What's new

Newbie - Needs Advice on setting up audio/home theater system in new home (1 Viewer)

DMGHOOPS

Auditioning
Real Name
Dawn
My husband and I just purchased a new home, that the previous owners had an audio system wired and installed. The area behind our entertainment system has some sort of audio plugins, that are black and red in color. From what we can tell, there are 3 zones, one in our living room, one in our bedroom passing through from the living room to the bedroom wall on the opposite side of the wall, and one outside in the pool area. There are 4 Bose speakers in our living room ceiling and 2 Bose speakers outside in the pool area ceiling. The bedroom appears to have wires passed through from the living room that probably may have just connected to the tv or speakers that were not in the ceiling. My husband states that the speakers are not powered speakers, and thus we need to provide the power through the receiver/amplifier. Currently we already had an old stereo receiver, a Sony STR-K502 surround sound system.
So here is what I would like to be able to do once the system is set up: I would like to be able to stream Amazon Prime music & Pandora to the speakers through our wi-fi, and I would like to be able to stream music from my Android smartphone or computer by Bluetooth to the speakers as well. In addition, we have a Samsung 4k TV, and I would like to have the receiver act as a surround sound system through the 4 in-ceiling speakers and through our existing subwoofer and maybe a front speaker as well
So my question is, is there a way to utilize the Sony STR-K502 in this scenario and adding in something that would provide the additional connections and power we would need for the other speakers, and also adding in something like the Bose SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter? If not, what new system would you recommend for this scenario, keeping in mind that we would like decent sound, but want to keep costs down?
Thanks for your help!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This is probably a whole home stereo system and not a home theater set up.

Welcome to HTF! If you post pictures or a layout diagram we can help you better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks