What's new

Next batch of MGM 'Midnight Movies' announced (1 Viewer)

James Alexis

Agent
FANTASTIC effort from MGM!

Really puts Universal to shame on the prices they were charging for their Classic Monster Double bills.

$30 for them and only $14.95 for the MGM double features.

Way to go MGM!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Deepdisdcountdvd will probablyb have the double features for $9.36 shipped. That's $4.68 to own The Masque of the Red Death. Unbelievable!

DennisTuck

Grip
The only things that I had ever heard about the Special Editions of the Fog and Escape from New York was that they were expected sometime late in 2002. Now, with the announcement that the Fog will be out at the end of August, we'll just have to have faith that the SE for Escape gets announced soon for Sept.-Dec. sometime. Hopefully they'll use the original poster artwork for the SE cover. I've got a full sized poster of it on my wall and its a classic.
The Creeper :thumb:

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
What happened to "The Vampire Lovers"?? We were supposed to get a special edition.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
As for The Last Man On Earth and The Vampire Lovers, the current rumor is that they'll be part of another wave in November.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
While I won't go so far as to say that MGM have become my favorite Studio/DVD house, I will say that they have made a tremendous turnaround from just last year, I personally think they learned quite a lot from the HTF chat.

Good work MGM!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Paging Michael Allred. Any word on whether this Return of the Living Dead SE is going to make Dan happy? It seems too soon for them to use his new work. :frowning:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
At last, Curtis (Night Tide, Queen Of Blood, Ruby) Harrington's criminally neglected What's The Matter With Helen will get the DVD exposure that will allow more people to discover it!
Excellent performances by Debbie Reynolds, Shelley Winters and Dennis Weaver and a great David Raksin (Laura) score make this underrated thriller a must have.

M

MaxY

Isn't there already a double Feature DVD that has Last Man On Earth on it? I don't think it was from MGM though. I am almost positive I saw it in a Best Buy about a month ago.

Max

"It Takes All Kind Of Critters..."

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: This is GREAT news indeed! I'll be picking up:
The Fog SE
Last House on the Left SE
Return of the Living Dead
Motel Hell/Deranged
Teen Wolf/Teen Wolf 2

Will K

Screenwriter
Isn't there already a double Feature DVD that has Last Man On Earth on it? I don't think it was from MGM though.
Most certainly not MGM. Diamond I think is the label. The transfer on that one is just unbearable: very beat up, washed-out print with no contrast. There are some titles you just can't pass up for $6.99. This ain't one of them. Horrendous! Vincent Price surely deserves better.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
MGM IS great, nice to see people give them some credit. Imagine if Warner had these titles...we wouldn't see them untill 2012 at least!

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Between this large batch of films from MGM and the other from Warner, I'm chomping on the bit for August. I will be picking up every title in the Midnite Movies collection.

My only gripe (forgive my analness) is with the doubling up of two movies on one dvd. How does one catogorize these discs in their DVD collection now? I was doing it alphbetically, but now what? Do I do it by which film was released at the theater first, which film is presented first on the DVD, or what? If MGM was going to test the double-feature DVD format, they should have started with the 2 Dr. Phibes on one DVD or the 2 Dr. Goldfoot films. At least with the Universal double-features you could group them under Dracula, Mummy, Frankenstein, etc. Most of these double-features have no rhyme or reason (well the Auntie Roo/Helen one kinda does). Personally, I prefer one movie per disc. Any suggestions?

M

MaxY

Will,

Thanks for that info, as the reason I remembered seeing it was I had considered picking it up. Now I know better. I will wait and see if MGM does it justice.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks