What's new

Nintendo drops Wii U $50 due to poor sales (1 Viewer)

Eve Babcock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eve Babcock
I don't have Wii U, but I bought Nintendo 3DS last year. Unfortunately, after finishing one game, I stopped using it already. :(

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
If we have any Sega 3D Classics fans around here, they've announced a new 3DS compilation for Japan. Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume III will release over there this December, with no word yet on a North American date (We've only gotten volume 2 so far).

This will include the remaining eShop releases that didn't already appear in the first two collections, along with four new titles. The arcade version of Turbo Outrun, which is my holy grail of classic arcade games yet to make it home in arcade accurate form, is the first of the four additions to be confirmed. The next announcement happens during the upcoming Tokyo Game Show.

gfs_29243_2_12.jpg

No word on a North American release, but hopefully they at the very least bring these four new games to our eShop. Then we'd at least have everything available to download on the Nintendo eShop, even though hard copies are preferred by classic gamers like myself.

If it wasn't for Sega, I don't think that there would be any classic arcade games on the 3DS. But they've done a good job of filling the void this generation. Hope it continues on the NX.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo has announced that Mario Kart 8 has surpassed the 8 million mark. Pretty darn impressive on a platform with just 13 million units sold.

No wonder they're likely porting it to the Switch, since it probably could easily double that number when all is said and done (And potentially keep right on rolling; Mario Kart Wii for instance is still readily available at retail new for $30 after all these years and keeps on going up every sales quarter, with it almost at 38 million copies sold today).

Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume III: Final Stage will include the remaining eShop releases that didn't already appear in the first two collections, along with four new titles.

Along with the previously announced arcade port of Turbo Outrun, the remaining three additions to the program were announced a while back. They're Columns (Arcade), Thunder Force III (Genesis), and Alien Syndrome (Arcade).

Not as exciting as Turbo Outrun, but Sega will still get my money if they bring this west.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The small clip of Mario Kart in the Switch reveal looked like a new Mario Kart to me, not a port of 8. Time will tell. Either way, it really is a huge franchise for them and always sells well.

If you look at the top 10 Wii U games, they were all made by Nintendo and sold a total of around 43 million units. That's pretty darn good.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
My 8 year old still loves his Wii U. Plays Minecraft with his school friends via the tablet. I hear them all daily laughing and coming up with new ideas for their "worlds". :)

We are taking it on our upcoming road trip as well.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure the video showed MK8? I mean, every MK game reuses old tracks from previous games, but the video showed each kart having 2 items, which hasn't been in the series since Double Dash on the GameCube. I don't see why the video suggested MK8 any more than possibly MK9. I think they'd be well served by basically releasing MK9 at this point but including content from 8....just like every MK game has done.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I suppose it could be Mario Kart 9, but I kind of doubt that they'd select to remake the very same GameCube track that they just did in the immediate predecessor.

We've only seen a track remade in such quick succession once since retro circuits became a thing in this franchise on the DS, and it was Rainbow Road which is the most iconic track from the SuperNes original rather than an ordinary GameCube track that isn't held in any special regard. And Rainbow Road only appeared on Mario Kart 8 after its 3DS inclusion in MK7, via the DLC add-ons.

Given that and the very similar look to everything, I subscribe to it likely being an enhanced port like has been widely speculated on, rather than Mario Kart 9.

Makes sense given the strength of this title and the Wii U's install base, since there's a lot of untapped sales potential here. And what you've noticed sounds exactly like something Nintendo would do to help shake things up to keep it fresh for those that already played it on the Wii U.

I think they'd be well served by basically releasing MK9 at this point but including content from 8....just like every MK game has done.

It has quickly become a tradition so it's easy to forget, but this is actually something relatively new to the franchise.

Ignoring the watered down remnants of the original SuperNes tracks that were unlockable on the GBA title, the first four entries in this series didn't do this. It wasn't until just a generation ago where retro tracks entered the formula.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The first 4 MKs didn't have retro tracks, but the next 4 did, which is 50% of the series. At what point is something "relatively new" or "series tradition?" Regardless, I think from a marketing perspective, saying, "Here's the brand new Nintendo Switch with Mario Kart 8 Plus!" rather than just making MK9 doesn't look as nice. Even Splatoon looked different enough in the teaser that people are speculating it's Splatoon 2 instead of just an enhanced port. I mean, it could technically just be an enhanced port that they call "Splatoon 2" or "Mario Kart 9" but I really think Nintendo would be better served by at least pretending these games are brand new and not just ports of old games. By the time the Switch is out, Mario Kart 8 will be 3 years old.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I was just stating that it actually wasn't a feature that every Mario Kart title has implemented, after you said it was there since the start.

As for the naming, I think you raise some valid points. But even if they are ports with significant enhancements that are perhaps enough to pose as sequels, what we'd be discussing still would have some validity since they'd still be ports rather than the fully original efforts we're accustomed to.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Maybe you took my comment, "every Mario Kart game," too literally. I guess I was more referring to the idea that new MK games reuse tracks from older games, so a MK9 having a track from MK8 would make sense.

Whether its a port or not doesn't matter, it's what they call it. I really don't see Mario Kart 8 Switch or something being the name, but easily see them wanting to launch the Switch with Mario Kart 9.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Rumor mill is saying that the last Wii U consoles to be produced will roll off the production line this week.

Sad to see what has been a fine console start to fade away. Despite clearly recognizing on the pages of this forum that it struggled commercially, that has meant very little to me from a gaming standpoint. There has been no shortage of fun games that have appealed to me, and I have a hefty backlog of games that I've yet to play. In fact I'd consider this one of my favorite consoles and I started with the Atari 2600, so I've pretty much experienced them all.

And several games I'm looking forward to playing remain to even be released, despite this late date for the Wii U. There's Zelda: Breath of the Wild of course, which I fully intend to play in its Wii U form. And there's also the upcoming Stardew Valley port that I've been looking forward to. And if it ever happens and is reasonably priced, I'd love to try out Kerbal Space Program here.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I wouldn't normally post something like this since deals happen all the time, but since it's a particular good one, Twilight Princess HD is $25 in Wal-Mart's Black Friday ad.

That's right about the magic mark for me for a remaster of a favorite game, so I'll be trying to get my hands on it. Hard to beat a 50% discount and with the Switch on the horizon, who knows if this will ever enter the Nintendo Selects program down the line.

Been a good Fall so far for 3DS/Wii U owners interested in deals.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
If we have any Sega 3D Classics fans around here, they've announced a new 3DS compilation for Japan. Sega 3D Classics Collection Volume III will release over there this December, with no word yet on a North American date (We've only gotten volume 2 so far).

This will include the remaining eShop releases that didn't already appear in the first two collections, along with four new titles. The arcade version of Turbo Outrun, which is my holy grail of classic arcade games yet to make it home in arcade accurate form, is the first of the four additions to be confirmed. The next announcement happens during the upcoming Tokyo Game Show.

gfs_29243_2_12.jpg

No word on a North American release, but hopefully they at the very least bring these four new games to our eShop. Then we'd at least have everything available to download on the Nintendo eShop, even though hard copies are preferred by classic gamers like myself.

If it wasn't for Sega, I don't think that there would be any classic arcade games on the 3DS. But they've done a good job of filling the void this generation. Hope it continues on the NX.

WOW! I am an Outrun fanatic and never got the chance to play this one.
I love Sega, and Streets OF Rage 2(best beat em up ever, and that music) a no-brainer. imports work on all DS systems correct?

I will get a 3ds XL-Lime Green(Amazon exclusive) and I promise you it will be the last Nintendo portable I ever buy. If for no other reason than I believe the Nintendo Switch eliminates the need for a new portable system. So from the original Gameboy to the 3DS, it has been a damn good run for Nintendo.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Sadly, the 3DS is region locked. But hopefully Sega brings these west in some form.

We've gotten all the Genesis and arcade releases in their 3D Classics program either via the eShop for some like Outrun or by way of the domestic release of the 2nd of these soon to be 3 compilations.

So I'm hopeful Sega does something here for Turbo Outrun and the other three additions in 2017.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Nintendo confirmed today that the last Wii U's destined for North America have now been shipped to retailers.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
In our house, for an 8 year old boy, the WiiU was a "success". He (and his bigger sister) both grew tired of the "old school" Wii style of playing, the tablet on the Wii U was/is a hit with him. He loves being able to sit on the sofa and build his Minecraft worlds with his friends while the rest of us watch TV, chat with them (audio/video) and play games on car rides all via the tablet. It really is a great little gadget.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Anyone go for Twilight Princess HD yesterday?

Was in-store only it turned out and I didn't want to deal with the crowds, but showed up about 4 hours after the sale started and they still had two copies of this (And most other games were still available as well). So it worked out well from my perspective. :)

I'm surprised too that it was the Amiibo edition. I figured it would be be just the game at this price, although I've never actually seen any other edition available for sale here.

Hopefully this thing will have some interesting use in Breath of the Wild next year.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Anyone go for Twilight Princess HD yesterday?

Was in-store only it turned out and I didn't want to deal with the crowds, but showed up about 4 hours after the sale started and they still had two copies of this (And most other games were still available as well). So it worked out well from my perspective. :)

I'm surprised too that it was the Amiibo edition. I figured it would be be just the game at this price, although I've never actually seen any other edition available for sale here.

Hopefully this thing will have some interesting use in Breath of the Wild next year.

Where was this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks