What's new
World Wide Stereo

Official Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Keith K

Auditioning
Hey all. I just picked up this player, and wanted to know how I would go about making sure it has the latest firmware upgrade? Also, I remember reading something about the NR switch being "on," but that Sammy had since fixed it... is there a way to check this, as well? I e-mailed Sammy about a week ago, and still no reply...

Thanks!

728x90

ScottFin

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
If you see multi-colored dots on your screen during disc loading rather than a Windows-like hourglass, you'll know you have the latest firmware.
If not, no worries. The upgrade is very simple as long as you follow the downloaded instructions carefully and make sure your CD is finalized. Nero and several other burners will do this by default, but the player will not recognize the disc unless formatted properly.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

:frowning: Unfortunately, my 1000 unit is going in to the shop for repairs. 10 months old ... luckily the Samsung warranty is still in effect.

They have an exchange program so they will mail me out a working refurb unit most likely for the troublesome unit I have now.

The unit has started to skip ... stutter ... drop frames ...

It also goes for spells rejecting disc after disc as being unplayable. Then for what ever reason ... it starts playing the discs as if nothing happened.

The 4 min to read a disc from start up got to be too much as well.

Enough ...

Hope the replacement fairs better.

Regards

TripC

Grip
I am sorry if I am repeating this, but, once the update has completed, is there a way to go back and just check the FW version. Is it buried in a submenu somewhere or can I get it by pressing a combination of buttons?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Sorry Dave, I must have missed that. I set to call Sammy tomorrow and request an update disc, I cannot burn the disc as I don't know how.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Looks like another firmware update is online at the samsung site. This one is dated July 4, 2007. Still called 1.2 ... some must be some minor tweaks.

Loaded it up on my unit ... can't really tell any difference from the original 1.2

Regards

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am having a problem, though. Every time you switch something on the menus of the Samsung or change chapters, ect....a message comes on the screen that says HDMI AUDIO NOT SUPPORTED. It drove me nuts, so I called Samsung and they had me switch the on screen display off. Does anyone know about this? I can't believe that they would make a player that is hooked, via HDMI to a projector, which has no sound, and get this message. Unfortunately chapter numbers on the screen and other things are now gone.
Any input?

Also, about the 24 frame per second feature, does this only work on blu-rays encoded with that feature, or doesn't it matter, and should it work with upscaled movies? I cannot get the setting, if you have any info on this as well, I would appreciate it. The 1080 projector is a 24fps projector. Also,does it automatically go into that mode on any disc?

I have the bd-p 1200 (couldn't find a thread with many people on it for that model, but I guess it's the same player really ).

Does anyone also know how to find out which firmware is in this player?

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
please help: I just bought the Samsung 1200. I have it hooked up to the HDMI port on my Epson 1080 (full hd) projector. When I put in the disc of BEWITCHED, the only way I can see it is stretched to the 16x9 format. Even if I change the setup in the Samsung's options to 4:3 picture or even 4:3 letterbox, nothing changes. I then went and hooked it up via component, and it was the normal 4:3 picture. When I use the HDMI, my projector's display options (zoon, normal, ect...even auto) are greyed out. I can't believe that people who have a projector would have to have 2 different types of connections (HDMI and Component)....can anyone PLEASE help?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Although the source circumstances are different (non-anamorphic transfer versus 4x3 aspect), the results are analogous. Robert, the problem you're experiencing is a cousin of the one detailed here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...8&postcount=11

It sounds like the Samsung stretches 4:3 content to 16:9 -and- your projector does not allow aspect ratio control when using the HDMI input.

Believe it. I think the remedies are 1) watch 4:3 content via component vid; or 2) if the Samsung permits you to change the resolution, watch 4:3 content in 480p (I surmise that your pj won't lock you out of AR control when watching at the lower rez).

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Paul...thanks for the info. I am going to call both Samsung tech and Epson this week. Has anyone else had this problem? Surely there must be people watching tv dvd on the 1000 or 1200? When I use component, the Epson displays 1080i as what the Samsung is sending out on the Bewitched (TV) disc. I don't have any more than one component input on the Epson, and that is in use for the Dish network. And only one HDMI input... So do they make good hdmi connectors so you can plug 2 inputs into it and use the one on the Epson? I'd have to use the component for the tv viewing on the Samsung and then the 2 HDMI for the DISH box and the Samsung as well for the 1080p upconversion :frowning:

Here's some interesting posts over at AV forums, and a few who are familiar say the problem is with the Samsung:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post11285914

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Has anyone noticed problems with the picture momentarily freezing when playing DVDs (NOT blu-Ray discs)? The effect is similar to a layer-change and seems to happen most often near the end of the movie - often several times.

Blu-Ray discs play with no problems and I have the latest and (hopefully) greatest firmware installed. Anyone else seen this?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My Sammy will not play the new F4 disc. It goes into some sort of "slideshow" mode and I get nothing. I'm going to exchange the disc tomorrow but will also call Sammy to see what's up.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

It has been reported that Samsung is working on a fix. The next disc won't play either, just wait for firmware or return the disc but an exchance will just be an unfair burden on the retailer.

Chris

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm calling Sammy today just to be sure a fix is in the works. I won't return / exchange the disc being that this seems to be a player problem.

Michael Napier

Stunt Coordinator

Please let us know what they say. I bought the disc the other day but haven't had a chance to try and watch it yet. I'd like to be able to watch it this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denapix
Recent bookmarks