What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

**Official HTF HD Formats Ind./Retailer/Studio Support Thread-*SEE POST 3176, p. 106* (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brendon

Second Unit

This was pretty much my first reaction too. I own both formats but until this announcement there was a sense of the balance tending to tip one particular side.

I understand all is fair in love and war, but I've a horrible feeling we'll all be sat here this time next year lamenting sell through HD media being no more popular than it is now amongst the public at large. I'd be happy if HD discs filled the same niche that laserdisc occupied, but I'm not sure the studios will be financially happy in continuing to sell only the quantaties of discs they're currently selling. The words SACD and DVD audio are springing to mind once again.

Amazing, just amazing.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

On the AVS Forum, the total is placed at $150 million -- $50 million to Paramount, $100 million to Dreamworks. But we'll never know unless the government opens an investigation. That kind of money, even if given for "promotion of HD-DVD" sounds a lot like a bribe to stop supporting BluRay to me.

I don't want this war decided by government bugging of the Paramount executives. But it looks inevitable, now.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep. And as mass adoption never happens, MS cleans up with HD downloads and streaming in a couple of years.

End result in the format war, both sides lost.
We were so close, one studio away from ONE format and now MS pulls this crap for a format they really don't give a damn about. They just want to have a stalemate. J6P thinks, "Screw this. I'm not buying TWO new players, DVD is good enough for me..."

Anyone who wants good quality, high bitrate HD physical media are now going to be a "niche" consumer. Just like with DVD-a and SACD. Who won there? The ipod.
Evereone says, "So What? Get both Players! Be format neutral!" Yeah, except without mass adoption, many smaller or older films will probably NEVER make it into EITHER format.

Gotta hand it to MS, they know what they're doing.

Remember this...?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/09/t...l-gates-again/

"First off, I wanted to talk about some of the stuff you talked about your keynote, specifically Vongo, which is going to be the first of what I presume will be several online video subscription services that will be announced in the next few months. It's similar to the ToGo services that are available already for music, but do you think that online video download subscriptions have a greater chance of being successful than the rental model has so far been for music? Are customers already used to the idea of renting movies, but it's taking them some time to getting used to the idea of renting music?

GATES...

Yeah, I mean, movies are a bit different in the sense that it's often that you'll want to see it once, and then having it in a library wouldn't be that critical to you, whereas with music you're going to want to listen to it many, many times. In fact, you can hear it once on the radio and get that sample, so it's the ongoing use that's the real value there..."

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051017-5445.html

"For us it's not the physical format. Understand that this is the last physical format there will ever be. Everything's going to be streamed directly or on a hard disk. So, in this way, it's even unclear how much this one counts.

Will HD DVD or Blu-ray be the last physical format? You could certainly make a strong case for that..."

Some of us saw this coming months ago. Looks like we were right.

:frowning:

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr

Yeah. I just read this:

"Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format."

Interesting as 'CE3K' effectively is exclusive to BD. Hmm...well I might go see Indy 4. But it would still be supporting Paramount.

And as far as losing out on 'Blades of Glory', 'Shrek 3', and 'Transformers' on BD, I won't be losing any sleep over not adding those titles to my collection.

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

I don't believe we can say that for sure yet. Other than Close Encounters (on Blu-ray this fall), none of Spielberg's films have been announced for either format. They claim to be awaiting more market penetration.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Or else to announce they will go format neutral.
(My guess, however, is: next will be Disney.)

This development isn't a surprise. I'm still waiting for the exact specs (including price) of the dual-format player.

Cees

Maurice Verploegen

Stunt Coordinator
This is pretty big news, in case you haven't heard.....

PARAMOUNT AND DREAMWORKS ANIMATION EACH DECLARE EXCLUSIVE SUPPORT FOR HD DVD

Movies Distributed by Paramount Home Entertainment Including Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Animation SKG, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films to be Released Exclusively in HD DVD

Exclusive Program To Begin with Release of "Blades of Glory," Followed by "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," Films Representing

More Than $1.5 Billion in Combined Worldwide Box Office
Los Angeles, CA, August 20, 2007 – Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA and VIA.B) and DreamWorks Animation SKG (NYSE:DWA), each announced today that they will exclusively support the next-generation HD DVD format on a worldwide basis. The exclusive HD DVD commitment will include all movies distributed by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Nickelodeon Movies and MTV Films, as well as movies from DreamWorks Animation, which are distributed exclusively by Paramount Home Entertainment.

The companies each said that the decision to distribute exclusively in the HD DVD format resulted from an extensive evaluation of current market offerings, which confirmed the clear benefits of HD DVD, particularly its market-ready technology and lower manufacturing costs. Paramount Home Entertainment will launch its exclusive HD DVD program with the release of the blockbuster comedy hit "Blades of Glory" on August 28th and follow with two of the biggest grossing movies of the year "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third". These three titles alone represent more than $1.5 billion in box office ticket sales worldwide.

"The combination of Paramount and DreamWorks Animation brings a critical mass of current box office hits to consumers with a line-up of live action and animated films that are perfect for HD DVD," stated Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, which is currently the leading studio in domestic box office. "Part of our vision is to aggressively extend our movies beyond the theater, and deliver the quality and features that appeal to our audience. I believe HD DVD is not only the affordable high quality choice for consumers, but also the smart choice for Paramount."

"We decided to release "Shrek the Third" and other DreamWorks Animation titles exclusively on HD DVD because we believe it is the best format to bring high quality home entertainment to a key segment of our audience – families," stated DreamWorks Animation CEO, Jeffrey Katzenberg. "We believe the combination of this year's low- priced HD DVD players and the commitment to release a significant number of hit titles in the fall makes HD DVD the best way to view movies at home."

With the rapid increase of HD TV screens in households, and audiences wanting to enjoy the total entertainment experience, HD DVD has emerged as the most affordable way for consumers to watch their movies in high definition. In addition to pristine quality, HD DVD also offers consumers the chance to personalize the movie-watching experience, to interact with their movies and even to connect with a community of other fans.

Paramount Home Entertainment will issue new releases day and date as well as catalog titles exclusively on HD DVD. Today's announcement does not include films directed by Steven Spielberg as his films are not exclusive to either format

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
Um...wow.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this headline on my Verizon homepage. At first, I thought it was a misprint, and Paramount was dropping HD DVD. I never expected this, in a million years. The future should be pretty interesting...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Geez, Maurice, read back a page. We know it is big news, that's why a mod posted it and why we've been talking about it all morning.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
exactly.

Both formats owners lost today IMHO.
Many had been saying this for months.

We were so close, one studio away from ONE format and now MS pulls this crap for a format they really don't give a damn about. They just want to have a stalemate. J6P thinks, "Screw this. I'm not buying TWO new players, DVD is good enough for me..."

Anyone who wants good quality, high bitrate HD physical media are now going to be a "niche" consumer. Just like with DVD-a and SACD. Who won there? The ipod.
Everyone says, "So What? Get both Players! Be format neutral!" Yeah, except without mass adoption, many smaller or older films will probably NEVER make it into EITHER format.

:frowning:

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator

Comes across as a bitter fanboy. Seriously, if money is all that it takes to get a studio on board exclusively, why wouldnt sony simply outbid MS for exclusive studio support and seal hd-dvd's fate. There is far more to this format war than the simple exchange of a few sheckels.

I think underlying the format war are studios that don't like the thought of sony controlling and dictating a format.

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

about what i've expected from him. He rips on Microsoft for giving Paramount $$ to be exclusive when Sony has done the exact same thing??! Unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks