What's new

no sound - I'm at a total loss, please help (1 Viewer)

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Little rundown.....

I have a Denon Receiver AVR-1513. I have an LG 55LN5100 TV

At one point, I had my TVCable box, PS3, and DVD player all hooked up. When I changed source, the sound would come through the surround sound speakers, and not through the TV, unless I had the stereo off. Which was what I wanted.

Recently, I disconnected the Cable box, PS3, and DVD player.
I then ran the HDMI cable that went from the monitor port on the Denon, back up to the back of the TV port that reads HDMI IN. In my mind, that means any sound that was on the TV/monitor, would automatically go through the Denon. But that is not the case. Right now, no matter what buttons I push or toggle through, the sound will not go through the Denon. I can only seem to get sound through the TV. I even tried disconnecting the HDMI cable, and running only the optical cable for sound. Still nothing. I even swapped out HDMI cables too. nothing

When I change the Denon to FM radio, it works fine. So, I'm obviously missing something here. I am only wanting the TV to go through the Denon at this time. It's a simple set up now, but yet, I'm failing. I had no problems with MORE devices hooked up :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

Here are some pictures of what I currently have going on:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
According to those pictures, the HDMI on your TV is input and the monitor HDMI you are plugged into on the receiver is output. If you want to get sound from your TV to your receiver it won't be through HDMI because your TV doesn't have HDMI out. The only output on that TV is optical. So hook the optical out on the TV to the optical input of the receiver.

But then I'm also wondering, what could you you possibly be watching on that TV with nothing hooked up to it? No antenna, cable, or anything to the inputs?

Update: on second thought scratch that, there’s no need to have sound go from your TV to receiver because the TV is not the source of anything you watch. Just hook your DVD player, cable box and PS3 into the 3 hdmi ports on your receiver and you will be back to where you were. Why the heck did you disconnect them?

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What Mark said. You can’t get sound from the TV is there is nothing connected to it to generate sound from. On top of that, nothing is connected to your receiver that can generate sound either.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, as others have said, you need to add some sources in order to have any audio to output. Currently, based on the pics, the only sound available at the Denon is the radio tuner.

There is nothing being transmitted through the HDMI cable from the TV to the Denon. It only works in the reverse (Denon to TV, like a One Way street).

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
hmmmm, Alright, that makes sense.
The reason I disconnected everything was because I no longer use any of it.
The PS3 was only hooked up so I could watch Netflix through it. The DVD player never gets used any longer since I am streaming everything now.

About a month ago, I started using the Fire Stick. As you probably know, the fire stick allows me to watch Netflix and Amazon movies through it, so again, the PS3 and DVD player is no longer needed.

When I watch movies through the Fire Stick/TV, I was hoping to get the sound to go through the Denon.

(On a side note, although I don't think it matters, on the left side of the tv (along the edge), there is another HDMI port that is labeled as HDMI-2. I didn't look to see if it was an input/output but I imagine its' gonna be the same as the HDMI that I'm currently using.)

So is there anything that I can do, to get the sound to work for the TV?

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
So is there anything that I can do, to get the sound to work for the TV?
As Mark said above, get an Optical Digital cable and connect the Optical OUT jack on the TV to the Optical IN jack on the Denon. That should send the TV sound to the Denon, but that appears to be the only way for this to happen as that is the only output option on the TV.

upload_2019-10-10_11-41-2.png

You may need to adjust the input settings on the Denon to recognize the Optical input source.

And, yes, the HDMI-2 jack is likely to just be a second input.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Shawn, you need to grasp the concept that virtually all connections are one way. The exception is hdmi ARC, which you don't have anyway, so no need to go into that. So, components usually need to be connected to an input on the receiver (for audio) first, then video is sent from the hdmi monitor output on the receiver to the TV. So, you have two options with the Fire Stick. What I would do is connect it to one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver, and have the hdmi output to the TV, like you already have it. For some reason people get it into their heads that a Fire Stick has to be connected to the TV, but it can be connected to the receiver.

Edit: I would do that instead of what was suggested above, which was posted while I was typing. You'll get use of all audio formats (5.1 surround, when available) the way I suggested, where using the optical output will convert all your audio to 2 channel. But the optical cable option is available as a fallback. Plus, your TV seems to only have one hdmi input, so where do you connect the Fire Stick if you connect it directly to the TV?

Last edited:

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
As Mark said above, get an Optical Digital cable and connect the Optical OUT jack on the TV to the Optical IN jack on the Denon. That should send the TV sound to the Denon, but that appears to be the only way for this to happen as that is the only output option on the TV.

View attachment 63936

You may need to adjust the input settings on the Denon to recognize the Optical input source.

And, yes, the HDMI-2 jack is likely to just be a second input.

just to add here, If you refer to the OP, I mentioned that the optical cable was also connected, but nothing happened.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Shawn, you need to grasp the concept that virtually all connections are one way. The exception is hdmi ARC, which you don't have anyway, so no need to go into that. So, components usually need to be connected to an input on the receiver (for audio) first, then video is sent from the hdmi monitor output on the receiver to the TV. So, you have two options with the Fire Stick. What I would do is connect it to one of the hdmi inputs on the receiver, and have the hdmi output to the TV, like you already have it. For some reason people get it into their heads that a Fire Stick has to be connected to the TV, but it can be connected to the receiver.

Edit: I would do that instead of what was suggested above, which was posted while I was typing. You'll get use of all audio formats (5.1 surround, when available) the way I suggested, where using the optical output will convert all your audio to 2 channel. But the optical cable option is available as a fallback. Plus, your TV seems to only have one hdmi input, so where do you connect the Fire Stick if you connect it directly to the TV?

ohhhh, I am one of those that thought the fire stick needs to be connected to the TV.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Plus, your TV seems to only have one hdmi input, so where do you connect the Fire Stick if you connect it directly to the TV?

I plug the fire stick into either of the HDMI ports on the TV. It works in both. I have tried it both ways, and both work as they should.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
just to add here, If you refer to the OP, I mentioned that the optical cable was also connected, but nothing happened.
You probably just needed to reconfigure the input on your receiver. You need to tell it you're using the optical in instead of hdmi...

Still best to connect the Fire Stick directly to the receiver.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
You probably just needed to reconfigure the input on your receiver. You need to tell it you're using the optical in instead of hdmi...

Still best to connect the Fire Stick directly to the receiver.

Now that I know it doesn't need to be in the TV, I'll definitely put it into the receiver. I'll report back once I do this.
Thank you!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now that I know it doesn't need to be in the TV, I'll definitely put it into the receiver. I'll report back once I do this.
Thank you!
The only down side to this is you (probably) have to turn on the receiver to get audio. Some people want to be able to use the Fire Stick with only the TV on, and then it (usually, but not always) needs to be connected to the TV. It depends on if your receiver has a passthrough capability, but that's a whole other bag of worms.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Yes, I believe I know what you are saying here. I ran into this problem when I had everything connected. If I had, let's say the PS3 on, and turned everything off.......the next time I turn the system on, the system would remember that I had the receiver on for sound. I would need to turn the receiver on, then when everything was engaged and on, I could then turn off the receiver, and the sound would then go through the TV. So I was able to bypass the receiver by turning on, then off.

is that what you were referring to?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, probably. Of course, since you now have only one source device, you probably don't have to do that anymore.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Not that you had any doubts, but plugging the fire stick into the receiver WORKED!! I thank you.
Now, the fire stick only works when the receiver is on. So it's either surround sound all the time or nothing. Pick your poison I guess.

Now that you got that to work, I have a couple more questions that came up due to this change (maybe).

1. I notice now, that I need to turn the receiver volume up really high to get decent sound out of it. When it was set up prior to disconnecting the equipment, it didn't take much to get it loud. Now I'm at 70/100. This might have nothing to do with this, but figured I'd ask, Maybe I just need to adjust the speaker settings within the receiver.

2. I've always had this problem, but when I play the FM radio through the receiver, I have to turn the volume up really loud in order to hear anything. That was happening before I disconnected everything. Just never dove into the problem to try and fix it. Any ideas there?

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I think I figured my volume issue out. I turned up the volume of each speaker in the settings of the Denon. Guess they were just too low.

thanks all for the help

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now, the fire stick only works when the receiver is on. So it's either surround sound all the time or nothing. Pick your poison I guess.
Doh! That didn't occur to me. You can't use passthrough, because when the receiver is turned off, the Fire Stick isn't receiving power. Pick your poison is exactly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks