What's new

***Official 3rd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge*** (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
No time at the moment to do some mini-reviews, but in the last couple of days I've managed to watch CURSE OF THE UNDEAD (1959), THE NORLISS TAPES (1973), DAY OF THE DEAD (1985) and FROM HELL (2001). More on those later (as well as hopefully some further film viewings).
Current scary film tally: 13 watched

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Watched Sleepaway Camp 2 last night... and I liked it more than the original. Cmon... more boobies, more blood, and, what I thought were some pretty interesting ways to kill people :D
Say does Beauty and the Beast count as a horror movie? ;)
Updated List:
1. Red Dragon
2. Se7en
3. Sleepaway Camp
4. Jason X
5. Sleepaway Camp 2
Gotta watch Sleepaway Camp 3 tonight (maybe what was made of 4 too... got the box from Best Buy) and hopefully, my Nightmare Collection will come in the mail today or tomorrow :)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Boy oh boy am I ever sucking the hind teat on this one. :b
10 days into the month, 2 movies down. :frowning:
NEAR DARK - had no idea what to expect of this movie. The only thing I knew was that it was a vampire movie. I had no idea it was a western hybrid also, with a touch of Bonnie & Clyde thrown in. Very interesting and entertaining film. Bill Paxton is hysterical; reminded me a little of his cheerfully asshole-ish role in Weird Science. I also though it was interesting how it seems to draw an analogy between drug addiction and vampirism. At least that was my interpretation, although it was never even mentioned in the 47 minute documentary (haven't listened to the commentary). Notice the scene where Caelib leaves, saying he has to get home and Mae confidently states "You'll be back." Or the scene in the bus station with the cop. Also refreshing and different is that this is the first vampire movie I've ever seen which exists in a universe that is completely devoid of vampire mythology. The characters never refer to themselves by that term, Caelib saying "I'm not a person anymore...I don't know what I am." or something like that. An interesting approach.
EVIL DEAD - finally got around to viewing the new "Book of the Dead" DVD, with the much talked about (and ballyhooed) reframing and transfer. I can't really say I found the transfer problematic and the framing while not cramped seemed unnecessary when compared (briefly) to the full frame Elite version. What can I say about this movie? I've seen it countless times. It rocks. "FANalysis" was fun too.
Lots more to go. First week and a half of this month have been buzzzzzzzzzzzzzy, so here's to getting crackin' on this challenge.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I rented
Dracula, the version in Spanish.
I’d never seen this version before and it was pretty interesting to see the same sets and script being used by a different set of actors. I thought this version very effective, but I need to see the English version again to be sure which I prefer.
Well then, you need a copy of the Universal Dracula DVD which has both along with a slew of extras. :)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, Dracula could have used a restoration, but the transfer is acceptable and I'm happy with it. The film is over 70 years old after all. Oddly enough, the Spanish version looks better. I highly recommend the DVD - the extras are terrific. You get a documentary, a commentary on the Lugosi version, an intro to the Spanish version by leading lady Lupita Tovar, an optional Philip Glass score for the Lugosi version, plus a poster gallery, the trailer, production notes, and filmographies. If you want a copy, www.moviesunlimited.com still seems to have some in stock.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Well here I am again. And boy did I get in a double doozy.
Angel Heart (1987)
This is one of those titles I heard was good, and somehow just never seemed to get around to. Shame too, because this one hooked me in from the beginning and didn't let go. From the constant eerie visions of Harry Angel, to voodoo rituals, this one never lets up. I'll admit, I saw the ending coming, but unlike other titles, when realized, I wasn't disappointed. It's hard to go into much detail without giving something away. Suffice to say, I recommend it. :star: :star: :star:
The Sentinel (1976)
This one wasn't in my original list, but I happen to catch it a great price and couldn't resist. I don't often buy movies unseen, but I didn't go wrong with this one. Extremely creepy, with many a haunting image, this movie gave me the willies. The story revolves around model, Alison Parker. Needing to prove to herself that she can make it on her own, she moves into an apartment that just so happens to be the entrance to Hell. (bummer) The resulting story is predictable, but none the less a fun ride. This baby has a hell (forgive the pun) of a cast: Cristina Raines, Martin Balsam, Chris Sarandon, Arthur Kennedy, Burgess Meredith, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Walken, Tom Berenger (look real close), John Carradine, Ava Gardner, Eli Wallach, Beverly D'Angelo, William Hickey, and others. If you have the chance, I recommend this one as well. :star: :star: :star:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Add Brotherhood of the Wolf, though again this is not really a full-on horror flick. Still, it does feature some grisly deaths and a monster.
But then, so does FOTR. ;)

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Saw Red Dragon twice this week, thought it was much better than Manhunter because it's more faithful to the book.

Also watched Session 9 tonight. Pretty creepy atmosphere and sounds, but the ending was kind of a letdown.

I'd love to take part in this challenge, as I have been a lurker here for quite a while. Although it's a little late and I probably won't make it, I'm going to try for 31 films. Here's two that I viewed last night:
-The Haunting (1963). I've always had this film on my "to-watch list" but never got around to it. The macabre history of the house at the opening of the film was very creepy and well done. Not a lot in this film to genuinely give me the creeps afterwards, except for one scene with Eleanor lying in bed that I don't want to spoil. The concept of doors that close themselves was a nice touch. The only thing that I would criticize about the film is Eleanor's constant inner monologue. All-in-all, a tastefully done haunted house story deserving of it's classic status.
-The next one I viewed was The Woman in Black (1989). This made-for-TV movie had quite a few genuinely spine-chilling moments that make for a great scary movie. Every time the woman in black appeared I got a shiver...and I don't scare easily. There's one especially frightening jump-out-of-your-seat-and-pee-your-pants-moment that I can't disclose any further. For those of you who have already seen it, you know what I'm talking about! This one's a must-see for anyone who's always lamenting how scary movies nowadays don't offer any scares or lack a prevailing creepy atmosphere...
Two movies down and 29 (or maybe just 11) to go!

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I highly recommend the DVD - the extras are terrific.
Thanks for the heads up, Steve. The Glass score has pushed me over the edge.

Broke out

Häxan and was very impressed. I found the sequence where the seamstress was forced to confess and the one where the housewife was tricked into confessing to be the most effective. Great use of the camera in both scenes.

The Criterion DVD included a commentary track that was moderately interesting and an edited version that was re-released in 1968 with a voice over by William Burroughs. It was in B&W, rather than the original tints, but other than being able look at the footage in its natural colors was pretty much a waste of time. The jazz soundtrack to this version was far inferior to classical pieces which served as background in the 1922 original version.

One of our actresses wanted to try the thumbscrew. I am unable to reveal the secrets that I forced out of her in just a few minutes.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
Well, I got in my last one until my next batch of movies come.
Kwaidan (1965)
This was a great little movie. It's four separate tales based on old Japanese folklore. All four were well done, and groovy little stories. My favorite had to be the third tale, "Hoichi, the Earless." A superb little yarn about a blind musician singing the story of a great battle between two clans to the actual ghosts of the battle. If you are a fan of Vault of Horror, or Tales from the Crypt, then you would definitely enjoy this film. :star: :star: :star:
I've got 10 out my 13 goal of unseens, and 12 out of 31 for the ultimate challenge. I may just make it yet.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Been slow for me so far. Only 2 films completed and things aren't looking any better for the next week or so. Well, I can still make it. So far:
Red Dragon-:star: :star: :star: :star:
Jason X-:star: :star:
Shock Corridor-:star: :star: :star: :star: -but, I can't count it as a horror film. Just didn't have the elements needed.
Bruce

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Just watched Halloween 4 and 5...here's where the count stands:
1. Black Christmas - First Time
2. Frailty - First Time
3. Red Dragon
4. Manhunter
5. The Thing
6. Halloween
7. Halloween 4
8. Halloween 5
Next on the list is Wicker Man, all Nightmare on Elm St. movies, Near Dark, and Jason X.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Watched my first, the entertaining Russian film Viy. Very atmospheric and I would say Hammer or Bava influenced in it's acting, lighting and effects. Its the story of a seminary student who has a bizarre encounter with a witch and then is forced to spend three nights in a church with the dead body of a girl who seems to be possessed by the spirit of the witch.
The Viy monster itself looks like a Sid and Marty Croft character :D but the other creatures look pretty good. Also the Ruscico DVD has a spiffed up 5.1 track rather than the original, but in this case, I think the sound really enhanced the movie. Made excellent use of the speaker separation and around-the-room effects.
I have a bunch of my own stuff, as well as Spider Baby and Frailty on the way from Netflix. My account was just reinstated :emoji_thumbsup:

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Watched Frailty and The Wicker Man last night, both first timers. Was pretty impressed by Frailty, not so much with Wicker. The way it has been talked up, I expected it to be scarier, instead I found it just weird (in a good way).
List so far:

Red Dragon (twice)
Frailty (first time)
Session 9 (first time)
The Wicker Man (first time)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Saw three more in the last day or so (all first-time viewings):
GINGER SNAPS (2000-Canadian) -a pretty good modern werewolf film, good acting (plus Katharine Isobelle is easy on the eyes), nice to see tried-and-true makeup effects work rather than the usual CGI, some effectively spooky scenes...film undermined a bit by cartoonish portayals of the lead sisters' parents, and a plot development or two that ultimately goes nowhere. Still a better-than-average modern fright flick.
DEMONS 2 (1986-Italian) -more of the same as dished out in DEMONS, although the action takes place in an apartment complex, rather than a movie theater.
SPIRAL (2000-Japanese) -some good shocks, very strange, existential horror on a unique theme.
More later...
Current scary film tally: 16 watched

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Watched Frailty last night. Terrific.
I'm very impressed with the sure-handed construction of the story, although the resolution does feel a little gimmicky. Most notably, it doesn't winkingly ridicule the religious fanaticism (a pretty easy target), but treats them as reasonable and sincere, although deluded. It's told with considerable restraint, both in the depiction of the characters and the depiction of the violence, which isn't explicit, but not merely implied either. Very well acted also, nice tension between Matthew McConaughey and Powers Boothe in the present day story, and a very impressive performance by child actor Matthew O'Leary in the key role of the movie. Bill Paxton also does a nice job of playing the earnest "Dad" as a thoughtful, kind man who simply believes he has a rather regrettable job to do.
3 down, 10 to go. I'm tallying mine in my original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks