What's new

Not getting audio from cable on my HTS... help! (1 Viewer)

csmiley51

Auditioning
Real Name
Charlie
First... I am new to home theaters and was thrilled to find this site. After reading through a few posts, this seems like a great community and I feel lucky to find a place to get expert advice from and thank any of you in advance for your help. Now down to business:

I purchased a modest home theater system (Samsung HT-Q45). I don't have a HD television, but it is only a few years old (Sharp SRS). I have the following components:

1. VCR
2. TiVo
3. Cable (Motorola box)

I seemed to have done a few things right so far... all of the speakers work, I can play DVDs and CDs and get surround sound, the basics all seem to be working. What I'm UNABLE to do is get regular television/cable to go through my home theater system. What would be the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Charlie. Welcome to HTF!

In general, you send video straight to the TV and for your equipment, L/R audio to the receiver on the Samsung.

Then to watch Tivo/Cable, you adjust the TV to see the Cable box video and select the input to hear the Audio.

If your receiver on the Samsung has a yellow video input on 3 devices, you could send Composite Video (single RCA cable) and L/R audio to each input. Then run a composite video cable to your TV and how the receiver will let you switch VCR/TIVO/Cable with it's remote.

Here might be your problem: Do you have a SVideo cable between the samsung and the TV? Many receivers do not convert one cable type to the other. Try running a single, video cable from the "video out" on the Samsung to the TV. Now you should be able to see VCR/TIVO/CABLE.

Hope this helps.

csmiley51

Auditioning
Real Name
Charlie
Thank you so much for the reply... this is giving me a much better idea of how this should be set up to get what I want. A few follow up q's though:

I've been trying to send audio from the cable box to the receiver. However, neither of the "Aux" options nor the "Digital In" modes seem to play audio from the cable. I'm not sure if this is an equipment error or if its just not the right way to set it up. Are you saying I'm better off sending the audio from the TV to the receiver instead of from the cable box to the receiver?

Also, instead of using the composite video, I'm using component video cables (I thought they were preferred). Should I go back to composite cables (because its true, I am using the composite cables from the receiver to the TV, but am just using the red/white audio cables from the cable box to the receiver)?

csmiley51

Auditioning
Real Name
Charlie
Bob... THANKS! I have audio from cable going through the receiver and speakers now... thanks for your advice!!! Big time help!!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Component (3 RCA cables) are the better way to go. But most standard-def equipment like you listed (VCR, Tivo, Cable box) do not offer component outputs. They offer composite outputs (single RCA jack colored yellow). A step up would be SVideo (funny keyboard connector). But your VCR wont support that.

My best advice for your system would be to get rid of the VCR and standardize on SVideo from the Tivo/Cable box to the HTIB. Then SVideo to the TV.

Glad to hear you are getting sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks