What's new

***Official "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN" Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I had a freakin' BALL with this movie. 5 stars across the board.

And in an alternate universe where popcorn movies are respected...Johnny Depp would earn an Oscar nomination.

I know, I know. Disney/Bruckheimer/based on a freakin' amusement park ride. I expected it to be loud and diverting trash.

I was stunned.

The movie rocks.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Jesus Christ, that's all I needed to hear Scott.

The AICN reviews had my cautiously psyched, the comments by Dugger had me very positive, but I really trust you even though we don't always agree.

It's not so much the positive reviews in general, but the WHY's of those reviews.

The jist I get is this - the film is fun and a big part of the fun is seeing Depp and Rush camp it up against each other in their pirate roles.

My guess having not seen the film is that mixing in the horror angle gave them enough different things to play with to keep the film lively for the entire time.

I said in in the BO thread that it looks like a hit. Heck, 3 months ago in THIS thread I said...
the big 3 stars all can carry scenes on charm alone, especially Rush and Depp and especially with colorful characters like those.

It's also a trailer that should draw a lot of interest from audiences. Could be looking at that being a much bigger hit than it originally looked to be.
It's really starting to sound like both those opinions might just turn out to be correct.

If this is true and I love Pirates as I hope, then good for Bruck and Disney for surprising me and putting it in my sarcastic face for laughing off the idea when it was first announced.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
good for Bruck and Disney for surprising me and putting it in my sarcastic face for laughing off the idea when it was first announced.
I feel the same way. I mean, I love adventure movies but this concept seemed more than a bit sneer-worthy when I first heard about it. Depp's inclusion had me intrigued, as did the presence of screenwriters Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio. OK, ok, they wrote Godzilla but have more than made up for it with Shrek, Aladdin and The Mask of Zorro.

I'm fully expecting audiences to enjoy it and critics to praise it. I think I may be one of the more enthusiastic voices out there but I make no apologies; I really enjoyed this movie.

Funny how things work out sometimes.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I had a freakin' BALL with this movie. 5 stars across the board.

And in an alternate universe where popcorn movies are respected...Johnny Depp would earn an Oscar nomination.

I know, I know. Disney/Bruckheimer/based on a freakin' amusement park ride. I expected it to be loud and diverting trash.

I was stunned.

The movie rocks.
I am even more excited now. Sounds like a great, fun film. Everything I was hoping it would be. This is the first movie that will get me into a movie theater this year.

Peace Out~:D

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Good to hear Scott. As with Seth, we don't ALWAYS agree, but we usually do on stuff like this. You are the second person who I agree with (far too often to count) who outright LOVED this film. I expect I'll do the same!

Take care,
Chuck

FredK

Second Unit
Thanks for the notice Scott, I'm now officially going into this one with high expectations.

Another review let me in on how & when the pirates "reveal" themselves. The idea, and how it supposedly is used, has the VFX fan in me going frigging crazy in anticipation.

May as well say it now, can't wait for the DVD. :D

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I should have asked: wasn't it scheduled to be released later this month?

//Ken

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Nope, it's always been scheduled for tomorrow, at least since last December.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The early votes are in from Rotten Tomatoes :

90% rating - 28 positive, 3 negative

(The negatives are: a 5 out of 10 and two C- reviews.)

EDIT: And I'd bet real money that Ebert gives it 3.5 or 4.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, and running 100% with the few majors that have already chimed in.

Big freaking hit coming there. It's a Disney and while its PG-13 I don't think the skeletons will keep a lot of people from bringing the whole family.

Man, Bruckheimer does know how to make BO hits, but how about him critcally nailing 2 films by going with fresh directors (for him) - Ridley and now Verbanski.

I can't wait till tomorrow night for a real popcorn blast. :)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
By popular demand, I've hereby decided to make this the Official Discussion Thread for "Pirates of the Caribbean". Please continue discussion, and point any full reviews to the Official Review Thread.

Thanks everyone,

Jason Whyte
Home Theater Forum

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'm *really* looking forward to this movie as well, with all the positive reviews! I love fantasy movies, so I bet I won't be disappointed! Damn, the release is still a couple of months away in Denmark...

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yipee! Looks like some FUN movies are coming out at the tail end of the summer season!

Great to hear you like it Scott! Really looking forward to a fun ride with this one!

Scott - how did Orlando Bloom's performance strike you? Granted it sounds like he has a more confined role than Depp or Rush.

Do you see any progression in his acting ability? While I find him adequate as Legolas - to me he represents the weak link in the LOTR movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks