What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

odd couple season 1...again (1 Viewer)

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

I went to the Time Life Website today and under The Odd Couple set is a message saying, "Due to greater than anticipated demand this set is backordered." It was previously backordered when first released this summer as well. This doesn't tell us specifics on how sales are going, but in light of that message, I think it's safe to assume, that sales are going well. I also noticed that they've dropped the price to $29.99.

With the Get Smart set, it says they will be available regular retail in the fall of 2007. Based on my experience with the Odd Couple set (price drop and additional disk offered w/retail purchase), I will wait until then to delve into Get Smart.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

While waiting for the regular retail sets of Get Smart, you might catch a price break on the seasons as they are released, but fans who already purchased the complete series from T-L won't get screwed by a bonus disc of episodes, and it's doubtful there are ADDITIONAL unreleased extras that will be offered. With the discount code, my cost per season worked out to $32. I doubt the retailer price will be much smaller.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

Bonus disk aside, for me it still makes more sense to wait. Though intrigued by the reviews I've read of the series, this is a total blind buy for me, and I'm not willing to shell out $$$ for the entire series of a show I've never seen before, and am not yet sure I will even like.

AS for the anticipated $32 regular retail, I can think of very few occaisions when I've EVER paid regular retail for a TV-DVD set. I'm always purchasing them on some sort of major online sale, or one of the major holiday sales at the brick and mortar stores. I have all 5 Dick Van Dyke Show sets which retailed in the $50-60 range. I never paid more than $30 per set. I got my 4 sets of Alias for $20 each.

So while the Time Life deal may be a great value for the established fan who doesn't want to wait, I know I'll be able to get a good price on an individual Season set once they go regular retail.

I only took the plunge with The Odd Couple because it was only one season, and I did vaguely remembered the show from childhood.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I was just going to ask about the later seasons and found this thread.
Weird about the "bonus" eps. Has that been doen before..? Not that I'm aware of. Seems Paramount just wants the diehards who already own the TL to buy it again. Kinda sleazy IMHO.
But let's get moving on the later seasons!

:) d

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I don't know. Another way to look at it is that, to attract non-diehards, they felt they had to toss in some later episodes as a bonus, especially since all subsequent seasons are multi-camera audience episodes, not the single-camera episodes of the first season.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if there's any implication from this news whether the Get Smart set will be re-issued with improved transfers?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I hear ya Mike but I really doubt that anyone not really loving the odd couple in the first place would even bother looking at the set for more than a second and I don't think having 5 bonus eps. that were done with the more traditional 3 camera settup would entice them. How would anyone but a diehard even know there was a difference? I really think it is to get the TL owning crowd to maybe re-buy.
Just my opinion

Mike*SC

Second Unit
I may have overstated the single vs. multicam distinction (I know that most people don't think much about the difference, but including the more "comforting" multicam episodes might remind people of the show they liked and encourage them to buy future seasons).

But there are casual fans of "The Odd Couple," absolutely, and they will glance at the packaging. And I'm assuming there will be a big round sticker on the front that says "Includes bonus episodes!!!" And I don't think it's ridiculous to believe that this will push some on-the-fence buyers over the fence.

I understand your cynicism, but really, it only works if you assume that future seasons will never be released. Yes, "double-dipping" is a common practice in the DVD industry, and not really a big secret. They love it if you buy the same things twice, or more. (Why wouldn't they?) And no, they won't be unhappy if buyers of the Time-Life set buy this one, too, for that bonus. But I must question the assertion that attracting double-dippers is the only reason these bonus episodes are being included. I think it's a reasonable enticement to offer any buyer, and would be even if the Time-Life set didn't exist.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I would only really buy that if it was more common butI have personally never seen it before and I've bought quite alot of TV on DVD.
If the TL sets didn't exist, I don't think they would have done it.
Just my 2 cents.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
well i picked up the Paramount release of ODD COUPLE THE FIRST SEASON.
I love the packaging.

Its all housed in a single sized style amaray case.

COMPACT!

Its sure making my seinfeld box sets look like encyclopedias.

Though I am sure they will release a slimmed down full 9 season set of seinfeld next holiday.

As far the odd couple new release, couldnt be happier, bring on season 2!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I'm Bummed because the "Sleepwalker" (Pits, Pits, Pits) is one of my foavorite eps, but Hopefully we'll get this on a S2, are the sets Identical otherwise, same menus, Introductions etc? As far as the extra Eps, Paramount did this with Rawhide including a S2 ep, and they it's coming with a S2 set, still I think these bonus eps are a waste I'd rather see extras, and then have the next set released

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy

Id rather see that used for more extras, but maybe they put em on to hopefully sell future series to prospective buyers.

I didnt check the menus yet as I didnt get home yet.
I will later or hopefully someone else will.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The extra episodes are all on DVD 5. None of the extras are on the DVD.

Paramount really should be able to dip into their vast collection of Entertainment Tonight interviews for quickie bonus features for their various TV shows.

What really suffers when Odd Couple went to the live studio audience/ 3 camera was the audio. It's like they keep the boom mic about 10 feet above the action so it sounds like you're just listening to the incamera mic on a stageplay.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
yes there r 5 discs, but i'd rather have a fifth disc of extras.

i cant believe how they jammed 5 discs into a regualr sized amaray.
nice.

to answer DAVES question, the menus look to be the same as the time-Life set.
inside are episode tag lines and orignal airdates, which didnt appear inside the time life set.
these appear behind the clear amaray case on each side.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
yes there r 5 discs, but i'd rather have a fifth disc of extras.

i cant believe how they jammed 5 discs into a regualr sized amaray.
nice.

to answer DAVES question, the menus look to be the same as the time-Life set.
inside are episode tag lines and orignal airdates, which didnt appear inside the time life set.
these appear behind the clear amaray case on each side.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
For those who bought the Paramount version, how different is it from the Time Life release? I'm a little unclear as to what extras there are, and so on.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I remember hearing that there were supposed to be a few added episodes from later seasons? I'm hoping it's not the case because that may mean Paramount would put every season out.

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone catch the tvshowsondvd.com announcement last week about Odd Couple S2? What struck a blow to me was hearing that TL was dropping the series due to poor sales. Considering that retail S2 was practically announced within seven days of the S1 retail release (too soon to see how sales are), should I be worried that S3 might not be released is retail S1 isn't a "massive hit"? Of course, I've been bummed the past few weeks hearing about these low numbers and abandonment being reported for 70s tv series like MTM, Bob Newhart, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks