What's new

***Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021*** (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Official 22nd Annual HTF October Scary Movie Challenge 2021:

1. THE HAUNTING (1963) * Premier Viewing! TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS COLLECTION (Horror) - DVD set

2. HOUSE OF WAX (1953) 2-D Version. TCM GREATEST CLASSIC FILMS COLLECTION (Horror) - DVD set

3. THE DEVIL BAT (1940) Premier Viewing! Triple Bela Lugosi Feature 3 disc DVD set by Direct Source.

4. THE CORPSE VANISHES (1942) Premier Viewing! Triple Bela Lugosi Feature 3 disc DVD set by Direct Source.

5. SCARED TO DEATH (1947) Premier Viewing! (YouTube Version)
Although also on the Direct Source DVD set, I elected to instead view a version from YouTube, as the transfer on the DVD was Black & White, rather than the Natural Color process that was used in the making of this early post war Horror Feature.

6. THE MONKEES MINI-MONSTERTHON (3 Episodes) THE MONKEES Season 1 & Season 2 DVD sets by Rhino.
Season 1:
I WAS A TEENAGE MONSTER (Episode 18)
Season 2:
A COFFIN TOO FREQUENT (Episode 43)
MONSTROUS MONKEE MASH (Episode 50)

6. THE THREE STOOGES:
SPOOKS (1953) 3-D Anaglyph Sony DVD

7 – 9. THE THREE STOOGES (All from Sony DVD Volumes):
WE WANT OUR MUMMY (1939)
SPOOK LOUDER (1943)
IF A BODY MEETS A BODY (1945)

10. THE LAUREL~HARDY MURDER CASE (1930)

11. THE GHOST TALKS (1949)

12. THE HAUNTED HOUSE (1921) Buster Keaton (KINO 2011 Blu-ray Edition)

13. DRACULA (1931) Universal DRACULA COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION Blu-ray

14. DRÁCULA (1931) - Spanish Universal DRACULA COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION Blu-ray

15. THE LIVE GHOST (1934) – LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION DVD Set (RHI-Vevendi)

16. SHIVER MY TIMBERS (1931) – THE LITTLE RASCALS Volume 3 DVD (RHI-Vivendi)

17. SPOOK BUSTERS (1946) – THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 2 DVD Set (WB)

18. MASTER MINDS (1949) - THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 1 DVD Set (WB)

19. GHOST CHASERS (1951) - THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 2 DVD Set (WB)

20. THE BOWERY BOYS MEET THE MONSTERS (1954) - THE BOWERY BOYS VOLUME 2 DVD Set (WB)

21. ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) – DRACULA COMPLETE LEGACY COLLECTION Blu-ray set (Universal)

22. DR. PYCKLE & MR. PRIDE (1925) - Stan Laurel comedy short parody - *Ben Model Silent Comedy Watch Party (YouTube Series)

*Silent Comedy fans should absolutely check out this series on YouTube!

CHEERS! :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I got 31 in again., 18 were new to me. Best film that I couldn't believe I'd not seen before was The Howling, most fun viewing I had this year was Werewolves Within, biggest disappointment was Critters Attack, film that had me the most scared was Veronica, and best revisit was The Thing (1982), but that's not fair, I look forward to getting to that on Halloween night every year and it never fails to hit the right notes with me.

This year was great fun. So many great write ups from others and recommendations and incredible viewing counts that I am in awe! Thanks everyone!

October 1: Children of the Corn (1984) – 3.5 out of 5
October 2: The Howling (1981) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 3: Bad Moon (1996) – 2.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 4: Malignant (2021) – 3 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 5: The Fog (1980) – 4.5 out of 5
October 6: They Live (1988) – 4 out of 5
October 7: Deep Red (1975) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 8: The Empty Man (2020) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 10: Freaky (2020) – 3.5 out of 5 - First Time Viewing
October 11: Severance (2006) – 3 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 12: Prince of Darkness (1987) – 3.5 out of 5
October 13: A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - 4 out of 5
October 14: Phase IV (1974) – 2.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 15: Tremors: Shrieker Island (2020) – 2.5 out of 5 - First Time Viewing
October 16: Halloween (1978) – 4 out of 5
October 17: Halloween (2018) – 3.5 out of 5
October 18: Halloween Kills (2021) – 3.5 out of 5 - First Time Viewing
October 19: DeadTectives (2018) – 3.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 20: Blood Red Sky (2021) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 21: Shocker (1989) – 2 out of 5
October 22: The People Under the Stairs (1991) – 4 out of 5
October 23: Mara (2018) – 2 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 24: Werewolves Within (2021) – 4.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 25: Critters Attack! (2019) – 1.5 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 26: Little Monsters (2019) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 27: Spring (2014) – 4 out of 5 - First Time Viewing
October 28: Veronica! (2017) – 4 out of 5 – First Time Viewing
October 29: Scream (1996) – 4 out of 5
October 30: The Thing (2011) - 4 out of 5
October 31: The Thing (1982) – PERFECT (5 out of 5)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If I missed your list or if more need to be added just let me know but here are the totals I came up with:

Congrats to Travis for being this year's winner.

TravisS 143 (2)
BobO'Link 132 (53)
Michael Elliott 128 (76)
JasonRoer 127 (46)
John Stell 121 (10)
Ruz-El 92 (59)
BryanH 57 (21)
Dpippel 53 (9)
Sleroi 36 (16)
Neil Middlemiss 31 (18)
Jeff Flugel 27 (20)
HawksFord 26 (7)
Tony Bensley 20 (4)

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If I missed your list or if more need to be added just let me know but here are the totals I came up with:

TravisS 143 (2)
BobO'Link 132 (53)
Michael Elliott 128 (76)
JasonRoer 127 (46)
John Stell 121 (10)
Ruz-El 92 (59)
BryanH 57 (21)
Dpippel 53 (9)
Neil Middlemiss 31 (18)
Jeff Flugel 27 (20)
HawksFord 26 (7)
Tony Bensley 20 (4)
Way to go Travis!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie

TravisS 143 (2)
BobO'Link 132 (53)
Michael Elliott 128 (76)
JasonRoer 127 (46)
John Stell 121 (10)
Ruz-El 92 (59)
BryanH 57 (21)
Dpippel 53 (9)
Neil Middlemiss 31 (18)
Jeff Flugel 27 (20)
HawksFord 26 (7)
Tony Bensley 20 (4)
Whew! For a minute I really thought I was going to win this thing... I'm quite happy Travis pulled out all the stops and came in at the wire! ;)

BUT - Michael has more *first time* viewings so that should count for something...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Whew! For a minute I really thought I was going to win this thing... I'm quite happy Travis pulled out all the stops and came in at the wire! ;)
I was keeping track of the titles that I watched but I wasn't numbering them so I honestly thought I was around maybe 100 and way behind you and Michael. Once I started typing them all up, I realized I had deeply underestimated my couch potato abilities. :)

BUT - Michael has more *first time* viewings so that should count for something...
I agree as it's in the spirit of the challenge. I'm simply watching all the same stuff over again but he's breaking new ground.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Happy Halloween! I have enjoyed reading everyone's reviews. I only watched a very few movies this year. My dad passed away suddenly on September 28 and my heart just hasn't been in it.

I did take my mom out to a few movies, though. She was never a movie person and I've been dragging her along and teaching her Film History 101 on the way.

We saw Young Frankenstein at the local library on October 4. It was a welcome relief after all stress of planning the celebration of life and other details. On October 10, we saw Hitchcock's excellent silent The Lodger at the Arkadin. It's a microcinema that does their showings outdoors in a small courtyard behind The Heavy Anchor bar. It was preceded by Buster Keaton in The Haunted House. It was sponsored by a new organization in St. Louis called, Silents, Please STL. Kate (the organizer) is trying to get at least one silent film showing each month on a big screen. I am super excited about this.

On October 20, we were back at the Arkadin for Vincent Price in The Masque of the Red Death. This was preceded by Price's appearance on The Muppet Show. (I love that they try to include appropriate shorts and trailers at all their screenings.)

Last night we saw Filibus (1915) at Webster University. It's not horror, but the Kino blu-ray looks great. The bonkers plot is like Swiss cheese but it is a fun film.

I watched The Haunting of Rosalind (1973) on October 7. It was a presentation by UCLA Virtual Screening room. It is an episode of the TV anthology series The Wide World of Mystery. It was an interesting tale of two sisters in love with the same mysterious man. His previous wives have all died suddenly and the sister who loses out predicts that her pretty sister played by Susan Sarandon, will be next. It's creepy and the style is similar to a Dark Shadows episode. I enjoyed it.

Hopefully next year will be better.
Suzanne I'm so sorry for your loss I finally went back and started reading through the thread .

You and your family are in my prayers.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
I'm getting more and more excited about this year's upcoming challenge as we barrel our way toward the month of Halloween. However, it turns out I'll now be working 6 days a week starting one week earlier than expected. I thought I had until the 3rd week of Oct. Now, it's the 2nd. Once that kicks in it's going to be really tough to keep up with the flicks. Oh well.

In the meantime, I'm figuring out what I want to watch while I can. My top 3 are Halloween Ends (duh!), Black Phone, and the new Hellraiser movie.

What movies/TV shows are you all most excited about?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Halloween Ends is at the top of my list of new stuff and then I'll be rewatching all of my usual suspects (Universal monsters, 80's slashers and John Carpenter). Unfortunately, I'm probably going to be working alot this coming month so I might not get to watch a ridiculous amount of horror movies this time around.

Speaking of new movies, I wholeheartedly recommend Barbarian (which is wild) and Pearl is a good prequel to X. I think this year has been very good in terms of horror movies.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I'm gearing up for next month myself, warming up with my customary sampling of The Munsters (though I will definitely be avoiding the atrocious-looking Rob Zombie reboot).

On the agenda are several new-to-me late '70s / early '80s movies, combined with the usual assortment of '30s-'60s stuff. In addition, I'll be sure to delve into some choice creepy TV, including The Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond, Thriller, The X-Files, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker (didn't receive Kino's Blu-Ray set in enough time for last year's challenge, but I've got it ready to go now).

I gave John Carpenter's The Fog a break last year, so am thinking it's time to revisit it this year...perhaps as my Halloween night's viewing. Love that movie.

See you guys in the 2022 thread come October!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm getting more and more excited about this year's upcoming challenge as we barrel our way toward the month of Halloween. However, it turns out I'll now be working 6 days a week starting one week earlier than expected. I thought I had until the 3rd week of Oct. Now, it's the 2nd. Once that kicks in it's going to be really tough to keep up with the flicks. Oh well.

In the meantime, I'm figuring out what I want to watch while I can. My top 3 are Halloween Ends (duh!), Black Phone, and the new Hellraiser movie.

Most of what I have lined up are BR upgrades of DVDs. I don't think I have anything truly "new" to me in the wings but am not home to double check that.

I've finally purchased (after deciding the "sale" prices are never going lower than what I think should be the MSRP of ~$40) 5 of the 6 Shout! Factory Universal 4 horror movie sets (upgrades from the DVDs) and am a bit excited to watch those. I may pick up that 6th one sometime before the end of October.

The one I'm *most* wanting to watch is Warner Archive's upcoming BR of the 1931 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, starring Frederick March. I discovered that version several years back when I purchased the WB 2-fer DVD which also has the 1941 remake with Spencer Tracy. I'd purchased that DVD for the 1941 version and then decided I prefer the 1931 version - though I really like both as they're different interpretations of the book and character. I also have the new 1941 BR version in the wings.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm going fast and loose again with not concrete plan. Probably watch more old Hammer with my mom who I look after. Otherwise I'm hitting the unwatched pile but want to shuffle more new releases into this one so I may go one unwatched pile/one new.
Also want to clear up some boxsets so I want to hit the Severin All The Haunts Be Ours set and the Criterion/Arrow Godzilla/Gamera sets. (Giant monsters count haha). Trick with those is there are a lot of subtitled films and my eyes ain't so good anymore so they're tricky for me.

JasonRoer

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason Roer
Annnnd.... It now looks like the 6-day rotation will go into effect on Oct 3rd. So that's that, it would seem. Hopefully, I'll hit even 31 this year. We'll see. Depends on how many patients give the ole' no-show routine and how fast I can do the paperwork.

At least I can live vicariously through you all!

Last edited:

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Typically the prior year's winner gets things going for the next year but we're fast approaching October 1. So unless Travis, Howie, Michael, or Jason object, I'll get the 23rd annual challenge going later today. I know my numbers will be even lower this year because of some social events that will take up some Saturday nights.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Typically the prior year's winner gets things going for the next year but we're fast approaching October 1. So unless Travis, Howie, Michael, or Jason object, I'll get the 23rd annual challenge going later today.
I just found out that my dumb job may be monopolizing my life for the majority of October so fine by me. :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks