What's new

No sound from Sennheiser headphones? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Until recently, I was able to hear sound from my Sennheiser TR 175 when hooked into my AVR Yamaha TSR 7850. The hook up was via left/right audio analog ports at the back of the AVR. I also had to have the AVR set to Zone 2 so that sound would come out of both my external speakers and the headphones. I have tried the following, all to no avail:
1. Put in new rechargeable batteries
2. Put in regular batteries
3. Unhooked the headphones from the back of the AVR and hooked into the headphone port in the front of the AVR.

So the question is: Is there anyway of finding out which device is failing, the AVR or the headphones?
Thanks.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Have you tried using them on another AVR? That would be the quickest way to tell if the headphones have failed.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Looks like the headphones have failed since they failed to work on the Zone 2 preamp outputs or the headphone output of the receiver.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Could the pairing have been lost? Have you tried redoing the pairing to the transmitter?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I assume you can tell from the indicators on the receiver that it’s picking up the signal from the headphones.

Since you’ve tried two different outputs from the receiver (Zone 2 and the headphone jack) I’m betting the headphone system is the problem.

The only other thing I can suggest is to make sure the volume control on the headphones is not turned down all the way.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Could the pairing have been lost? Have you tried redoing the pairing to the transmitter?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'll give it a try anyway.
Until recently, I was able to hear sound from my Sennheiser TR 175 when hooked into my AVR Yamaha TSR 7850. The hook up was via left/right audio analog ports at the back of the AVR. I also had to have the AVR set to Zone 2 so that sound would come out of both my external speakers and the headphones. I have tried the following, all to no avail:
1. Put in new rechargeable batteries
2. Put in regular batteries
3. Unhooked the headphones from the back of the AVR and hooked into the headphone port in the front of the AVR.

So the question is: Is there anyway of finding out which device is failing, the AVR or the headphones?
Thanks.
First, let me thank you guys for stepping in with help. Second, my bad in that since I have been fooling around some more with the Sennheiser RS175 issue, I find that I had given you some mis-leading information. I think that I have now dummied down to what the problem maybe. Here's what I did, and here's what I am now finding:

1. I was using a analog audio cable that was hooking into the TSR's l/r ports of Zone 2 via an RCA adapter. In this manner, when the AVR was switched to Zone 2, I could listen on the phones while my wife could listen to the speakers. Phones worked great until it stopped producing sound.

2. Now here's the big discovery: The phones do work! The problem may be with either the AVR's Zone 2 ports, and/or with the RCA audio l/r adapter. I had disconnected the audio cable from the adapter and placed its jack into the gold jack adapter that came with the phones and then placed into the headphone port on the AVR's front...and it worked. When I first reported on doing this, I must not have placed the jack adapter all the way in its port.

3. OK, so the phones work, but we don't know if the problem stems from the AVR Zone 2 ports or the RCA adapter. I could get a new adapter, which would answer the question. What are your thoughts?

4. Assuming the problem is with the Zone 2 ports, this then leads to another problem: Would there be another setup in which I could listen to the phones while my wife can listen to the speakers?

5. So, at present, I'm using the front headphone port and the speaker sound is off under this setup. Would using an optical sound cable make any difference other than maybe sound quality?

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Been doing more fiddling, and here's where I'm at:

1. Placed the RS175's audio cable directly into the the AVR's headphone jack (using supplied adapter) in the front of unit. At first I didn't think it worked, but the headphone do work when hooked into the dedicated headphone jack (and sound no longer will come out of speakers.) So, the headphones do work and the AVR responds accordingly (ie, speaker sound off.) Next,

2. Replaced the RCA Y audio cable with a new one. This cable attaches to the Zone 2 L/R jacks at the back of the AVR and the RS175's audio cable attaches to RCA cable. Interestingly, at first, this appeared to work with sound only coming out of of the right channel. And now, lately, this is not working either.

So, what do we have: Headphones are working and the AVR's front headphone jack is working. Problem appears to stem from the AVR's Zone 2 connection and/or Zone 2 wiring.

My goal is to be able to listen via headphones while sound still comes out of speakers. This is enabled by using Zone 2. As the Zone 2 jacks in back of AVR don't appear to allow for this, is there another way to achieve my goal?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The manual indicates that Zone 2 will play both analog and digital sources. Is there a Zone 2 setting for automatically recognizing the input signal?

What about the Zone 2 Initial Volume setting? (P 137 manual)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
The manual indicates that Zone 2 will play both analog and digital sources. Is there a Zone 2 setting for automatically recognizing the input signal?

What about the Zone 2 Initial Volume setting? (P 137 manual)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks for the suggestions, but my settings/volume are correct. Interestingly, I have used a new RCA Y adapter and was getting some sound, but now I'm not getting any sound through the phones. However, and luckily, I can still utilize the headphone jack on the front of the AVR. Not ideal as under this condition, the speakers are off and I'd like them to be on.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Worse case, you can use the Yamaha's main L/R outputs. The level will change with the main volume control, but it should be workable since the headphones have their own volume control to balance that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Worse case, you can use the Yamaha's main L/R outputs. The level will change with the main volume control, but it should be workable since the headphones have their own volume control to balance that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Can't do as you suggest as the main outputs are already being used for my 5.1 set up. However, as my wife really doesn't care about surround sound, perhaps you can suggest a set up in which I'd get stereo from my headphones and my wife just get sound???

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You can use a simple splitter to get the signal to both the Sennheisers and your main-channel amp.

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I sort of get what you are suggesting, but I need some help to know just how to do the hook ups. Here's what I don't understand: By "main-channel amp," I assume you mean using the L/R output jacks...but they are already in use for my 5.1. Obviously, confused! Here's a link to the Yamaha's back (https://reverb.com/item/47953197-ya...-fi-bt-dolby-atmos-alexa-voice-cntrl-all-accs), toggle through the Yammy's picture until you get to pictures of it back. Maybe you could use it to show me how to do the hook ups? At present, I'm using Surround/Center/Front/Subwoofer/Zone Out-Zone 2 jacks. I've got the signal splitters, but just don't know how to apply. Thanks.
You can use a simple splitter to get the signal to both the Sennheisers and your main-channel amp.

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I don’t think we’re on the same page. I was talking about the RCA pre-outputs. Your unit does not have those for the center and surround channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I don’t think we’re on the same page. I was talking about the RCA pre-outputs. Your unit does not have those for the center and surround channels.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
So, in other words, my Zone2 outputs appear to be corrupted and I will not be able to attain my goal of listening to headphones while speakers are also on?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, I'm saying your Post #16 does not make sense because your amp doesn't have RCA outputs for all the channels you listed, even though you indicate the same are all in use. We need to get that straightened out before I can proceed with advice on the splitters.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
No, I'm saying your Post #16 does not make sense because your amp doesn't have RCA outputs for all the channels you listed, even though you indicate the same are all in use. We need to get that straightened out before I can proceed with advice on the splitters.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Sorry, Wayne, that I'm not more accurate in my statements...but this area is not one that I have any expertise in. Anyway, I have 2 main speakers, 1 center speaker, 2 rear speakers and 1 sub. They are hooked up to their corresponding L/R jacks at the AVR's back. No sound is coming from the TV. Really don't understand "...your amp doesn't have RCA outputs for all the channels you listed..."???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks