What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If anyone wants Yoshi's Woolly World, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, or Mario Party 10, Wal-Mart has the Amiibo editions of each for $19.96.

Not in-store yet, but I was able to get them to price match Yoshi's Woolly World and Captain Toad after they verified the price on their website. I had bought the non-Amiibo edition of the former for $30 a few weeks ago when I noticed it was the last copy and figured I'd never beat that price, but luckily hadn't opened it yet and was able to return it.

With Zelda preodered, I'm down to three expensive games Wii U games left to buy; Star Fox Zero, Super Mario Maker, and Paper Mario: Color Splash. Still want more than that, but they're all $30 and under titles.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
More Virtual Console releases on the Wii U appeared yesterday. Glad to see that this service looks set to live on for at least a while.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo's revised sales statistics at their Japanese site are neat. Much more than just the old pdf files that existed before. For example, here's the round up of all Nintendo published million sellers on Nintendo's pair of last-gen systems. Before this, only the top 10 performers were listed.

YSgU455.png

Still no Twilight Princess HD. I'd be curious how far away that one is from making the cut.

4TJN3Fq.png

Some other neat statistics...

Xcn4zhf.png

More than once, I've tried to remind someone that the GameCube enjoyed some pretty decent 3rd party support. Indeed, it has one of the lowest percentages here.

vmW70os.png

RX9dF5U.png

rKy7CLt.png

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Leo! This is way off-topic, but I saw your post in a thread about the MegaCart on another forum. Do you know the general criteria to determine which Japanese games it allows to work with an American Sega CD? Maybe a list of games? I wish it worked like the carts for the Saturn.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Greg, I don't remember too many details at this point other than the basic features of it.

I'd instead recommend an Everdrive cartridge these days, which I can personally vouch for being a great accessory for the system. You can not only load a region free bios with that with no compatibility issues that I've ever heard of (Which I've yet to do with mine, with my Sega CD out of commission), but it also provides scores of other benefits such as these.

-Load rom files stored off SD card (The MegaCart allowed rom loading, but it was a pain and limited).
-Sega Master System and 32X compatibility for rom loading (With no need of a Power Base Converter).
-Activate Game Genie and Play Action Replay cheats without those cheat cartridges being used.

Even save states are supported, allowing you to freeze most games and resume later right where you left off, rather than rely on passwords (Although that last one only works with the ~$150 model, rather than the much more economical $50 version like I have).

Much more versatile and useful than the old MegaCart.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/flash-carts/everdrive-md-genesis-mega-drive/cartridges/

http://krikzz.com/store/

Just be careful where you order from, since there are inferior counterfeits out there. I'd stick to StoneAgeGamer, or buy direct from the maker of them in the second link. Elsewhere like Ebay, and you'll quite likely get a clone that doesn't work exactly right.

Last edited:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's good to know the $50 version also does the CD bios functions, because that $166 price is steep! I thought about trying to go the physical Japanese Mega-CD route, but those look to be scarce and expensive. Meanwhile, Japanese games are typically cheaper than their US counterparts. Thanks for the info! I wouldn't have really know about the Everdrive otherwise.

Richard_Hersey

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard Hersey
I am really happy that Nintendo still care about wii u even though there is no coming games ahead. Have it two years ago and for me BOTW is the great last swan song from it.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
To not let this bump go to waste for Wii U fans, the physical release of Axiom Verge has been reconfirmed recently. It's the best Metroid game that isn't named Metroid that the gaming world has seen, in my book.

It just won't be carried in normal retail channels. The Axiom Verge creator said brick & mortar retailers weren't interested in stocking it, unlike the other versions that can already be preordered. So I imagine that means it's going to be an online exclusive.

On the bright side, it shouldn't be extremely limited like with the Limited Run Games model, since Nintendo reportably demands a much higher minimum print run. So whenever orders open via Amazon or whatever, I imagine we're looking at a few weeks availability to preorder it.

Going to be a pleasant way for me to call it quits with Wii U releases (And the delay just might mean it's the last Wii U release of them all, if Just Dance 2018 beats it to market and we don't see a Wii U follow-up a year later).

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
The Wii U release schedule is almost non-existent, I'm afraid.

For retail releases post-Zelda, there's the just released Just Dance 2018 (Also on the Wii), Cars 3 came out last summer, Darksiders: Warmastered Edition arrived in May, and the publisher told me the other day that North America is still going to get Axiom Verge on disc. And if backwards compatible Wii releases count, Let's Sing 2018 just appeared there a week or so ago.

Nothing else appears on the horizon for retail releases, although I wouldn't bet against Just Dance 2019 a year from now. And that leaves the upcoming Zelda DLC that's expected to be a significant addition to the game, a slowing slate of independent eShop release, and a handful of TurboGrafx-16 classics from Konami each month on the Virtual Console.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Limited Run Games shipped out Axiom Verge a few days ago after taking orders a couple of weeks ago. Felt nice to get a brand new physical Wii U release in the mail this afternoon, over two years after Breath of the Wild (which I thought would be the end for releases of interest to me).

I believe this is my third most expensive Wii U game. I mostly waited on sales and only paid full price for Mario Kart 8 (Thanks primarily to the free digital game offer that sweetened the deal for buying at release) and of course Breath of the Wild. So at $45 after tax and shipping, this would be #3.

Will be interesting to see if this is the end. Wii U (And Wii) got the latest Just Dance last Fall, so it's possible Ubisoft will return yet again later this year. And I have a feeling Axiom Verge sold out quicker than LRG hoped it would, so maybe they'll see about bringing some other digital exclusive out on physical disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks