What's new

New X-Men dvd. (1 Viewer)

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I just read over at dvdfile.com that 20th century fox is gonna discontinue the current x-men dvd and there will be a new dvd with an extended version of the film to coincide with x-men 2. Just for everyone's info, X-Men 2 doesn't come out till May 2nd, 2003. Hope this new dvd has dts and lots and lots of extras. Can't wait!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
AAARRGGGHHHHHH!
They were asked that WAY back, and didnt Fox promise there wouldnt be another X-Men DVD down the line???:angry: :angry:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm willing to bet this is basically the same DVD in a different package - similar to the "new" Men in Black coming out.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I just checked out DVD file and I don't see anything about an extended version.

And no, Fox never said that there wouldn't be another X-Men DVD.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Singer and Fox have said a couple of times X-Men would warrant a better special edition treatment around the time of the sequel's release. Singer likes time to pass so he can reflect better on the experience of having made a movie a few years after it's initial release. Makes good sense to me.

The current disc is disscontinued in June I believe.

Dan

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
From DVD File:
Also of note is the discontinuation of the X-Men DVD, with a new special edition version due out to coincide with the theatrical/video release of X-Men 2
We were also told repeatedly that there would be no special edition. Even after Singer had mentioned the possibility of a special edition, we were told that there wouldn't be one.
That said, I don't mind. I'd rather wait for a good SE than get a SE right away that is filled with nothing but marketing fluff. Besides, isn't X-men 2 quite a ways off? Given the contract nightmares of getting an X-men 2 made, I'm more surprised that we are getting a sequel. :)
-Dave

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
X2 (as in X-squared) is just beginning filming I think. Most of the cast was more than pleased to come back and there may have been some kind of stipulations in their original contracts that locked them to sequels. Either way, it won't be out until summer 2003.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
We were also told repeatedly that there would be no special edition.
That's not true. We were told repeatedly that there were no plans for a SE, but never was it indicated that one wouldn't be released in the future.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
See, I recall just the opposite: I thought the possibility of a future SE was alluded to one more than one occasion.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
See, I recall just the opposite: I thought the possibility of a future SE was alluded to one more than one occasion.
It was! Heck, myself and about 50 other HTF members where in the same room as Bryan Singer at Fox on the 2000 HTF LA meet when he said this himself!

This news feels like a shock to some, like an SE is coming too soon after the initial release. Well, consider it has nearly been 18 months since the original disc's release, and by the time this SE comes out well over 2 years would have passed (probably two and a half).

This is good news for the future as far as I am concerned. I am not bitter about it at all because I've never been lead to believe by any source it was not going to happen eventually.

Dan

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i've always been an x men fan and i loved the film as it was.. then one day i heard that brian ended up cutting about an hour and a half of footage and since that day.. i have been eagerly awaiting alot more of that footage showing the light of day. this is the best news i've heard in a while and i can't wait til this disk comes out.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I actually recall Peter Staddon saying that no such disc was being worked on *at that time*, but that it might be revisited to co-incide with the sequel.

That said, I can't say that I'm interested in another version of this movie on DVD, unless it's some sort of director's cut or something. The current disc has awesome picture and sound, and that's the most important to me. How much better can the video and audio be on a new disc? That's the way I feel about it anyway. To each his own.

Regards,

Dan

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I for one can't wait. I'll definately be buying it. X2 begins filming in May 2002 with most of the cast returning except for Ray Park who played Toad because he is gonna star in Iron Fist...but maybe he'll have a small part. And X2 will begin the summer season of 2003 in the beginning of May. So the new dvd might come out somewhere in that time frame. Also it was my mistake about the extended version...I thought it said that it would contain an extended version of the film but it actually said special edition version which I hope would have an extended version via branching unlike the current dvd which makes you press a stupid button to get the extended cut. Also, hope it contains dts. And this time let it be a keep case this time around.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Damn, a new X-Men dvd? And I thought the 2disc release was gorgeous enough! I wonder if a DTS track would sound any better?!

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
And I thought the 2disc release was gorgeous enough
What 2-disc release? The only one out in R1 is a single disc.

I have to agree with the earlier posters. This was completely expected, not to mention that the only news we have is that the single disc is being pulled in anticipation of a future SE to promote the sequel. No biggie.

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks