What's new

*** Official JENNIFER'S BODY Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Diablo Cody's followup from her Oscar-winning script of "Juno" is "Jennifer's Body", a film starring Megan Fox ("Jennifer") and Amanda Seyfried ("Needy") and directed by Karen Kusama. Dialogue-wise, I was hoping for a little more bite in the banter between the 2 lead actresses' characters (Jennifer and Needy), and the pacing of the film wasn't anything more than average. Some of the film plays like a longer version of the TV show "Supernatural", if the Winchester brothers never made it to Devil's Kettle (the town where the film takes place), and harkens back to "Heathers" in spots early in the film.

Sure, Megan Fox is superb eye candy, and her acting isn't all that bad (though her character is little under-written), but the film is anchored by Amanda Seyfried's performance, and is basically seen through her vantage point. Seyfried is a good actress, but the script lets her down too many times, though she steps up and meets all the challenges in the script. Overall, the film has its moments, but it never really builds and builds on the horror and tension of the situations, nor is it funny enough to be considered a classic, even in the B-movie horror genre. Kusama's direction is not inspired, rather very vanilla and restrained for this genre.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Jennifer's Body". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I thought Jennifer's Body was a black comedy in a horror movie's clothing. Diablo Cody seemed to be going more for laughs (and occasionaly some warped jokes) than chills to me. Amanda Seyfried is a reliable and talented actor and I don't have too high of an opinion of Megan Fox as an actor, she did fine in her role.

It's not bad but it's not great either.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
A solid 3 out of 4 stars for me. Bizarre pacing aside, this film worked for me on a lot of levels but the glue to the whole thing was the performances of the two leads, Seyfried and Fox. The whole film's a big metaphor that's not hard to find but the relationship and the growth of the two leads completely got me. In all honestly, I felt sad for both characters at the end of this thing...which surprised me.

Seyfried is the star of this piece but it doesn't work without her playing off of Fox. Their chemistry was just great. Fox can act so I think people really need to back off her. She's still young. Let's give her time to grow, if she's willing to do the hard work.

Badly advertised film that deserved much, much better than what critics gave it and its box office numbers.

Al_S

Second Unit
I thought this movie was great! Megan Fox is just awesome! I thought the script was great and I laughed at the great one liners. I give it 4 stars.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks