What's new

Not so smart after all... New SN Preamp is kaput! Jeff H.- Help! (1 Viewer)

J

John Morris

Recently, in anticipation of getting an Outlaw 950, I sold my Denon 3801 that I was using as a preamp. While I waited for the 950, I borrowed a B&K Ref 30 for a month never guessing that I wouldn't have the 950 by the time I had to return it... on Thursday. So, I went and bought a Ubid special on a Sherwood Newcastle AVP-9080r just so I had some music and movies over the holidays, while I continue to wait for the Outlaw 950 to ship. I got this new unit, which I had also previously owned a year ago, for less than $350 delivered. So far so good I thought, feeling kinda smug. Last night I installed the unit but didn't turn it on till this morning so I could calibrate it and get it ready for a Christmas dinner party this evening. This is where my smugness died. Everything turned on and all the lights lit... but no sound, nothing, nada. I previously owned one of these units so I knew what to do to operate it and I tried every mode, every input including the onboard tuner... nothing but silence. I check and rechecked the connections and cables 3,4,5 times... silence. When I send a coax digital signal to the unit, it is apparent that the signal is not being read since the "coax" indicator goes out and does not remain lit. Just to make sure, I pulled an old DPL receiver out of our bathroom and hooked it up and sure enough it worked, from both the coax digital and the analog CD input...
So, it looks like I got a bum SN 9080r unit... DAMN!
Anyone know anything that I might be missing with this unit? By all appearances, this unit SHOULD be working, but it's not.
Jeff H from Sherwood: If you are out there... do you have any suggestions? Is it possible that the entire input board is bad? If so, would this also impact the onboard Tuner? If it is the preout board, would that also cause the digital coax light to not remail lit with a digital coax input?
Lastly, yes, I made sure that the mute button was not pushed. :frowning:

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
John, I have been following your trials and tribulations over this forum concerning the Outlaw 950 as we are both presently in the same situation sitting without a pre. I was feeling jealous that you were able to comp a B&K Ref 30 for so long (in fact, I'm surprised you gave it back. From what I hear it's a great unit and I would have thought you would have given in to temptation).

I don't know what to say. That sucks man! C'Mon Outlaw! Get with the program here!

J

John Morris

Evan: Yeah, just when you think you have it all figured out... Now, I'll be spending the rest of the morning calling everyone I know locally that might be able to loan me another preamp... hmmm, wonder if I can borrow a MB-12 for a week or so??? I thought about dragging the unit out from the bedroom system but then the kids won't be able to play PS2... and it's raining outside. Heck, I'm so desperate I'll even take an old demo 5.1 receiver with preouts... :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
First, Outlaw releases cables that you can't return if you are dissatisfied with them, now they continue delaying the 950. Sorry, but I am most unimpressed with Outlaw. Rant's over.

J

John Morris

Keith: Ahhh, I'm not upset with Outlaw. They told us that their 950 would be delayed and they told us that they would give a shout when they would start shipping, so I have no one to blame for my current predicament but myself. I should have waited to sell my Denon 3801, but no, I was worried that it would devalue quickly following the availability fo the 3802 and I wanted to make a few more bucks on the 3801 sale... bad decision. As for their cables, they are simply fantastic, and I have no intentions, whatsoever, to return them.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
John:

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Interestly, I have read several similar stories lately (last few months) regarding UBid product. Lots of duds as of late (not item specific) A firend of mine used to like UBidding couple years ago - we tried lots of stuff this way with little/no problems. Lately, seems like another story.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks