What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I need your help. I have the BD10A.. I am using an HDMI cable to my new Epson 1980 (full hd) projector. On the input signal on my projector, it says source: hdmi, and then INPUT SIGNAL: COMPONENT. I called Epson and we did some tests with the DISH dvr and all was correct, so he thinks something is set wrong with the Panasonic, as Input signal should say HDMI. Can anyone help? I have a friend here from 3 hours away who is here to check out my system (another techy-guy), and will only be here until Sunday, so if you know more, please let me know. Thanks much.

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett
A keen-eyed poster on another forum noted that Panasonic posted a firmware v.2.3 update this morning for "Playability and stability." (Haven't we heard those words before? :) ) It's on the global web site here http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...d10/index.html

I downloaded the file on an iMac, burned a CD and updated my BD 10 player successfully. With all due respect for Rachael's point of view, I am glad that Panasonic has apparently committed itself to continuous improvement of our favorite player.

Dana

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

I'm not against the upgrades. I'm gettin' 'em. I wish they'd really nail one so we don't need anymore. I'd like to stop even thinkin' 'bout firmware at some point.

Craig730iL

Grip
Real Name
Craig
I have only just managed to get 2.2 downloaded. It seems they have a compatability issue with Windows Vista, and you cant burn the disc if you use vista. I am curious though, my player came with 1.4, and now has 2.2 loaded, does 2.2 include the DTS HD and DD THD decoders from 2.0?

Craig730iL

Grip
Real Name
Craig
Just curious, does this player output 1080p at 24 frames per second, or is it another frame rate. I cannot find any info anywhere, and it is bugging me. And if it does, will that depend on the disc being played?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just got a DMP-BD10A. Annoyed to find that, when listening to a CD, the audio drops out for about a full second when I turn on my HDMI-connected display.

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett

It's establishing the HDCP handshake. Turn on the display before you start playing the CD. ;)

Dana

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I understand that its likely HDCP-related however it's curious to me that the interruption occurs even when listening to a CD via the 2-ch analog L and R. I currently have three players hooked up and sometimes use them simultaneously--for instance, reading text-based supplements while listening to unrelated music or even just putting on a movie to play in the background with no audio while doing other things including listening to unrelated music--and it would be nice if you didn't have to be "mindful" of such issues.

In any event, although I'm no electrical engineer, it appears to point to the absence of a "Chinese wall" between the analog and digital/HDMI/HDCP sections of the player.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Same here. I didn't notice any major changes or features(or minor changes for that matter). Must simply be a maintenance release.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I heard it fixes problems playing some SD DVD's, specifically the Lord of the Rings Extended Editions. Apparently it froze up on Return of the King.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Panasonic is really impressing me with the updates. I had just installed an hd-dvd player and I was having problems playing standard dvd's and having the video blank for some reason, that coupled with the lord of the rings problems with the panny meant I would have to have my standard dvd player hooked up as well to play dvd's. Not a day later this update comes out so all is good with the panny playing standard dvd's.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
So from the way this thread reads, this is a pretty good blu ray unit to start out on the blu ray path with?

YES?

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Yes Todd! If you want a reliable player, yes. Future players may have more audio options but right now, I think it's the player to have. I regret picking up a Sony 300 for an extra player when I could of had a second Panny.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Needless to say, get the BD10A not the BD10. ;)

Interesting, Rachael. Do you mind elaborating? Is this more an enhtusiastic endorsement of the BD10A, or a criticism of the S300? If the latter, what are you issues with that unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks