volume. Microsoft is aware of the issue and is supposed to be working on a fix.

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,

I have a problem and wanted to know your thoughts for help.

I bought the 360 in August. Works totally fine. It has freezed once or twice back in mid August when I played the NCAA game, but other than that, no issues.

I play the Madden game pretty often...and I purchased the 360 add on a little before Christmas. I sampled some HD DVD's in there--Kong, Superman, Ray--and it looked good. Never watched a full movie.

Well, on Dec 26th, I watched a full movie: Batman Begins. Worked perfectly with no issues. On the 27th, though, I played my Madden game in the 360. And it froze. I thought it was odd, but I said OK no biggie. If I remember correctly, it froze AGAIN, and so I disconnected the add-on drive to the 360. I was able to finally complete a couple games.

Now though, it's freezing again. It freezed through three games, and on the fourth try it just shut off. No red rings of death, but I cannot complete a game now.

This is the thing....the 360 HD DVD add-on WAS used when I bought it from Best Buy (so I got it discounted). The used add-on was the only one available in the store, so I bought it. I have since exchanged my 360 for a new one at Best Buy, and returned the HD DVD add-on. I was a little leery of buying the add-on, as I like to have a component for DVD's and a component for video games and not have them be one in the same (so things like this don't happen).

My questions is this: Have their been complaints about the HD DVD add-on screwing up 360's? Has anyone experienced something like this? I really love HD DVD's, and want to experience them. I know there is a Toshiba player out...but that is something like 400 bucks, right? I'm torn. On one hand, it may have just been an issue with the add-on being used and not new. But I'm not really sure if that was the issue or if people are having trouble with the add-on in general.

Any help/knowledge would be great. Thanks guys

Neal_C

Second Unit
I can't imagine any circumstance where the HD-DVD drive would have an effect on the 360 playing games. I would imagine your 360 just happened to fail at the time you got the add-on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks